New Thai education law will kill kids’ creativity, warn critics

webfact

Thailand-education-curriculum_web.jpg

Two key education bills have sailed through the first reading in the parliament, despite warnings that it will seriously damage the quality of Thai education and offer no benefits for Thailand’s more than 10 million children. (Photo by Thai PBS)

Two key education bills have sailed through the first reading in the House of Representatives, despite warnings that both will seriously damage the quality of Thai education.

Among those worried is prominent educator Dr Sompong Jitradub, who says the National Educational Bill and the Learning Promotion Bill are “outdated” and do not represent much-needed educational reform.

“Today’s youngsters enjoy freedom, independence, democracy, diversity, and active citizenship. But these two draft laws appear to promote centralization, dictating what children must do at each stage of their lives,” said Sompong, an education lecturer at Chulalongkorn University.

Full  story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-thai-education-law-will-kill-kids-creativity-warn-critics/

• Sad 17

Just now, jackdd said:

Did you explore career choices from 6 to 12?

I didn't, and I also didn't know what I wanted to do when I left school. Maybe exploring career choices since 6 would have helped, who knows?

I think between 6 and 12 I wanted to be many things many of which were unattainable and not just because of education.

• Like 2

If you read the article, they are suggesting some common sense approaches. Sure, having students consider career choices ages 6-12 won't change their life choices much, but it might just plant a seed or two in fertile soil. I didn't see much wrong at all in the article, but of course it didn't cover the entire bill.

And, as TITS, the bill will be given the attention afforded to all other such doctrines.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Some posters may want to examine the current state of education in their home countries and not rely on their (our) memory of how we were educated back in the day.

Education critique is a big thing currently in most of the Western world.  Essentially our grandkids are now being taught to hate their country, gender is optional and gender fluidity is encouraged, parents are not permitted an opinion on school curriculum, CRT is the new religion, Europeans are the scurge of the earth and responsible for all the world's historical evil, Iconic people from Ghandi to Mother Therese were evil, and calculus (and I kid you not) was actually practiced by Australian Aborigines 50,000 years ago.

I'm not saying the Thai system is any better, but comparing it to what we had 40 years ago is a far cry from comparing it to today's western education systems.

This is about Thailand, so what happens in other countries has no relevance to this thread.

• Like 1