Animal Army warns about two confirmed rabies cases in dogs in Huay Yai

snoop1130

animalarmy-656x420.jpg

The following is a notice posted by the Animal Army on their social media recently regarding rabies in stray dogs in Huay Yai. Their statements are their own:

Public notification, a rabies outbreak.

A video recently posted on the Animal Army social media on October 29th appears to be the second victim of rabies in the Huai Yai 5km red zone [the first case confirmed 28/10/2021]. (They later updated in a comment to confirm the second case was also positive-editor).

Rescuers and street feeders in the Huai Yai 5km red zone should be alert during the next 14 days [current red zone until 14/11/2021] and report any dogs with symptoms of rabies.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/01/animal-army-warns-about-two-confirmed-rabies-cases-in-dogs-in-huay-yai/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Like 1

Rescuers and street feeders in the Huai Yai 5km red zone should be alert during the next 14 days [current red zone until 14/11/2021] and report any dogs with symptoms of rabies.
Symptoms may include:
– appearing overstimulated or erratic
– staggering
– excessive drooling
– not eating or difficulty swallowing
-unusual biting behavior
-seizures, fever, paralysis

Know a few local expats that also have these symptoms.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why would tourists come here with packs of wild dogs spreading diseases - rabies is often fatal, as are the many accidents on the road caused by strays.

Per the WebMD web site:

Rabies has the highest mortality rate -- 99.9% -- of any disease on earth

... for humans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why would tourists come here with packs of wild dogs spreading diseases - rabies is often fatal, as are the many accidents on the road caused by strays.

Many Western tourists get great satisfaction from feeding stray dogs on beaches so on - zero understanding of problems caused. As an idea when entering Thailand, have signs discouraging the behaviour and reasons why, though I assume will never happen as would distract from the marketing branding of a perfect tourist destination.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe it is close to 100% mortality rate for cats and dogs too, so I fail to see your point.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/39/2/278/328860

Because I was replying to @Mikebell (see the quote in my post, do ya?) who said "rabies is often fatal" and I was pointing out that it is much more than "often" it is almost *always* fatal.  Do you see my point now, or shall I type slower?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, simple1 said:

Many Western tourists get great satisfaction from feeding stray dogs on beaches so on - zero understanding of problems caused. As an idea when entering Thailand, have signs discouraging the behaviour and reasons why, though I assume will never happen as would distract from the marketing branding of a perfect tourist destination.

Yeah, a couple of years back a good mate & his mrs paid us a visit, they were on the new (at the time) cycle track, went to stroke a few strays and got bitten in the process, not a nice experience for a guy and his g/f on holiday, fortunately he has to travel the world on business, so his company insurance covered it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Because I was replying to @Mikebell (see the quote in my post, do ya?) who said "rabies is often fatal" and I was pointing out that it is much more than "often" it is almost *always* fatal.  Do you see my point now, or shall I type slower?

It is your responsibility to make your posts clear, we have people on this board who are not English first language. No need to be  a rude axx about it. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Hopefully a catalyst to control the street dog population.

We get rabies cases now and again .... a bit of fuss is made but rarely any concerted effort. I seem to recall a few infections a few years ago and yet here we are again. Where I live there are more strays than ever now.... and the usual kindred souls feeding them.... and pups of course. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...