I am Done With Thai Retirement Extensions - Relocating to Ecuador or Mexico on Permanent Residency

sam6345

On 11/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, Jingthing said:

As one who has become notoriously well known for getting into the weeds on retirement visa / residency details of nations other than Thailand, I would suggest Mexico over Ecuador. Ecuador is going to give you a big problem with their requirements (MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS) for apostilled police reports from Thailand that have freshness expiration dates. Their immigration offices have no flexibility whatsoever on that matter. 

Even better: Colombia. Fantastic destination, very modern infrastructure, significantly less expensive than Mexico, excellent and required to enroll health system. and no hassles with police reports (they'll just check Interpol themselves). Yes, there are safe cities there. Just avoid Bogota, Cartegena, Cali, and unfortunately now even Medellin. However if you have high global income, then choose Mexico, as Colombia will tax that. Both offer easy enough paths to permanent residency. 

Being married to a Thai should be enough for permanent residency, but in the case of separation or divorce, PR should be taken away.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Totally understood.  But not every place in the world has changed as much as here.  We live in one of the fastest growing areas in the world.  Asia.  Impossible to change, so we'll move on to another location.  Which will have issues just like here.  No stress. 

The difference Thailand today, now, is it is run by an unelected soldier masquerading as a PM instead of a democratically elected government.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PeachCH said:

If married to a Pinay, you get a permanent visa and have to visit immigration once a year and pay 310 Peso. (210 Baht). 

The issued needed ID is valid for 5 years and has to be renewed when expired. 

Is there any reason why Thailand can't do anything similar? Don't tell me. Money??

24 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Udonjoe the visa expert doesn't say retirement extensions have changed requirements."

That's true, but you will find out as you go along that different IOs and even different officers have their own interpretations of the rules.

It is NOT true!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

But what if you don't have a partner when you fall of your perch?

I am no financial expert, but I thought that this 800k Bt had to stay in the bank, I know you can take so much out at certain times, but the rules regarding this keep changing from time to time.

Once in 15 yrs is not from time to time.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

You never know what is going to happen with these soldiers. If I knew I would have to do this nonsensical 90 day reporting like a prisoner on parole, I would never have came here even if it took just one min of my time.

So why did you come here ? you just failed to research before you came.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You need letter from bank.

They should be familiar with what is required. It basically confirms that you are the owner of the bank account and also shows balance.

I prefer to obtain it on same day that I attend immigration, however few days early is acceptable at most immigration office. 

Also update your bank book by making a transaction on day of application.

I took a picture of my letter in case this question arose but think I trashed it. Ubonjoe has posted sample bank letter in a thread. 

Will try find it.

Screenshot_20211107-084306.jpg

Thanks very much Dr Jack. 

I will go to my bank tomorrow.

Go to immigration on Wednesday, when not so busy.. 

On 11/5/2021 at 11:18 PM, Mike Teavee said:

I take it this was a typo & you meant annual extensions... 

I'm only in my 3rd year of doing extensions but I don't find them (or TM30/90 day reports) onerous as I just pay an agent to do it for me:-

• Annual Extension - 7,000 (Bangkok) - 8,000 (Pattaya) - NB If you don't meet the financial requirements it's 12,500 + an extra 2,500 if you're on a Non-Imm OA & don't meet the health insurance requirements either
  • TM30 - Free, my Estate Agent did it for me
  • 90 Day Report - Normally free (online) but have problems this year so 200 THB with an agent. 

I get that these requirements may change but in the past decade+ since I've been planning my retirement in Thailand, the only examples I can think of are the tightening up around the financial requirements (limits stayed the same) & the addition of Health Insurance for Non-Imm OA - (Which I acknowledge is a huge deal for some guys)

TBH If I was 65 & sick of dealing with annual extensions, I would get the 20 year Thai Elite Visa (1 Million)  before I would up-sticks & move 1/2 way across the world (though I get that it's a lot closer to the US for you). 

Anything onerous and I pay an agent Once a year for retirement extension. TM 30? Only required when moving house and is done by the landlord or the hotel when traveling. Good luck to the OP. Hope he keeps in touch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You could not be more wrong, I researched all right, when I came here 15 years ago, it was just a nice pleasant drive to Maesot every ninety days, most of the other expats I got talking to were doing the same thing. Then I was on a work permit as a school teacher for a few years.

I will say it again. If I knew I would be getting treated like a prisoner on parole, I would probably have headed for the Philippines.

Yeah. Recalling the good old days of long-term stay/residency visa situations - before the advent of marriage/retirement visa types [O/OA] - could step out of the country for a day [even less] every three months.......one could do this forever. And many did. 

And then the restrictions and control policies kicked in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been here since 1991 June 6, the first 2 years I had agent do the annual extension for me an my daughter. Seen easy so I tired on the 3rd year myself, went smoothly all I did was add a extra envelope with 1000 baht bill in it, Had all paperwork in one large Brown envelope. That when fine for about 4 years the then on the 6th year IO was gone new Lady working the english speaking countries, pull the extra envelope and went just as smoothly as before. But do I mind changes to the rules, seems like each year something new is added the list of documents. But I do not plan on leaving as the health care is better here than in the USA. Need a MRI done in the USA week or two before you get, here done with in one hour just can not beat that anywhere I know of.

Edited by Dickp
spelling error and word left out

23 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The difference Thailand today, now, is it is run by an unelected soldier masquerading as a PM instead of a democratically elected government.

So what? It's happened many times before. In fact, 18 times already. Each time, they handed back to a civilian government (who didn't seem to do much better).

I've lived here through a few of them and absolutely nothing changed for me at all in my daily life.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

So what? It's happened many times before. In fact, 18 times already. Each time, they handed back to a civilian government (who didn't seem to do much better).

I've lived here through a few of them and absolutely nothing changed for me at all in my daily life.

But these are the worst and they are here to stay.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:43 AM, Destiny1990 said:

The process all together is annoying and repetitive then submitting hundreds of signed photocopies, pics of my house, bedroom, and my gf, TM30, house visits, unclear insurances, bank statements.etc etc  I am not willing to continually waist my time on this .Complicated visas it thrives expats out. My child his Int school was yearly 315k, house rent 25k, received lots of visitors and family yearly from Europe, my car 1 million bht.  

The onerous paperwork you describe: 'hundreds of signed copies'...if true then PAY AN AGENT!!! to help you just as we pay an accountant to help us sometimes or get your wife to help!

16 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The onerous paperwork you describe: 'hundreds of signed copies'...if true then PAY AN AGENT!!! to help you just as we pay an accountant to help us sometimes or get your wife to help!

< 100 pages, but not much, and yes, it's an amazing amount of paperwork / copies required for my -O- marriage visa extension. 

Just the 2 copies of Bank info account for about 50 pages, 2 per month, 24 X 2. 

About 6 pages of photos,

2 of marriage verification,

2 of certification,

2 house map to Imm,

2 app forms w/photos,

2 copies of 3 pages of lease (6),

2 copies of home owners blue book & ID (6 ttl),

2 copies of 10ish pages of my passport (20). 

2 copies of witness statement & his / her ID (6). 

Silly part, they have copies of the same, minus bank info, from previous 4 year of extending (x4) at same Imm office, as all those, other than bank info, is exactly the same.  It is mind boggling.

Still an easy process, but so redundant.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1