Anyone notice grocery prices going up here lately?

Kenny202

Funny you mention about beef. I heard in Australia it was simply too expensive to buy last 6 months. We get Aussie beef here never been cheaper and its not old frozen stock either. As for serves yes 100%. Seems to be the norm here a manufacturer will make a product that is good and obviously sell well. Then they will start to deplete it somehow to increase profit and ends up a pale shadow of its former self. We were buying hot dogs here. Company had 100% pork and chicken. The pork were more expensive than the chicken by 20 baht. Next thing they were doing a pork and chicken blend, and the other chicken one. The price never dropped. Now they only do the 100% chicken one at the same price the premium pork one was 2 years ago, and pork prices haven't increased last 2 years. 

Yeah it is always interesting.  Before Pand I could buy most of my groceries for 2,000 baht.  Now it is closer to 3 and not always able to get what I need.  However the member of my family that is really <deleted> is my cat.  

Getting his favourite cat food is hit and miss as I guess they have trouble importing it or something.

These are tumultuous times we live in and anything and everything can and will go up/down or sideways, so while some stuff goes up due to disruption in the workforce and transportation shortage of material and what have have you, so know when and where to shop good prices and bargains are there for those with the keen eye...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

The laws of supply demand only work correctly when the market is largely left alone to do what it does. Prices will rise or fall depending on where the supply/demand lines cross.  

It's when government step in to interfere with the markets that the proverbial hits the fan.  Globally we are in  for a perfect storm of government interventionist fallout.  Globally circa 40% of surplus printed fiat  .

Great analysis chum

41 minutes ago, rodknock said:

you do not expect the prices to go down??

15Kg gas has reduced from 400bht to 365bht this month.

I've not really noticed anything going up in price.

75" LG TV is down from 40kbht to 35kbht.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

Other day at Makro,  chicken breasts at 45 baht a Kilo.   My son tells me there nearly  $15  ( about 360 baht)a kilo in Australia.

My wife  got talking to the lady sells those fried banana  or potato things  at a roadside stall, the lady was saying  everything she  has to buy, cooking oil, bananas, coconut, gas, etc has gone up, but she is afraid to raise her prices, as she will lose customers.

43 minutes ago, tonray said:

Oh dear.. The sky is falling once again on ThaiVisa...when will the misery end ?

Hardly -  it's reality.  Don't bother posting inane comments - just a waste of time to read them 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Most of the food I buy is on sale more often than not. (Blue Diamond almonds, King Oscar sardines, Mainland cheese, Anchor butter)   I only buy when on sale and stock up at those times.

Add to that the 10% (average) discount codes for happyfresh delivery (prices are the same as in the store so it’s cheaper to have my groceries delivered for ฿50).

Then factor in that I’m now getting 10% more baht per USD compared to 2 years ago.

Steaks are cheaper.  Chicken is the same.  Broccoli and lettuce are hit and miss with price and availability.

So, for me, groceries are much less expensive than pre-pandemic.

This could only be one person lol. Hope you are doing ok bro

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Most of the food I buy is on sale more often than not. (Blue Diamond almonds, King Oscar sardines, Mainland cheese, Anchor butter)   I only buy when on sale and stock up at those times.

Add to that the 10% (average) discount codes for happyfresh delivery (prices are the same as in the store so it’s cheaper to have my groceries delivered for ฿50).

Then factor in that I’m now getting 10% more baht per USD compared to 2 years ago.

Steaks are cheaper.  Chicken is the same.  Broccoli and lettuce are hit and miss with price and availability.

So, for me, groceries are much less expensive than pre-pandemic.

You mentioned Mainland cheese. Good up here in Lotus last week . Mainland chedder vintage 24 months old appeared at 62B for 250g pack . The word soon got round to 3 ferlung here . I had 4 packs , Bruce the Australis Vulgaris bought 8 packs and another bought 5 , all gone now. but still check when in there. BARGAIN !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dinga said:

With packeted goods, have also noticed the serves are much smaller when the price remains the same.

I started noticing this practice with M&Ms a few years ago, same price/fewer M&Ms.  Then I heard there's a name for this sneaky practice, "Shrinkflation".

In economics, shrinkflation is the practice of reducing the size or quantity of a product while the price of the product remains the same.

• Like 2

Seasonal fluctuations, import cost fluctuations, production costs for energy , transport etc.

Inflation never ceases and as a factor in the financial capacity to keep up with it is a strange measure of the "success" of an economy.

No surprise when profits are also calculated as a percentage in rake off .

The only food item I have seen a sustained major leap in price is eggs .

For the rest where I note many mention imported items consider the general change in exchange rates. The availability and relatively low cost of bland corn fed Australian beef is likely due to a surplus in supply now China has rejected it despite quite humorously a good percentage of it probably coming from Chinese owned operations.