Have you been afraid of Covid-19 in the past 1.5 years?

peter zwart

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

If everyone is going to question everyone's #'s, what's the point.  Case numbers, depends on the country, and I'd say Thailand's are way off.  Deaths, I would think is fairly accurate.

The only important #'s (deaths) per population, for a % of risk factor.

Do you think the 'worldmeter' numbers that Thailand reports to is fairly accurate ?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

If not, then no sense in myself being involved in any conversation.

Exactly what I've been trying to say. The numbers you quote are dodgy. As admitted by the WHO. Which are the numbers used by worldometers.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed

32 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Exactly what I've been trying to say. The numbers you quote are dodgy. As admitted by the WHO. Which are the numbers used by worldometers.

They're the same numbers Thailand releases everyday, on the gov't health sites.

So I thought I'd dig deeper into the data on "recovery" vs "survival", and long covid. This is what I found.

“How many people get 'long COVID'? More than half, researchers find…

More than half of the 236 million people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 worldwide since December 2019 will experience post-COVID symptoms -- more commonly known as 'long COVID' -- up to six months after recovering…

The investigators noted several trends among survivors, such as:

• General well-being: More than half of all patients reported weight loss, fatigue, fever or pain.

• Mobility: Roughly one in five survivors experienced a decrease in mobility.

• Neurologic concerns: Nearly one in four survivors experienced difficulty concentrating.

• Mental health disorders: Nearly one in three patients were diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorders.

• Lung abnormalities: Six in ten survivors had chest imaging abnormality and more than a quarter of patients had difficulty breathing.

• Cardiovascular issues: Chest pain and palpitations were among the commonly reported conditions.

• Skin conditions: Nearly one in five patients experienced hair loss or rashes.

• Digestive issues: Stomach pain, lack of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting were among the commonly reported conditions.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/10/211013114112.htm

cheers all

On 11/5/2021 at 8:25 PM, Gsxrnz said:

No.  Never been scared of sars-cov-2.  But I'm as scared as hell about the long term impact of the world's leaders reactions to trying to irrationally control the impossible.

I would like to see all world leaders attempt to herd a bunch of cats and then push a piece of string up a hill.  Anybody over the age of six understands the futility of attempting the impossible, but that gene is apparently missing in our (cough/splutter/choke) elected and unelected fools who are in control.

King Canute Rulez!

Excellent post.

Re the OP, no, I'm not scared at all. Either I get it and die, or I die of something else just as painful and unpleasant. As one that survived cancer but had my life ruined by the treatment, I'm on borrowed time anyway, and my allotted 3 score and 10 is in my rear view mirror.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, blackprince said:

So I thought I'd dig deeper into the data on "recovery" vs "survival", and long covid. This is what I found.

“How many people get 'long COVID'? More than half, researchers find…

More than half of the 236 million people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 worldwide since December 2019 will experience post-COVID symptoms -- more commonly known as 'long COVID' -- up to six months after recovering…

The investigators noted several trends among survivors, such as:

• General well-being: More than half of all patients reported weight loss, fatigue, fever or pain.

• Mobility: Roughly one in five survivors experienced a decrease in mobility.

• Neurologic concerns: Nearly one in four survivors experienced difficulty concentrating.

• Mental health disorders: Nearly one in three patients were diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorders.

• Lung abnormalities: Six in ten survivors had chest imaging abnormality and more than a quarter of patients had difficulty breathing.

• Cardiovascular issues: Chest pain and palpitations were among the commonly reported conditions.

• Skin conditions: Nearly one in five patients experienced hair loss or rashes.

• Digestive issues: Stomach pain, lack of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting were among the commonly reported conditions.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/10/211013114112.htm

cheers all

Been living with some of those for many years, and nothing to do with corona.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Excellent post.

Re the OP, no, I'm not scared at all. Either I get it and die, or I die of something else just as painful and unpleasant. As one that survived cancer but had my life ruined by the treatment, I'm on borrowed time anyway, and my allotted 3 score and 10 is in my rear view mirror anyway.

I admire your spirit and fortitude.  Reminds me of my octogenarian friend with a 45 year old Thai wife and when asked about the age difference, replied "well if she dies, she dies!"

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

For those who are not afraid of Covid 19, maybe you should be?

Of course fear without action doesn't help.

Don't see why. Covid is just one of the many ways I could die and I've had more near misses than I can remember.

Perhaps working as a nurse has given me a different perspective on death, but for me the only thing I fear about it is dying slowly and in a great deal of pain. Now that many countries are passing end of life laws, that may not be such a terror in the future.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't see why. Covid is just one of the many ways I could die and I've had more near misses than I can remember.

Perhaps working as a nurse has given me a different perspective on death, but for me the only thing I fear about it is dying slowly and in a great deal of pain. Now that many countries are passing end of life laws, that may not be such a terror in the future.

Well at least you recognise that at your age the risk of covid killing you is real.

If you had experence of ventilators and ICU, either as a nurse or as a patient, you'd know that the pain can be excruciating.

But the simple issue is one of prevention as far as possible.

The UK is a good case in point, its covid story is in 3 stages:

1. Terrible. One of the worst records in the world due to initial attempts at "herd immunity" and no initial lockdowns. At one point ranked 3rd worst in the world re deaths per 100,000.

2. Good. One of the best records on vaccination.

3. Terrible. Widespread complaceny regarding masks and distancing following the successful vaccination programme, putting the UK back into the worst decile and getting worse every day..

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Well at least you recognise that at your age the risk of covid killing you is real.

If you had experence of ventilators and ICU, either as a nurse or as a patient, you'd know that the pain can be excruciating.

Pretty logical that any disease can kill me at my age even common flu.

Hopefully no chance of ventilators or ICU as have living will and DNR order.

