I am Done With Thai Retirement Extensions - Relocating to Ecuador or Mexico on Permanent Residency

sam6345

Well, at least you have had 15 years of the good life!  I've just retired at 60 and although we've owned our own property in Thailand for the past 15 years or so we've only been able to visit each year for about 6 weeks at a time, due to work commitments. However now we are free of work we are planning to stay for longer to really enjoy our home and have more time to visit family and friends over there. Just hope the paperwork isnt too much for visas etc but having read your post I doubt it. You would think that the Thai authorities would do all they can to welcome foreigners as the country is really struggling without tourists but it seems that they're making  it more difficult than ever!  It will push potential visitors/buyers away,as it has in your case. Don't understand why?

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

But you can see that there is a difference between getting a legitimate income certificate that says you have 65K pm income Gross & being able to transfer 65K pm Nett don't you?

... not really.  If you can't prove you have it on paper.  Don't know how you would, since our embassies screwed that up.  Though a good thing, saves me $50 USD a year, and a trip there.  65k transferred in is simply to easy.

Added to that people are now forced to transfer at least 65k pm over to Thailand whereas they may only need 1/2 of that to live on (granted they can send it back but you cannot say that things haven't changed if you're forced to do that). 

... doesn't matter what you can live on, matters to have what you know ahead of time, that they want you to have.  Hasn't changed, from day one, you needed 65k a month.  Only thing changed, people don't have it.

Again, I'm not affected by any of these rule changes but I can see how some guys may have been. 

... they shouldn't have been affected.  All Thai Imm is asking, if you been saying you have 65k a month ... 'show me' Seriously, if you're moving to a foreign country, you really should have 65k a month income. 

Need it or not, which you probably should have, if wanting to be comfortable.  Unless you want to live in 1 room, use public trans, eat street food.  What happens if you get sick.  If you don't have 65k a month, it's doubtful you have savings for an oops or health ins.

18 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

In the '90's, I was working daily my shift.
After my shift, I was every day (including the weekends 4 hours in the gym).
I had a very strong body and nothing could stop me.
Until December '95, when I suffered a stroke and I was initially completly paralyzed.
Fortunatly, due to my strong body, I was back on my roots 6 months later.
I lost several movement at my right side forever (could not write clear anymore and could not run> , but the was OK.

I went back to work and a few months later back to the gym.
Until December '97, when I suffered several heart attacks in a short time and went into a Coma.

I recovered, but I had a Pacemaker and several Bypasses.
I was not allowed to work anymore, go to the gym, etc..

Take care about what you say.
Your health can change from one day to the other.

Hopefully my post did not come across the wrong way.

I'm well aware of how ill health can impact any of us at a moment's notice irrespective of how healthy we think we are or what healthy lifestyles we live.

I'm sure we all have an Aunt/Uncle who lived to be 100 despite smoking a pack of ciggies a day & at the same time went to school with some kid who was very athletic but was struck down with a heart attack, brain tumour, cancer etc... before they'd graduated. 

Hope your health improves when you move to Europe (I'm sure parts of places like Portugal would be more healthy for me than Bangkok, but I've recently moved out to Wongamat so at least the air is healthier here) . 

Take care ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 11:41 PM, Chris.B said:

You must be a wealth man to be able to afford to retire at 50 years old.

Same as Confucius, early @ 46 yrs old

Wealth ???  Just nice 'planned' retirement.

Guess I made a few good choices, and little luck never hurts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

But you can see that there is a difference between getting a legitimate income certificate that says you have 65K pm income Gross & being able to transfer 65K pm Nett don't you?

... not really.  If you can't prove you have it on paper.  Don't know how you would, since our embassies screwed that up.  Though a good thing, saves me $50 USD a year, and a trip there.  65k transferred in is simply to easy.

The point is these guys did have it on paper according to the rules at that time, now they're being asked to meet a different set of rules - That's a change in the rules as far as they are concerned. 

