So - how do you see climate change effects Thailand?

Thunglom

19 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Sealevels are changing already. but the second part is that people expect a sudden change which is incorrect the change is exponential.

No, it is not exponential. It's a totally straight, almost constant rate, which was unaffected by recent industrialisation of the developed world:   

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/9/10/104008/meta

1536932361__P6NoModernSLRAccelerationSharp.jpg.7cfd902f6eb2b159fe449d55beb39cc4.jpg

There was another study by Simon Holgate, of Sea Level Research, Ltd:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251439418_On_the_decadal_rates_of_sea_level_change_during_the_twentieth_century

912440064__P8SLR1900v2.jpg.b0972671d80824167c115e2dc40ba135.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

No, it is not exponential. It's a totally straight, almost constant rate, which was unaffected by recent industrialisation of the developed world:   

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/9/10/104008/meta

1536932361__P6NoModernSLRAccelerationSharp.jpg.7cfd902f6eb2b159fe449d55beb39cc4.jpg

There was another study by Simon Holgate, of Sea Level Research, Ltd:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251439418_On_the_decadal_rates_of_sea_level_change_during_the_twentieth_century

912440064__P8SLR1900v2.jpg.b0972671d80824167c115e2dc40ba135.jpg

No you are incorrect - a one stat wonder....the facts of climate change are exponential - they start small and will increase exponentially.

you're not even looking in freight place try dipping into some of these....

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=exponential+effects+of+climate+change&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

"since then there have been other reports concerned with sea levels - Since the publication of the 2013 IPCC assessment, attempts have been made to include more physical processes and to develop models that can project sea level rise using paleoclimate data. This typically led to higher estimates of sea level rise.[62][57][95] For instance, a 2016 study led by Jim Hansen concluded that based on past climate change data, sea level rise could accelerate exponentially in the coming decades, with a doubling time of 10, 20 or 40 years, respectively, raising the ocean by several meters in 50, 100 or 200 years.[95]"  - wiki.

However if you are dealingsolely with sea levels, you are missing the whole picture. Sea levels may well effect Thailand more than some other effects as there is a lot of the kin=gom only a matter offer above sea level.

the  are maps used by surveyors that show which areas are most likely to be flooded. 

Edited by Thunglom
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, blackprince said:

largely white men,

My comment will surely get me blacklisted. It's a shame yours didn't (get you).

China is a massive contributor to greenhouse gas.

You're right about Africa though. Nothing going on there except war, famine and overpopulation.

Edited by Chad3000

8 hours ago, Oblomov said:

Cities such as  Bangkok and Jakarta already precarious and doomed to flooding and sinking.

Indeed they are, but because of water extraction from under them, not sea rise.

That is well known for Bkk, but for Jakarta how about THIS.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sealevel-subsidence-jakarta-sr-idUSKBN0K016S20141222

Jakarta is sinking because of a phenomenon called subsidence. This happens when extraction of groundwater causes layers of rock and sediment to slowly pancake on top of each other.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunglom said:

but the are talking about the "arctic and antarctic circles circles under which there is a lot of "land".

Would help if you got your facts right. Yes, the Antarctic ice cap is on land but

The Arctic is an ocean, covered by a thin layer of perennial sea ice and surrounded by land.

https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2861/arctic-and-antarctic-sea-ice-how-are-they-different/

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Extreme weather tormenting the planet will worsen because of global warming, U.N. panel finds

While that may be true, it does not follow that it would not have happened without the presence of humanity, nor is it likely that anything we could do, IMO, is going to change it to something else.

Climate change occurs over very long periods of time and short term things, like driving electric cars, which are immensely profitable to a few, isn't going to effect a reversal ( especially when the electricity to motivate them is produced by burning fossil fuel ).

By all means stop cutting down the rain forests and throwing garbage into the sea, as we need to clean up the planet, but it's not going to change climate an iota, IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

my beachside home of 1960 is still beachside, and the sea isn't any nearer to it (Shoreham Beach).

Sea level rise on the coast of NZ where I live is so insignificant that I have noticed zero change in my lifetime. Perhaps some are suggesting that sea level is higher in some parts of the planet ( other than tidal variation ) than others, LOL.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sealevel-subsidence-jakarta-sr-idUSKBN0K016S20141222

Jakarta is sinking because of a phenomenon called subsidence. This happens when extraction of groundwater causes layers of rock and sediment to slowly pancake on top of each other.

Yes I know they've been  draining aquifers  for decades and that causes the subsistence but my general point was that human activity is at the root of this self destructive ruin - of course most of our main cities have their genesis as ports, so are at vulnerable points for storm surges and rivers rising and pushing through cities.

