Have you been afraid of Covid-19 in the past 1.5 years?

peter zwart

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't understand the reply. 2 -3% die from what? 

If 2-3% of C19 patients die, and C19 is worst than the flu, then even less than the 2-3% of flu patients die, so the flu isn't much to worry about.

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not 1 little iota. The numbers speak volumes. Recovery rate is HIGH. Over 90%. More like 97%. I had it over a year ago. Was like mild flu. Slight fever, body ache, felt a bit run down/low energy. After a couple days felt about 90% and 100% after a week. I'm slim, fit and healthy. Exercise and eat well. Vegan for 31 of my 61 years. Wasn't afraid of it ever. Not for a nanosecond. Not before having it, not white having it and not now.

Of course there are certain demographics whom should be afraid. Namely the obese. Followed by elderly with underlying conditions. The countries with the highest severe cases and deaths are the fattest. 

Nearly 8 BILLION humans and 5 million deaths = 0.0625% that's  .0625 of ONE PERCENT. 

Get vaxed, drop a few kilos and get on with living! 

A life lived in fear is a life not lived.

The CDC published a report that 73 percent of deceased COVID-19 patients had obesity or were overweight.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/commentary/story/2021-07-29/obesity-covid-19-ted-hilton

Faulty numbers.  And sadly, not only the obese are getting hit.  Healthy people are also.  Covid will be with us forever.  Vaccines are our only answer right now.  Glad you got yours.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/11/02/the-number-of-people-who-have-died-from-covid-19-is-likely-to-be-close-to-17m

The number of people who have died from covid-19 is likely to be close to 17m

The official tally of 5m is a huge undercount

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If 2-3% of C19 patients die, and C19 is worst than the flu, then even less than the 2-3% of flu patients die, so the flu isn't much to worry about.

Some 400-600,000 die from the flu every years.  So far, C19 is way worse.  Impossible to compare the two.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Flu , is certainly something to worry about. just not at the same level as Covid. 

Anyway 2-3% of one number can be a totally different thing as 2-3% of another. 

I can travel 2-3% of the distance to the refrigerator in no time at all, bur Alpha Centauri  gives me a little more of a problem :tongue: 

• Thanks 1

@ skeptic

I'm glad to hear you are fully recovered.

But not everyone is so lucky. NHS stats (National Health Service in the UK) show that 45% of people admitted to hospital needed ongoing support after they were released.

Then there's long Covid which often doesn't require hospitalisation, but can be debilitating, as I know from a colleague who's been off work for more than a year.

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

If you believe "most" and "many" are meaningful terms in statistics, your opinions about the validity of scientific research are more or less worthless.

Thailand C19 deaths vs cases,  1.951,752 cases (known cases) vs 19.542 deaths ...

or ... 98.9% recovery rate from Covid19 in Thailand.  

I'd describe that as 'most' ... recover

Oh, and 'many', until tested (randomly) didn't even know they were positive.  

About a 1% chance of dying from C19 in Thailand.   Afraid ... seriously

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Thailand C19 deaths vs cases,  1.951,752 cases (known cases) vs 19.542 deaths ...

Stop using faulty stats to justify your covid denier status.  You're embarrassing yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Many don't even know they are sick and never get tested so the death rate is likely to be way below 1%.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not 1 little iota. The numbers speak volumes. Recovery rate is HIGH. Over 90%. More like 97%. I had it over a year ago. Was like mild flu. Slight fever, body ache, felt a bit run down/low energy. After a couple days felt about 90% and 100% after a week. I'm slim, fit and healthy. Exercise and eat well. Vegan for 31 of my 61 years. Wasn't afraid of it ever. Not for a nanosecond. Not before having it, not white having it and not now.

Of course there are certain demographics whom should be afraid. Namely the obese. Followed by elderly with underlying conditions. The countries with the highest severe cases and deaths are the fattest. 

Nearly 8 BILLION humans and 5 million deaths = 0.0625% that's  .0625 of ONE PERCENT. 

Get vaxed, drop a few kilos and get on with living! 

A life lived in fear is a life not lived.

The CDC published a report that 73 percent of deceased COVID-19 patients had obesity or were overweight.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/commentary/story/2021-07-29/obesity-covid-19-ted-hilton

You’ve stated you have had COVID.

Was this conformed by medical testing by a doctor/clinic/hospital?

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

First off, weren't your comments about "most" and "many" directed at the issue of long term covid?

Second these numbers aren't weighted by age

And they don't take into account long term covid

And then there's the issue of hospitals being unable to care for those who are critically ill because their ICU capacity is being stressed by covid.

