Now that Thailand has "reopened", will Covid-19 extensions cease from November?

What is the deadline now for apply for this extension?

Im planning to go Thailand on December, and Im thinking about try to get a STV (90 days + 90days) or go with a regular Tourist visa and bet on this extension still in place or borders reopen in the next 3 months...

11 minutes ago, zekelin said:

What is the deadline now for apply for this extension?

Im planning to go Thailand on December, and Im thinking about try to get a STV (90 days + 90days) or go with a regular Tourist visa and bet on this extension still in place or borders reopen in the next 3 months...

Nov 27th as of now. The trend has been to extend it at the very last minute usually.

5 hours ago, itsari said:

Immigration are earning 22,800 a year from each person using the 60 day extensions . 

Tourism will take two years to recover . 

Other types of visas are a fraction of the cost per year . 

My opinion is the 60 day extensions will be around for a long time .

Your logic is flawless. The only question is, will logic be the determining factor? I honestly don't know what their "exit strategy" with regards to these Covid extensions is - if they even have one.

7 hours ago, itsari said:

Immigration are earning 22,800 a year from each person using the 60 day extensions . 

Tourism will take two years to recover . 

Other types of visas are a fraction of the cost per year . 

My opinion is the 60 day extensions will be around for a long time .

How do you figure that?  I been here getting the covid extensions  since they first started.  At 1900every 60 days.  Thats only 11600a year.  Cheaper than a retirement  visa and no special  requirements  other than COVID trapped 

13 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

How do you figure that?  I been here getting the covid extensions  since they first started.  At 1900every 60 days.  Thats only 11600a year.  Cheaper than a retirement  visa and no special  requirements  other than COVID trapped 

A retirement visa is 1900 baht per year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

When do you think you'll know? Sooner or later?

I've just got one today, im stamped in till the 8th of  January,, as I was walking away from the officer she shouted,   don't forget when you do you next one , and made a writing sign with a pen in her hand, there must of been something I hadn't signed. So possibly they will carry on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Exactly right. It was not the first time to hear that gentle reminder.  I think it's a standard script handed down from supervisors. They can't be appearing to encourage people to continue staying on what was meant to be a temporary visa-type.  When it ends, it ends. Until then...as Churchill once said "Keep calm and carry on!" ????

Yeah the problem is... untill when?

Its a stupid strategy extend this extension every 60 days, and do it in the last minute of the current extension. People need to make plans with a little bit of time.

24 minutes ago, zekelin said:

Its a stupid strategy extend this extension every 60 days, and do it in the last minute of the current extension. People need to make plans with a little bit of time.

It's basically a freebie (ignore the price) way for people to stay "during an emergency" that wouldn't qualify normally. Yet people still bitch and moan about it. I would wager there is a miniscule amount of people, if any, in Thailand using a covid extension that is genuinely stuck in Thailand.

If people are caught out when they eventually stop issuing them that's on them not the Thai Government.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

Are people really having a hard time flying back to their home country for so many months?

Definitely not, but there was no  way I was doing another Coe  again , by the time I leave in January il of spent 7/8000,000 baht  in my 1 year of being here, theve got something out of me and vice versa.

6 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Verbally was told "This is your last one. You should buy a plane ticket."

Obviously wise-ass replies are not allowed in Thailand, but I would be tempted to say "OK, I'll buy my ticket and fly out on the 21st, unless it is extended, in which case I won't".

Although I know it shouldn't, it still always surprises me how negative and kind of racist some immigration people are, like they're actually <deleted> off that foreigners have got these "freebies" and they want to try to encourage them to leave, even though the government is allowing them to stay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zekelin said:

It's to encourage people to leave while not making them leave, to save face internationally.

6 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

They can't be appearing to encourage people to continue staying on what was meant to be a temporary visa-type.

It's very sad, because a lot of people left in the summer of last year after that guy announced that the amnesty was going to end and everyone would have to leave.  Now more than a year later, I wonder how many of those people have been able to return.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bbko said:

Are people really having a hard time flying back to their home country for so many months?

Many people didn't want to return to their countries where people were dying by the hundreds daily and the death figures here were only in the low double digits.

Perhaps they didn't want to travel internationally un-vaccinated too. How do you think the virus was spread around the world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's very sad, because a lot of people left in the summer of last year after that guy announced that the amnesty was going to end and everyone would have to leave.  Now more than a year later, I wonder how many of those people have been able to return.

I nearly panicked and did the same. But I stuck to my guns and decided to ride it out and damn the torpedoes!  Here I still am. So much of life is a manipulation, and you have to find your way around it. Even the manipulators don't realize they are being manipulated!  LOL