Cigarettes shortage in Thailand?

thecaveman

My favorite brand of cigarettes (Camel Yellow Compact) has been out of stock at our local Makro for more than a month. That's not unusual. Once a product is out of stock, it sometimes takes them ages to restock. But most other brands are also out of stock. Currently they have only 2 or 3 different brands. 

So I went to the nearest 7-11. Surprisingly I faced the same problem there. Not only Camel Yellow were out of stock, but almost all other brands as well. They had only 3 or 4 different brands.

I suspect, this may be related to the tax hike last month, but why does it last so long?

Is this the case everywhere in Thailand at the moment or did I just happen to visit the wrong shops? 

Tax hike has already taken effect, prices has gone up now so hoarding due to speculated price increase should not happen anymore.

Looks to be packaging change regarding warning pictures/message soon that's causing pause in manufacturing/ordering as there might be fine if shop is found to be selling older style packaging after the cutoff date

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

But not Red Cat - you'll be coughing for months ????

Yeah....granted, packed tobacco is a little harsh and stronger - but usually purer product.

Whereas, the commercial tailor made varieties are selected and treated with all kinds of nastiness. 

Chances are, you're addicted to the added chemicals, less the natural occurring nicotine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thecaveman said:

My favorite brand of cigarettes (Camel Yellow Compact) has been out of stock at our local Makro for more than a month. That's not unusual. Once a product is out of stock, it sometimes takes them ages to restock. But most other brands are also out of stock. Currently they have only 2 or 3 different brands. 

So I went to the nearest 7-11. Surprisingly I faced the same problem there. Not only Camel Yellow were out of stock, but almost all other brands as well. They had only 3 or 4 different brands.

That´s the best news ever! Now more people can take a step towards good health and stop smoking.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Yeah....granted, packed tobacco is a little harsh and stronger - but usually purer product.

Whereas, the commercial tailor made varieties are selected and treated with all kinds of nastiness. 

Chances are, you're addicted to the added chemicals, less the natural occurring nicotine.

Agree. I'm not making any accusations but its almost as if they put addictive chemicals in deliberately ????

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Classic virtue signalling........

Not really. I'm not proud of the fact that I quit smoking decades ago. I'd say the only time I'm ever in a tobacco related discussion is in posts like these.

I'm simply making a comment and anonymously at that.

I'm not stating at all how brilliant I am for not smoking in that post merely that I don't.

But in reality, it's a dire habit only practiced anymore by the working classes and poor. Thais no longer smoke.

I have five aunt's. Four died of lung cancer - one at 72. My sister died of related illnesses at 52 but you go ahead...

15 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Not really. I'm not proud of the fact that I quit smoking decades ago. I'd say the only time I'm ever in a tobacco related discussion is in posts like these.

I'm not stating at all how brilliant I am for not smoking in that post merely that I don't.

But in reality, it's a dire habit only practiced anymore by the working classes and poor. Thais no longer smoke.

I have five aunt's. Four died of lung cancer - one at 72. My sister died of related illnesses at 52 but you go ahead...

There are plenty of people in my family that smoke(d). Many have died. (that's pretty much how life ends) Only 2 younger than 80+ including the nonsmokers.

Quitting smoking adds 10 years to your life but it adds them to the end where you're rolling around in a chair, drooling and pooping your pants. I like my family a little more than that so I think I'll keep enjoying my life while upright and coherent. 

To OP - Local shop operators around here (7/11, Max Value, Mom & Pop) all say waiting on new tax - They're all pretty much buying and stocking what they believe they can sell in 2-3 days. (I'm in BKK) CP owned 7/11's know you'll be back whether they stock while waiting or not so don't really care about lost revenue.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:53 AM, thecaveman said:

Of course, it was foreseeable that my question would lead to a general discussion about the harmfulness of smoking. But I would be happy if my question could be answered as well.

Is there a general shortage of many brands of cigarettes in Thailand at the moment or did I just happen to be in the wrong shops?

In CM same problem at BigC and 7/11.  They do not have many of the popular brands!

On 11/14/2021 at 1:52 AM, Chad3000 said:

Ive had more people die in my family for non cigarette related issues than those that do smoke.

Therefore I see no reason for me to quit anytime soon.

• Confused 1

On 11/14/2021 at 6:53 AM, thecaveman said:

Of course, it was foreseeable that my question would lead to a general discussion about the harmfulness of smoking. But I would be happy if my question could be answered as well.

Is there a general shortage of many brands of cigarettes in Thailand at the moment or did I just happen to be in the wrong shops?

Seems the same everywhere it's hit and miss if they have camel yellow, brought a carton of ten packs last week none the week before & now no hab, mini C single packs, but it seems the price is still the same no increase yet, could be truck drivers strike maybe.

I found the same problem in Hua Hin over the weekend - went to about 10 711s in different parts of town, to find no L&M Greens; with most stores having only 10-20% of any brands available.  I ended up going to Pran Buri and Cha Am to get 4 packs!!!

At the same time, has anyone noticed the shortage of fresh vegetables in Tesco-Lotus (now Lorus's)?

I was just at Foodland yesterday on Sukhumvit Soi 5 and they had several cartons of Camel Yellow. I smoke Mevius Skyblue and never had a problem with buying more than 2 packs, actually yesterday I bought 3 cartons, with no problems and I ask the girl the 2 pack rule, and she didn't know anything about as they don't impose it.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:42 PM, overherebc said:

In addition a lot of 7/11s are allowing only 2 packets per customer at an

In my area in the North it's some days have, some days don't have. Some 7-11 shops restrict 2 packs per purchase, so the other day I bought 2, paid, it the door and back in to get 2 more...

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 6:42 PM, overherebc said:

In addition a lot of 7/11s are allowing only 2 packets per customer at any time.

Yeah, but with the silly number of convenience stores here you could buy 100 packets like that and not have to travel more than 200 yards, lol.

I have no problem people  smoking its their choice  helps contribute tax to the government coffers  which can be put to good use ????

Passing point my father was one of those who smoked did not care about the consequences  decided to stop later in life 

But to late died of lung cancer a few years back the damage had been done

• Like 1