Prayut orders relevant agencies to halt cross-border migration

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-ocha on Friday urged his government to solve the country’s cross border migration problem to combat the covid crisis

That's a very big ask in a country that actively promotes leaky borders.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, djayz said:

Where is your proof that it was "most likely" the Burmese who brought that variant here? I thank you in advance for bing your source. 

I think it was someone coming from Cambodia.

31 minutes ago, djayz said:

It could just as well have been a Thai - or an expat for that matter - returning from a trip abroad who smuggled the pesky virus in.

Almost zero chance that it was a Westerner.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, djayz said:

These Burmese seem to be terrible people. They come here to rape and kill nice white girls holidaying on islands and now they are enemy number 1 in the fight against Covid. Terrible people! (sarcasm)

You are pretty close to how a lot of Thais see them,and what is taught in schools.

Myanmar has been an enemy for many years in the past and the Thais have a hard time forgetting

that.

7 minutes ago, jvs said:

You are pretty close to how a lot of Thais see them,and what is taught in schools.

Myanmar has been an enemy for many years in the past and the Thais have a hard time forgetting

that.

That may well be the case, but we all know what their education is like, so most of them can't help it. GIGO. However, I am indignant to read some comments from fellow expats who also spout out this xenophobic drivel about Burmese. 

11 minutes ago, djayz said:

That may well be the case, but we all know what their education is like, so most of them can't help it. GIGO. However, I am indignant to read some comments from fellow expats who also spout out this xenophobic drivel about Burmese. 

I see it almost the same as some older Europeans still hating the Germans,time to let go and move on.

• Thanks 1

Over 4,800Km of borders, almost all unfenced and unmarked.  Should be simple to close those.  ????

If the US with all its resources can't close its 3,000+Km Southern border and the UK can't close its 30Km ditch (though that's from lack of political will), what chance does Thailand have?

• Like 1

Human migration globally is driven by poverty and lack of opportunities. Period, until Thailand get Myanmar to fix that it will continue. If the army catch and send back migrants, all the migrants will do is a swift about turn and re enter again..as they have no other option as they live in abject poverty with very limited means to support themselves or their families. Until poverty is fixed, there is nothing, nothing the Thai army or government can do to stop migrants coming here. 

Prayut orders relevant agencies to halt cross-border migration.

Where have we heard this before? Was it with the Burma border and all the illegals getting bussed into Thailand with the IOs looking the other way with their filled pockets which started of the second wave of the Cvirus.

Did the soldier masquerading as a PM not say he would look into it?

Just like the there will be no coup, then more recently, there will be no floods.

Does anyone actually listen to this joker anymore?

The corruption income generated to senior police and military is too much to stop this trade. Prayut could easily do this by knocking heads hard like the old dictator Sarit but consequences are too scary for him and Prawit to contemplate. Lip pservice is the safest way.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

solve the country’s cross border migration problem

Impossible, with the hundreds of miles of open border land in heavily forested and mountainous terrain, as I well know from my days with the Tourist Police based in Chiang Rai. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

number of unregistered migrants crossing the border is growing,

Just in from "Breaking News" The Nation this afternoon (6th November 2021):-

A group of 23 illegal Myanmar migrants, three of whom were dead and four seriously injured, were found stranded on the roadside in Kamphaeng Phet province on Saturday.

Initial interrogation revealed that the group had entered Thailand illegally via natural channels and had paid agents 7,000 to 23,000 baht per person to transport them in a pick-up truck from ............ Mae Sot to job sites in different parts of Thailand.

“When the truck reached Kamphaeng Phet, it lost control while travelling downhill and overturned. Some of the passengers were thrown overboard,”

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40008495

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Impossible, with the hundreds of miles of open border land in heavily forested and mountainous terrain, as I well know from my days with the Tourist Police based in Chiang Rai. 

Up Fang way i have actually driven into Burma without realising it twice; no Border markings or Border Checkpoints whatsoever. The only way i knew where i had stumbled into was when i reached a Village and noticed they were driving on the other side of the road.  Second time i saw a Burmese Police Car at the same time he saw me and he then told me to turn around and go back the way i came !

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Where is your proof that it was "most likely" the Burmese who brought that variant here? I thank you in advance for bing your source. 

It could just as well have been a Thai - or an expat for that matter - returning from a trip abroad who smuggled the pesky virus in. 

These Burmese seem to be terrible people. They come here to rape and kill nice white girls holidaying on islands and now they are enemy number 1 in the fight against Covid. Terrible people! (sarcasm)

You are quoting as if i am blaming Myanmaar for the issue. Not the case. But as soon as India was hit with covid, and the political instability in Myanmaar, along with some non existant borders between Mayanmaar and India, then it was clear the virus would enter Maynaanmar. Thailand was always going to end up in trouble as it had loads of routes from Myanmaar into Thailand.