Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

36 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Other than you couldn't be bothered, is there any reason why you don't do it yourself?  

Using an Agent ensures that all your paperwork is completed correctly & in order (e.g last year I would have been sent away as I hadn’t updated my bank book for a couple of months so the amounts were amalgamated & I needed a separate statement, agent spotted this whilst checking my paperwork & took me to the bank to get the correct statement).

Also ensures that I get seen quickly when I’m there (e.g last year I would have been turned away from CW as they were only doing extensions 3 days before they were due & I wanted to do mine 44 days before as I was moving to Wongamat).

In total I pay around 8,800 THB per year to my agent for all my immigration needs (extension & 90 day reports)  = 170 THB pw, worth it to me, maybe not so to others.

Edit: NB I still pay the 1,900 immigration fee & 100 for the bank letter so all in 10,800 pa < 210 THB pw

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Using an Agent ensures that all your paperwork is completed correctly & in order (e.g last year I would have been sent away as I hadn’t updated my bank book for a couple of months so the amounts were amalgamated & I needed a separate statement, agent spotted this whilst checking my paperwork & took me to the bank to get the correct statement).

Also ensures that I get seen quickly when I’m there (e.g last year I would have been turned away from CW as they were only doing extensions 3 days before they were due & I wanted to do mine 44 days before as I was moving to Wongamat).

In total I pay around 8,800 THB per year to my agent for all my immigration needs (extension & 90 day reports)  = 170 THB pw, worth it to me, maybe not so to others.

Edit: NB I still pay the 1,900 immigration fee & 100 for the bank letter so all in 10,800 pa < 210 THB pw

Fair play.

That's a great price.  It's a no brainer.  

I pay 20,000 baht, all up, no extras.  Perhaps I should shop around.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

which agent charges you 20,000? certainly a rip off

I better not say.  I've never done it myself, and thought 20k baht a small annual fee for bypassing hoops.  I never shopped around for 18k or 17k, but at near half price, it appears I am paying "the lazy tax."  Completely my own fault.  Come next renewal, I'll be making inquiries.  

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I better not say.  I've never done it myself, and thought 20k baht a small annual fee for bypassing hoops.  I never shopped around for 18k or 17k, but at near half price, it appears I am paying "the lazy tax."  Completely my own fault.  Come next renewal, I'll be making inquiries.  

Was it single entry? never heard of an agent ripping someone off that much, extension only?

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Was it single entry? never heard of an agent ripping someone off that much, extension only?

No, covered the lot, including multiple re-entry permit.  

I guess if the member's price of near 11k baht didn't include multiple re-entry, then that's no so bad, but still, I'm paying over the odds.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I guess if the member's price of near 11k baht didn't include multiple re-entry, then that's no so bad, but still, I'm paying over the odds.  

PM me the agent would be good to know. For your reference should be 12,500+3,500=16,000

31 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Ahhh, I didn’t include the multi Re-Entry permit as I haven’t bothered with one for a couple of years but the cost of this is approx 4,700 (through an agent) so add that to the 12,500 (lowest price I’ve seen) for an extension without the money in the bank & you’re at 17,200, if they do your 90 day then you’re  at 18,000 so not getting too bad of a deal.

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

PM me the agent would be good to know. For your reference should be 12,500+3,500=16,000

I'd rather not say, because I can't complain with their service, although it appears they are on the expensive side.  I believe they can make visa issues disappear as well, not that I should have any, so I don't want to rock the boat.   

Maybe I am paying top baht for their top service delivery.  Eg. they will come to me, and they take my phone calls with any visa questions I have, no extra charge, and over the years I have called them to make inquiries on behalf of friends as well.  

Actually, I have a pretty good working relationship with them, I probably shouldn't complain.   Once again, I see their fee as a small price to pay for not having my money earning nothing in the Thai banking system.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Ahhh, I didn’t include the multi Re-Entry permit as I haven’t bothered with one for a couple of years but the cost of this is approx 4,700 (through an agent) so add that to the 12,500 (lowest price I’ve seen) for an extension without the money in the bank & you’re at 17,200, if they do your 90 day then you’re  at 18,000 so not getting too bad of a deal.

Yes, upon reflection, I think it's not so bad after all.  

I have no idea why I paid for a multiple re-entry permit last year, with covid still going.  Completely my fault.  Probably living in hope.  ????  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i suspect it's all a story like many of the other things you post

No story.  Why would it be?

I initially thought the member's price is around what I should be paying.  As I said, I never shopped around.  

The multiple re-entry permit is more expensive than what I thought.  So, turns out my deal is not that bad. 

I also don't want to post, or PM, anything that may identify me.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Where are you? if in Pattaya, you can do it inside the office for 14,000. A one-stop shop. Guaranteed you've never seen such friendly, happy Immigration officers until do this. They treat you like VIP.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Where are you? if in Pattaya, you can do it inside the office for 14,000. A one-stop shop.

Pattaya.  

When I first moved here, I expected anywhere from 15k to 25k.  I got 20k thrown at me first up, for EVERYTHING.  So I took it, and been with them ever since, as it was never my intention to move 800k to Thailand.  

Would you care to elaborate on your post?  

5 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I think you are saying you were "fined" 5,000 baht by your agent to fix it?

No  immigration fixed it    I try for exact timing and amout to comply,yes should have allowed more time  but as I put final amount in their hands on previous Friday,they stated later timing

Edited by fredscats