New plan to handle covid posititve foreigners?

asiam110

so far the option was cheaper hospitel (from around 30k) or more expensive hospital (around 60k). That what insurance is for.

Some cases of foreigners in field hospitals (that was on phuket at empty student campus - thai in large common rooms, halls, foreigners is dormitories 2 per room). But there are no more field hospitals in bangkok, pattaya. They are in the 4 far south provinces). 

in bangkok post article "Covid fears mount as Bangkok eyes tourists" one sentence is about transfering positives from AQ hotel to hospital. That is normal procedure.

Edited by internationalism

I understand official policy is for asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic people under 60, who live alone, or with one other person, to be allowed to self isolate. Those over 60 or who live with family must be incarcerated. A friend works at a clinic, he told me this.

• Like 1

for arriving foreigners there would be hospitel or hospital, that's what they confirmed.

They don't want to risk another unknown strain.

It also brings insurance money and large profit margin for private hospitals. 

Controlling positive foreigners at their homes, is more difficult task, even because of language barrier - local health volunteers rather don't speak any foreign language.

Many thai would prefer to go to hospital, where they have some basic medical care and are checked for any symptoms

23 hours ago, asiam110 said:

but I do wonder if anyone has actually asked their non-thai insurance if that extends to paying for a mandated quarantined hospital stay when not actually sick other than a positive test.

Each person needs to check that with their insurance company. Some have reported on Facebook that, if not, to get around it, you just need to fake a few symptoms, with which the hospital will happily collude and treat.

Edited by SunsetT

37 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The hotel we are staying in in BKK Nov 4 to Nov 15 is now one of the one night quarantine hotels.

Are the people quarantining allowed to wander about, use the gym and pool, go outside????

yes, they can just after test results.

But you can't if you are in 10 days quarantine, you will stay on another floor from them. Maybe they will allow gym for short time every day after the second test, probably around 5th day.

Still, you can open balcony and communicate with them on the other floors, for example "need 3 boxes of chang, please". Probably safer under cover of dark. Take with you empty cans on check out

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I have seen 2 reports on Facebook, some time ago, that Emirates inclusive insurance paid when the claimant's farang policy would not..

Do you have a link? I recall the story about the falang girl in Phuket who hoped emirates insurance would pay but as usual there was no follow up to the story

On 10/29/2021 at 7:01 PM, asiam110 said:

Do you have a link? I recall the story about the falang girl in Phuket who hoped emirates insurance would pay but as usual there was no follow up to the story

It was some time ago and probably on the Facebook page 'Thailand ASQ Hotels'. If u use the search icon top right on there for 'Emirates' it should be listed.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:31 AM, asiam110 said:

when not actually sick other than a positive test.

Some plans cover Asymptomatic incarceration. Some do not. The list I saw somewhere here yesterday (or link to plans) clearly says this in red letters.

I assume they'll use the hospiTEL, or hospital, scheme as before.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:05 AM, Heng said:

Maybe some kind of isolated camp with limited recreational activities and social drinking.   Or is that plan A?   

Butlins Isle of Wight ? Ho di Hi

Seriousy the Insurance needs to be explcit to cover all eventualites including cost privacy if they ever hope to restore tourist confidence

from richard barrow newsletter:

"the consequences of being a HRC. At the moment, I am told if you test negative but are sitting next to someone who tested positive, you are both taken to hospital for ten days. There is no home quarantine or hotel quarantine. However, they are now working on reducing this to only 3-4 days if you test negative on the second test. On the other hand, the person who tested positive has to stay in hospital for at least ten days."

so they are lessening rules - it use to be 14 days for all asymptomatic.

If they are overloaded, like possibly in Chiang Mai, positive asymptomatic can be released earlier 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

from richard barrow newsletter:

"the consequences of being a HRC. At the moment, I am told if you test negative but are sitting next to someone who tested positive, you are both taken to hospital for ten days. There is no home quarantine or hotel quarantine. However, they are now working on reducing this to only 3-4 days if you test negative on the second test. On the other hand, the person who tested positive has to stay in hospital for at least ten days."

so they are lessening rules - it use to be 14 days for all asymptomatic.

If they are overloaded, like possibly in Chiang Mai, positive asymptomatic can be released earlier 

Sorry I lose phone after my arrival test and same day release, some hotels are apparently quicker than others so I cant see how practical it is "take 4 day for Lazada to deliver me new one... me bad"

On 10/28/2021 at 6:15 AM, Dmaxdan said:

If Thailand really wants to open up and try and move on from the pandemic then locking up asymptomatic cases in Covid prisons has to stop now.

It is just persecuting people for catching a highly transmittable virus and clearly shows that the government has zero trust in it's own people to self isolate if infected.

Worse still, if you get a false positive, you're going to be sent away to spend time with others who have covid-19. 

Also, if they send people away to a hospital, or even if the population thinks they still do that, obviously people will avoid going to test centres unless they are quite ill.    So the actual covid infection rate is likely to be far higher than reported.

Edited by jaizan

On 10/28/2021 at 11:31 AM, asiam110 said:

mandated quarantined hospital stay when not actually sick other than a positive test.

Actually, Thai insurance will not pay (Thais) unless you have a positive PCR test, admitted to hospital for covid symptoms and letter from admitting Dr stating you have covid.

This makes me wonder if I am asymptomatic and force hospitalized from work or travel whether my standard Thai insurances will pay!

Great question