Others have to make that decision themselves.

An off-topic political post has been removed.

COVID-19 Coronavirus Forum

A forum dedicated to information and discussion related to the current pandemic in Thailand and  Covid-19  topics that could affect people living in Thailand. This is not for conspiracy theories or any form of political discussion. If your topic is region/location specific, please use that specific forum.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'm calling BS on long COVID, and half of COVID infected suffering from it.

Long covid is real, it's well documented. On a personal basis, a Thai colleague has been off work with it for the last 15 months, and he really doesn't seem to be getting better. He was hospitalised for the first 2 weeks and then discharged. These stats - ie discharged but not recovered - are not recorded in Thailand.

I also was surprised that these researchers found such a high level of long covid, but I have no reason to doubt them.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, blackprince said:

Long covid is real, it's well documented. On a personal basis, a Thai colleague has been off work with it for the last 15 months, and he really doesn't seem to be getting better. He was hospitalised for the first 2 weeks and then discharged. These stats - ie discharged but not recovered - are not recorded in Thailand.

I also was surprised that these researchers found such a high level of long covid, but I have no reason to doubt them.

Heard something on radio about it. They reckon the UK has over a million long covid cases. They are going to have to pull finger and come up with some proper policies if they don't want a real crisis.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Heard something on radio about it. They reckon the UK has over a million long covid cases. They are going to have to pull finger and come up with some proper policies if they don't want a real crisis.

I know a few people with long covid and know of a few more.  I was quite skeptical but a neighbor lady who is a bundle energy and loved her work has not been able to return for nearly a year.  She used to walk/jog with her dog and now she manages to get him to the end of block.  

The other people complaining of long covid were never going to set the world on fire to begin with, so not too much discernible difference in their behavior.   

I think this needs a lot of study.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

And the government has admitted many times they are not accurate as they don't test enough.

Which I've stated (lack of testing) somewhere, which means of course, there's a lot more cases out there, and guessing the deaths from is fairly accurate, so more case, means chance of dying from, IF infected, is even lower then the silly 1.1%, so better than a 98.9% of surviving IF infected.

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Which I've stated (lack of testing) somewhere, which means of course, there's a lot more cases out there, and guessing the deaths from is fairly accurate, so more case, means chance of dying from, IF infected, is even lower then the silly 1.1%, so better than a 98.9% of surviving IF infected.

Stuck on fake numbers.  Still trying to deny the severity of this pandemic.

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Stuck on fake numbers.  Still trying to deny the severity of this pandemic. 

So you think Thailand is reporting fake 'death' count. 

Case count is simply confirmed / tested cases, and since Thais aren't test crazy or willing to pay for a low flu symptoms case, just to test if flu or covid, as don't care and why spend the money, case count is just a guess.

If death count is accurate, and population is about 70 million, then the %, chance of dying from is very accurate, and very low.  

IF the deaths reported is fake, doubtful, then who's to say it isn't the other direction, meaning it's less severe.  You can't have it both way, fake and agree with your spin.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

If death count is accurate, and population is about 70 million, then the % on recovery or dead from rate is very accurate.  

Sure, but as I pointed out a couple of days ago, what Thailand is reporting as "recovered" actually means "survived" (ie didn't die).

The UK NHS is particularly reliable with stats because it's a national system, and it found that 45% of covid cases discharged from hospital were not "recovered", but required ongoing care.

I also posted a link yesterday (on this thread) to research indicating that around 50% of covid cases result in long covid, ie they didn't die but they hadn't recovered either.

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Case count is simply confirmed / tested cases, and since Thais aren't test crazy or willing to pay for a low flu symptoms case, just to test if flu or covid, as don't care and why spend the money, case count is just a guess.

If death count is accurate, and population is about 70 million, then the %, chance of dying from is very accurate, and very low.  

IF the deaths reported is fake, doubtful, then who's to say it isn't the other direction, meaning it's less severe.  You can't have it both way, fake and agree with your spin.  

Never said fake.  They just admit their numbers are not 100% accurate.  Just like every other country in the world.  And most admit they are under counted.  Cases and deaths.

Thus, relying on these stats is faulty.  Though covid deniers love the lower numbers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Never said fake.  They just admit their numbers are not 100% accurate.  Just like every other country in the world.  And most admit they are under counted.  Cases and deaths.

Thus, relying on these stats is faulty.  Though covid deniers love the lower numbers.

OK, times by 10 and still have a 90+% chance of surviving Covid in Thailand.  How's that ?  I'm liking those odds vs say, getting cancer.

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OK, times by 10 and still have a 90+% chance of surviving Covid in Thailand.  How's that ?  I'm liking those odds vs say, getting cancer.

Better.  But the odds of surviving cancer are still better.  As I've shown you before.

12 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Better.  But the odds of surviving cancer are still better.  As I've shown you before.

Then we agree, just different opinions on info ????

Only problem, I agree to disagree, others don't.  

I know I'm not any more a threat to anyone...

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

How convenient that you decided that its' "doubtful" deaths reports might not be accurate. Perhaps the total number of deaths reported is accurate, but that doesn't address the question of excess mortality. Our worldindata.org provides excess mortality reports about 41 countries. For instance, Russia has a total excess mortality of 940,000, yet only about 250,000 of those are ascribed to Covid. Amazing coincidence, no? Another amazing fact is that despite the fact that Thailand is judged to have an excellent public health system, it doesn't report on excess mortality. So ourworldindata.org or other research bodies don't have the official figures they need to make such reports.

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Then we agree, just different opinions on info ????

Only problem, I agree to disagree, others don't.  

I know I'm not any more a threat to anyone...

You are a threat to others if you don't mask up.  It's not my opinion, it's the opinion of all the credible medical experts and scientists.