Added to that people are now forced to transfer at least 65k pm over to Thailand whereas they may only need 1/2 of that to live on (granted they can send it back but you cannot say that things haven't changed if you're forced to do that). 

... doesn't matter what you can live on, matters to have what you know ahead of time, that they want you to have.  Hasn't changed, from day one, you needed 65k a month.  Only thing changed, people don't have it.

No, the rule was you needed to be able to show a gross income of 65K, now you need a nett (of taxes & expenses) income of 65K - Again, this is different than what it was.

Again, I'm not affected by any of these rule changes but I can see how some guys may have been. 

... they shouldn't have been affected.  All Thai Imm is asking, if you been saying you have 65k a month ... 'show me' Seriously, if you're moving to a foreign country, you really should have 65k a month income. 

Need it or not, which you probably should have, if wanting to be comfortable.  Unless you want to live in 1 room, use public trans, eat street food.  What happens if you get sick.  If you don't have 65k a month, it's doubtful you have savings for an oops or health ins.

I actually agree with you here & would not have chosen to retire in Thailand if I couldn't afford considerably more than 65K pm but the fact is I only retired here 3 years ago & other guys retired many years ago when the rules were different, at least when they increased the money in the bank they grandfathered people on the previous limit.

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The point is these guys did have it on paper according to the rules at that time, now they're being asked to meet a different set of rules - That's a change in the rules as far as they are concerned. 

No, the rule was you needed to be able to show a gross income of 65K, now you need a nett (of taxes & expenses) income of 65K - Again, this is different than what it was.

If you can show it on paper, then you should have.  Don't know about other countries, but US embassy income letter was just an affidavit, so you could say whatever you wanted, and apparently many did.

Did state down the bottom, info was not verified.  Maybe someone in Thai Imm actually read it one day.????

They could easily verified with tax records, simply too lazy to do it for our $50.  I'm glad, as I save $50 now.  Where I come from in USA, it's illegal to charge more than $5 for a notary.  $50, what a scam.

Not sure about the gross vs net, always thought was just 'income'.   Which I think a lot of people had an issue.  I can see their pension being enough, but maybe an 'ex' had dibs on it, so in reality, they themselves didn't have the full amount to deposit in Thai bank.

All the tightening of the rules that have always been there, are because of those that didn't follow the rules, and the rest of us are paying for it.  Not me, but the good ones, that now fall through the cracks, just missing the requirements by a wee bit.  In the past, they may have been a bit ore compassionate, but screw to many time by the scammers.

Rule breaker always ruin it for those that follow the rules.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

NO!!!!!

The 800K needs to be in there for three months after your extension, then never under 400K until the next 800k two month seasoning period.

Then that's different from 2017, as I used the 800k, changing from marriage to retirement visa (in country), and after visa approved, withdrew all, putting it back in interest bearing account.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:46 PM, CHEYENNE5668 said:

I've heard good things about Panama's expat friendly Pensionado visa. A friend recently relocated there. I'll let him be my canary in the coal mine so to speak before I make any rash decisions. Good luck to you... 

Maybe...but I suggest you spend a 6 months / year there before you deicide anything. Panama, to me. is quite dull.

Mexico Ecuador Costa Rica and Colombia get my preferences ( not sure about how easy to remain there though )

10 minutes ago, alyx said:

Maybe...but I suggest you spend a 6 months / year there before you deicide anything. Panama, to me. is quite dull.

Mexico Ecuador Costa Rica and Colombia get my preferences ( not sure about how easy to remain there though )

All four of those have very good retirement programs leading to permanent residence. In Mexico you can actually get permanent residence from the start (higher financial qualifications for that of course). Often which countries that people like is a matter of taste and temperament.

What about Peru? Lima seems good for food and third-world women with European looks. But it is overcast half the year due to the marine layer. Rainfall is low. There some air pollution. Arequipa is a mid-sized city at higher elevation so the weather and air are better. Peru treat visitors well.

Thoughts on Peru?