And finally, these figures take no account of excess mortality.

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

I've been traveling

but would you say travel is less fun in this period of time than it was before? Serious question, not taking sides...

I have actually not enjoyed travel for many years because I remember how places used to be... and are not now... I have altered a bit by choosing nice resorts and less out and around... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Sources please. And so what even if 17 million? It's still only  0.2125%

That's POINT 2125 of ONE percent. 

I am AZ vaxed, but mainly because I want to travel. I've been traveling throughout this Covidiocy (hotels, restaurants, planes, busses, taxis and trains), but now seems vax is required. I'm not antivax at all. Got Shingles vax 2 years ago and Hep-A vax last year. Also got a Tetanus booster last year. 

The sky is not falling. Life is for LIVING, not fretting about dying. 

Many people get now more excited about panicking and fear that they can't get back to normality. That is certainly not healthy and don't let those individuals drag you down with them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

but would you say travel is less fun in this period of time than it was before? Serious question, not taking sides...

I have actually not enjoyed travel for many years because I remember how places used to be... and are not now... I have altered a bit by choosing nice resorts and less out and around... 

Traveling is terrible right now.  We just finished a trip with 15 flight segments across 8 different countries.  This trip was totally rescheduled due to recently implemented restrictions.  A few times.

Went to Greece to listen to live music, only to have this canceled 4 days after our arrival.  And the place was packed with Europeans.  I mean booked out.

Went to the Azores and cars were booked out and renting for 100 Euros and up.  Had to take a PCR test to even go there.  And we're fully vaccinated.  No fun.  But the Azores was beautiful! LOL

Scared, no. Anxious, yes. There are other diseases and illnesses I am anxious about too.

Taking as many, as I see it, reasonable precautions as possib!e. If only the wife would. But then she has always been a sociable animal, unlike me, who has been a grumpy old man all my life.

• Haha 1

I've only been a little bit scared of COVID back when I first heard about it and saw videos of Chinese people dropping dead in the streets.

But soon after, once I checked out the World of Stats website a couple of times, it became clear to me COVID would be mainly dangerous for old people or people with multiple co-morbidities. I'm 39, my girlfriend is 41 and our daughter is 4.5 years now. None of us have any co-morbidities. So with this in mind, I wasn't worried at all.

I know many people might not agree on this, but in my mind it's really not anymore dangerous than the flu for most people, including the three of us. My girlfriend is a bit scared for COVID though. As long as we don't have any other ailments and we take good care of our health (exercise a bit, eat healthy food, etc..) I'm sure we'll be fine. 

I actually believe we have COVID together in January 2021 when the 3 of us we're all quite sick all at the same time. The sickness we had was quite similar to the flu, but unlike the flu I had in the past, I had a lot of pain in the throat, which never happened before. If we indeed had COVID at the time, we all might have anti-bodies for COVID already. FYI: we live in North-West Thailand close to the border of Myanmar. In the amphur nearby there's a Chinatown. The people there have a lot of contact with people from China, which includes a lot of trading. This is the reason why I believe COVID arrived already in our village in January 2021.

I wear a mask outside only for other people, as I am not worried for my, my girlfriend and our daughter these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sydebolle said:

I grew up in a flu country and the flu came each and every winter. Some years we were OK, others we spent a fortnight in bed. Nothing new so far. 

The coronaphobia though is completely misused by all those governments scaring people to death; the Romans knew already how to control the masses. 

Be aware without panic and fear; if the leadership would have any common sense then they would apply it - possibly. I - for one - consider it mind boggling and outright irresponsible to reopen an international British school in Pattaya one day before the same city, craving for business, opens and expects 300'000 visitors to its music festival. 

But then, who am I; my answer though is, apply common sense, behave accordingly and do not panic just because some wigged clowns in Bangkok tell you to do so! 

From what I'm told, the Pattaya Music is going to be tightly controlled.  We'll see, but some very strict measures have been put in place.  Again, we'll see how it plays out.  But yes, terrible to do this in a country with well over 10k cases per day, and in a city with a low vaccination rate.  A potential super spreader event just like Songkran, which set back our reopening a bunch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because claims of having had mild COVID are common amongst people arguing against vaccines and other means of fighting this wretched disease.

Yeah, we've got another member here who does that.  Amazing because he also admits he was never tested.  Covid deniers and anti vaxxers.  What can you expect.

