SURVEY: Is it time to open schools to in-person learning?

Scott

SURVEY: Is it time to open schools to in-person learning?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This week, Thailand has announced it will start opening many schools in Thailand.  In your opinion is this a good move?  Do you believe it will have a negative impact on Covid numbers?   Chose the option that best expressions your opinion.

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further reading:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1239199-back-to-school-on-monday/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1238222-some-schools-in-thailand’s-northeast-closed-over-covid-concerns-first-week-of-reopening/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1238309-improper-handling-test-kits-may-have-led-to-false-positives-at-mukdahan-school/

I tend to think schools should open.  I am not very trusting of the government, though.  In most of the world, schools were closed when cases were high and opened when the cases dropped.  In Thailand they did the opposite.  The closed when cases were low and are planning on opening when cases are high.  

• Like 1

My son's school opened last week, he's fully Pfizer vaxed and all students had to pass a negative covid test before being allowed back in.  So far he's fine.

On a related subject, parents were notified this weekend if the students or anyone in the same house attended the Pattaya Music Festival, the students would have to do online learning this week and be tested before returning to school.

• Like 2

I voted #4 no which has nothing to due about covid 19 but about the ability of students to really learn and think without rote independently, to use imagination without nationalistic boundaries. 

Ref. Most recently two new education bills passing first reading that could quash young minds further into obedient subjects and not world-class educated citizens. Covid 19 concerns is a Titanic deck chairs shifting while the ship sinks.

Although the Thai Government school education leaves a lot to be desired it is better that nothing and that's all the kids out here in the rice paddies are getting, on line education is virtually non existent and those with access lost interest months ago!

The kids have lost about 6 months now and even with an immediate start there will have to be a revision period so the year is just about a write off.

About 95% of adults here are double vaxed now as well as most eligible kids so lets get going!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In Phuket my Thai grand daughter was due to return to school  full time today.  She had been going part time. All students were tested last Thurs/Friday. Results arrived by email over the weekend that 8  had returned positive results . Almost all the students under 11 remain unvaxed. School is again closed.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

In Phuket my Thai grand daughter was due to return to school  full time today.  She had been going part time. All students were tested last Thurs/Friday. Results arrived by email over the weekend that 8  had returned positive results . Almost all the students under 11 remain unvaxed. School is again closed.

That's why I'm sayin, as a teacher, keep the schools closed. Now, tomorrow, maybe forever. This thing aint gonna blow over anytime soon and a new wave is approaching fast.

Like I told my students before: the best classroom is one without any students

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

Always thought that.....you can so much done without students......all those crazy schemes management dream up, but tell you, you have to implement them.

Online schools are the future. Mark my words.

• Like 1

Just now, MarcelV said:

Online schools are the future. Mark my words.

Rightwing politicians in particular, must be salivating at the very prospects; reduced costs to the state and an opportunity to get snouts in the trough......as you say....it is coming.

• Like 1

Just now, Doctor Tom said:

Then God help the children.  That would be just one more nail in the coffin for poor disadvantaged students without access to expensive technology or internet access, that is to say millions;  to say not teaching any social interaction skills at all.  What a sad world that would be. 

Agree 100%........but many politicians pay little heed to "what is best for the kids".

Schools, as you say, have so much more to offer than 'learning'. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Credo said:

I tend to think schools should open.  I am not very trusting of the government, though.  In most of the world, schools were closed when cases were high and opened when the cases dropped.  In Thailand they did the opposite.  The closed when cases were low and are planning on opening when cases are high.  

That's one of the differences between a country which is run by soldiers without a decent education, and countries run by democratically elected politicians.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

That's one of the differences between a country which is run by soldiers without a decent education, and countries run by democratically elected politicians.

The last thing they want is an educated electorate (if such a thing exists).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, MarcelV said:

That's why I'm sayin, as a teacher, keep the schools closed. Now, tomorrow, maybe forever. This thing aint gonna blow over anytime soon and a new wave is approaching fast.

Like I told my students before: the best classroom is one without any students

Are you really a teacher?

All the ones I speak to at International Schools in Pattaya cant wait to get back to the classroom.

Let me know where you work, I'll make a note to knock that school off my list if I am ever looking to move.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, sungod said:

Are you really a teacher?

All the ones I speak to at International Schools in Pattaya cant wait to get back to the classroom.

Let me know where you work, I'll make a note to knock that school off my list if I am ever looking to move.

I'm sure he isn't and is trying to be provocative.

The results of the poll seem clear. About 50% in favour opening schools regardless of risk. ????

• Like 2

Here in my empty classroom now in Issan. Got my Line Messenger open, waiting for my first period to wake up. ????

Later classes are usually more enthusiatic, though they are getting tired of online learning. They tell me they miss school. They say they miss their friends, and even the food. They're tired of staying home in the villages.

The town misses it too. The nearby primary school tried opening a few weeks ago, and the town came to life again with activity. More traffic, people and vehicles, more street vendors, shops were reopened. The schools are an incredible driving force behind the local economies. But then some cases were reported, the school shut down again, and thus the town is quiet again.

We hit our 80% vaxx target for our school, but some cases have been reported amongst them, so I heard our opening's getting pushed back into December. ????

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm sure he isn't and is trying to be provocative.

The results of the poll seem clear. About 50% in favour opening schools regardless of risk. ????

I am a teacher and I don't mind online teaching. Gives me much more free time. Thank you.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My kid is totally happy at home.

I don't have to drive and collect, and no fees for 'extras'.

I'm OK with the schools staying closed forever.

How old?  I can see online classes working for teenagers, but a class of twenty-five 6-year-olds is chaos.