1 hour ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

What about Peru? Lima seems good for food and third-world women with European looks. But it is overcast half the year due to the marine layer. Rainfall is low. There some air pollution. Arequipa is a mid-sized city at higher elevation so the weather and air are better. Peru treat visitors well.

Thoughts on Peru?

While I don't have anything specific to share about Peru itself, it should be noted that Peru is one of the 5 visa-free countries that have access to Thailand.

That means should you spend at least 5 uninterrupted years in Peru, you then would most likely be eligible for the Peruvian citizenship, the Peruvian passport has a 90 days visa-free access to Thailand (through the Visa on Arrival program), should you wish to return to Thailand at some point later in your life...

Life is an adventure.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, DrJack54 said:

Agents are an option that's well know and if suits someone then fine. 

Here is link to my report of annual extension done Tuesday. You won't read it but it outlines how simple extensions are.

You should know as well as the rest of us that while you’re having a simple process, the guy at the next booth with exactly the same paperwork as you is faced with an IO having a bad day and making the guy suffer for no reason. 

9 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Good luck to you. I can totally understand your frustration. 

The Thai's feel almost as uneasy about foreigners as the Japanese, let's face it, the rules aren't going to change in a culture that defines itself by the idea of superiority and the the importance placed on calling out the "non-Thainess" in others.

Young thais are not like that much at all and it is a decade or so before they rule.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes its different.

The rules changed, as I've said multiple times already meeting absurd denials of reality.

The thing that has changed is requirent to have medical insurance for anyone entering Thailand,for elderly that is a killer,too expensive,even for comparatively young as well,buy property,same same awaits,property just made worthless

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fredscats said:

The thing that has changed is requirent to have medical insurance for anyone entering Thailand,for elderly that is a killer,too expensive,even for comparatively young as well,buy property,same same awaits,property just made worthless

Isn't this "Only" the $50K Covid Insurance now or do returning Non-Imm O's still need to have the 400K/40K Health Insurance that was part of getting a CoE.    

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Non-Imm O's still need to have the 400K/40K Health Insurance that was part of getting a CoE.    

Non O never needed that and still don't. Non O-A, needed that (it was nothing to do with COE, it was a requirement for the visa and extension based on the visa) and it's now been replaced with the requirement for US$100,000 health cover.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Non O never needed that and still don't. Non O-A, needed that (it was nothing to do with COE, it was a requirement for the visa and extension based on the visa) and it's now been replaced with the requirement for US$100,000 health cover.

I thought Embassies had been insisting Non-Os needed the 400K/40K Health Insurance to get a CoE. 

Is the $100K insurance Covid specific or general Health Insurance? 

Edit: I'd also read that the Covid Insurance had gone down to $50K but am unsurprised to learn that this has changed, again...

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I thought Embassies had been insisting Non-Os needed the 400K/40K Health Insurance to get a CoE. 

Can't say I've heard much about that.

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Is the $100K insurance Covid specific or general Health Insurance? 

General.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Well done OP, Thailand is not what it use to be.

Yes, but it's the same everywhere. 

The world is not what it use to be. 

We have changed, you may not be getting the attention you once received, or your tolerance to nonsense may be reduced.

Go with the flow, adjust. 

Age, something we have to factor in. We need to be flexible and adapt to change, it's survival. 

Just chill. 

• Like 1

If Thailand sticks to the new rules  (Thailand Pass) medical insurance etc inc. it will make a sorry mess for everyone,feel like a prisoner,the imposition of compulsary medical insurance will make it a nightmare to many elderly ex pats......as for foreign holiday makers looking to Thailand..that ain't going to happen..........but thats down to covid  which is never ever going to go away

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, DrJack54 said:

List the changes.

Skip the change to money in bank requirement. Not huge hurdle.

And the others are? 

I did annual extension this week.

Keep 800k in Thai bank all year.

Bank letter. 

Few photocopies of passport pages.

Pretty much all I needed to provide. Walk in the park.

I'm doing the 800k in bank, this year for my non O. 

What does my bank letter need to  say.. 

Or can I just show Chonburi Immi 

My updated passbook.. ???