I'm involved n and also very interested in engineering and find it astounding that aquifers are being drained rather than a more sustainable solution found and still so much water just wasted.

13 hours ago, billsmart said:

It will affect Thailand just like it will affect the rest of the planet. It will eventually kill all humans, most other animals, and most plants. Read the details in my book I wrote over a year ago.  Below is a link to its Facebook page which describes it and has other links to which you can go to buy a paperback, ebook, or even get a free ebook. 

https://web.facebook.com/booktheicarussyndrome/

Revenge of Gaia on humanity for destroying the nice planet she gave us?

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rad my earlier post.

Just now, Oblomov said:

Yes I know they've been  draining aquifers  for decades and that causes the subsistence but my general point was that human activity is at the root of this self destructive ruin - of course most of our main cities have their genesis as ports, so are at vulnerable points for storm surges and rivers rising and pushing through cities.

I'm involved n and also very interested in engineering and find it astounding that aquifers are being drained rather than a more sustainable solution found and still so much water just wasted.

I agree that humans are making Bkk sink, but I don't think we are causing the weather to change.

Follow the money. It's cheaper to suck water out of the ground than develop more sustainable solutions. Greed rules, IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

I doubt if anyone would dispute that change is a natural phenomena. What is a concern is the acceleration in the rate of change.

I grew up in the north of Scotland and as a child snow was a certainty, the only variable was duration. Now it is the exception as opposed to the rule.

That has come about over 3 to 4 decades and you may well consider nothing unusual in that.

If however the experts say that should have taken 3 to 4 centuries I know who I would be more inclined to believe.

Unless the "experts" can come up with something better than driving electric cars, solar panels and windmills I doubt anything is going to change.

Is it significant that immense amounts of money are being made by selling electric cars, solar panels and windmills, and not much by saving the rain forests, cleaning up pollution, or reducing the planet's population?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sea level rise on the coast of NZ where I live is so insignificant that I have noticed zero change in my lifetime. Perhaps some are suggesting that sea level is higher in some parts of the planet ( other than tidal variation ) than others, LOL.

Isn't New Zealand rising because it is a Volcanic area or on the edge of a plate (I am not an expert), much like Hawaii. I think places like New Zealand and Hawaii will actually get bigger.

Just now, bangkokbonecollector said:

Isn't New Zealand rising because it is a Volcanic area or on the edge of a plate (I am not an expert), much like Hawaii. I think places like New Zealand and Hawaii will actually get bigger.

If it is I haven't noticed any sea level change, but I expect that sort of change would take longer than my lifetime to see.

However, if the active volcano not far off shore did a Krakatoa it's probably goodbye to a significant part of NZ.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 5:33 PM, clokwise said:

Extreme weather events are the pretty obvious ones. Periods of extreme heat, extreme droughts and countless extreme floods every year will become the norm. Bangkok and a number of other low lying provinces will essentially become unlivable as the waters rise.

I suspect one of the least expected side-effects will be climate refugees coming from all points, and not just from within the country. Particularly those coming from Bangladesh and India, who will not be warmly welcomed, to put it mildly.

Tosh.  Of the extreme variety.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, blackprince said:

Changes to climate, both man-made and natural, generally happen over a longer timespan than human life. That's one reason why it's taken so long for the average joe to understand the issues. But now the overwhelming majority of average joes do understand enough of the issues.

It's a pity you don't!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree that humans are making Bkk sink, but I don't think we are causing the weather to change.

Follow the money. It's cheaper to suck water out of the ground than develop more sustainable solutions. Greed rules, IMO.

Might be cheaper in the short term but it won't seem like that when the super wealthy move to the new capital and leave all the peasants in the mud : )

13 hours ago, bokningar said:

Between April and September, a research station sitting on a high plateau in Antarctica, registered an average temperature of minus 78 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 61 degrees Celsius). That’s the coldest temperature recorded since record keeping began in 1957

So?

• Confused 1

On 11/12/2021 at 3:29 AM, 3NUMBAS said:

60 degrees is now common in the   middle east and drought so no/little  crops can be grown ,your gonna fry ,at 60 to 70 degrees

Please stop lying. They are not even close to 60 degrees Celsius, even for one day.

What is the hottest temperature in Middle East?

Image result for high temperatures in the middle east

On June 22, the Kuwaiti city of Nuwaiseeb recorded the highest temperature in the world so far this year at 53.2C (127.7F). In neighbouring Iraq, temperatures reached 51.6C (124.8F) on July 1, 2021, with Omidiyeh, Iran, not far behind with a maximum temperature of 51C (123.8F) recorded so far.