Luxury hotel chain in Thailand reports data breach

webfact

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Here's a surprise, when I went to do my 90 day report on 20th, at our District ( NOT Province ) Imm Office ALL the paperwork was handed back to me, including the TM47. They just checked the extension stamp in my passport and issued the new 90 day report receipt. 

I've never filled anything in for my 90 day report. I just roll up, they take my passport, spend five minutes doing who knows what on a computer while having a friendly chat with my wife and then give me the passport back with the new reporting date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Been getting a few of those SMS messages (with  name not a number) in Thai that are phishing or scamming myself. At least one can block call numbers easily.

You can add this as a contact in your address book (without opening the message) then block the contact to stop the messages being received…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JayClay said:

What hotels are you going to that hold your passport for a day?

I have never experienced this before.

True , some do some don't , in my experience it's normally the bigger hotels that keep your pp for a day . It seems that they take all the new arrivals pps at the same time to the local police 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, superal said:

True , some do some don't , in my experience it's normally the bigger hotels that keep your pp for a day . It seems that they take all the new arrivals pps at the same time to the local police 

Big or small hotel I've never seen this behaviour. Why on earth do you think they are taking them to the local police?

The usual procedure on checking in is for a copy to be made of your passport. If they ask you to keep it overnight, refuse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I get 3 a week from Pay Pal which I dutifully forward to Pay Pal but have noticed no discernible improvement. I've stopped using them.

Suspect email should be forwarded to [email protected].  They usually acknowledge receipt when I do.  I rarely receive another fraudulent email after that; that is, not for a long time.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

easy money this cyber-crimes with many crocks getting away with the it and making millions in the process as happened with several Thai banks recently...

"Several Thai banks" have recently been subject to cyber crimes that has "cost them millions"?   Really?  Have you an example or two of those "several" [sic] cases?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

For the past two days I have been getting annoying cell calls from I believe scammers. Started suddenly and now I think I know why. My Centara account was probably one of those hacked.

It was me who tried to call.

4 hours ago, superal said:

As a tech dinosaur I find that most transactions are worrying because they either involve the downloading of apps , declaring your card details or showing/ passing over some form of personnel details , such as your passport  . The days of cash transactions are getting fewer and fewer but security does not seem to be keeping pace .  Pre-booking hotels does not stop the hotel from taking your passport for a day and you hope it does not fall into criminal hands as it is a valuable document .   

The law in Thailand no longer requires you to carry passport, I have a credit card size plastic photocopy of info page of passport this is all the information they require, but I always give them DL first which is usually enough. Passport like credit card should never be out of your sight, if they don't like it take business elsewhere. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, superal said:

Pre-booking hotels does not stop the hotel from taking your passport for a day and you hope it does not fall into criminal hands as it is a valuable document .   

Which hotels insist on taking you passport and "keeping it for a day", not just photocopying it?

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Yes, post offices so too, ridiculous, when you send a parcel for example to Chiang Mai, again your passport....telephone number

Good grief, what an imposition it is to show your ID and provide a phone number, just as the Thais have to do. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

25 minutes ago, RafPinto said:
6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

For the past two days I have been getting annoying cell calls from I believe scammers. Started suddenly and now I think I know why. My Centara account was probably one of those hacked.

It was me who tried to call.

Wazzzuuuup

9 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

These hotels keep their hardcopy of your passport (or DL) when registering too.   Your phone # is written on this copy as well.

I asked to get my hardcopy back at a BKK hotel when leaving to tear it up, but they refused.  They said they needed it to give to some Gov agency.

There's so much room for thieves to work in Thailand.  Just look at all the paper copies given to Immigration ... 

Immigration actually reuses some of the documents flipside. Make the flipside of your paper unusable by scribbling on it