Agree, and why I stated the flu is less of a worry than c19

If we use the higher estimate by The Economist, C19 is the leading cause of death globally right now.  Definitely something to be afraid of.

https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/article/just-how-do-deaths-due-covid-19-stack

Just How Do Deaths Due to COVID-19 Stack Up?

Despite a likely undercount in many places, COVID-19 is the leading killer in most of Latin America and Western Europe

Since the start of 2020, based on official counts, COVID-19 has killed more than 4.5 million people, including more than 630,000 in the United States, 570,000 in Brazil, and 430,000 in India. These tallies may substantially underestimate COVID-19's true death toll. In fact, some estimates suggest the total number of deaths could be more than twice as large as reported globally and up to ten times greater than reported in some countries.

• Haha 1

Let's put this in perspective ... 'in Thailand'

Already stated, IF, you are infected with Covid19, you have a 98.9% chance of recovery.

Thailand's population is ~70 million, updated deaths: 19,611

So if live in Thailand, you have a < 0.029 % chance of dying from Covid

70 mill X 0.028016 % = 19,611

Practice safe distancing, Wash them hands occasionally, stop touching your face.

If you think it helps, wear a mask.

Stop stressing .....  BE SAFE

Afraid ... No ... I'm liking the odds  99.97% chance of not dying of covid.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Pravda said:

This is what happened to me 10 years ago when I flew to Japan. Some American doctor kept insisting to chat with me while spitting on my face. 4 days later while in Tokyo I got sick. Returned to Canada and was getting worse. Doctors just said the usual, drink and rest... Which I did for almost 3 months. Then I noticed breathing problems which I never had before, but last to this day.

I had the same experience, send you PM

Irrational fear is probably safer than irrational complacency re covid, but I hope we can all agree that neither is desirable.

Risk analysis often has 2 stages: 1, the chance (risk) of something happening; 2, the consequences (risk) when it does happen.

Air travel is a good example: risk1 is extremely low, risk2 is extremely high. I'm not suggesting covid has a similar risk profile, I'm just using air travel as an example because it shows the difference very clearly.

The Bangkok Post carries headline figures (on the main page footer) every day re covid in Thailand. Since I've been observing those figures, Thailand has risen (got worse in the ranking) from 79th to 24th position worldwide; ie risk1 in Thailand has increased substantially. Risk2 has almost certainly increased too because of hospital overcrowding and new variants.

Another issue to consider is not just YOU, but the burden you would place on the already stretched health service if you did get sick, and the impact on your nearest and dearest assuming you are lucky enough to have any.

Finally, posters here are in various risk groups anyway, and we all have our own attitude to risk. So let's try to keep it civil.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

If we use the higher estimate by The Economist, C19 is the leading cause of death globally right now.  Definitely something to be afraid of.

Not sure that's completely accurate.

Heart disease & strokes, and that's every year, not just the last 18 months

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

• Like 1

Not sure that's completely accurate.

Heart disease & strokes, and that's every year, not just the last 18 months

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

You tend to ignore the fact every country has under counted.  If they even counted at all.  And covid didn't really hit the scene until a bit over 18 months ago.  So older stats mean nothing.

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

I've only been a little bit scared of COVID back when I first heard about it and saw videos of Chinese people dropping dead in the streets.

But soon after, once I checked out the World of Stats website a couple of times, it became clear to me COVID would be mainly dangerous for old people or people with multiple co-morbidities. I'm 39, my girlfriend is 41 and our daughter is 4.5 years now. None of us have any co-morbidities. So with this in mind, I wasn't worried at all.

I know many people might not agree on this, but in my mind it's really not anymore dangerous than the flu for most people, including the three of us. My girlfriend is a bit scared for COVID though. As long as we don't have any other ailments and we take good care of our health (exercise a bit, eat healthy food, etc..) I'm sure we'll be fine. 

I actually believe we have COVID together in January 2021 when the 3 of us we're all quite sick all at the same time. The sickness we had was quite similar to the flu, but unlike the flu I had in the past, I had a lot of pain in the throat, which never happened before. If we indeed had COVID at the time, we all might have anti-bodies for COVID already. FYI: we live in North-West Thailand close to the border of Myanmar. In the amphur nearby there's a Chinatown. The people there have a lot of contact with people from China, which includes a lot of trading. This is the reason why I believe COVID arrived already in our village in January 2021.

I wear a mask outside only for other people, as I am not worried for my, my girlfriend and our daughter these days.

If you had it, recent studies are indicating that your protection is inferior to getting vaccinated. Some are suggesting one dose instead of two for those that KNOW they were infected. But you don't even know. 

• Like 1