Thailand Pass is being upgraded but passenger stress stories continue with cancellation threats

webfact

1 hour ago, cormanr7 said:

According to some reports, It seems risky to apply just 7 days prior to departure to Thailand, especially if you have some obscure vacc. certificate. That begs the question: how long before departure can you apply for the Thailand Pass. Did anyone try say 4 weeks before departure? Is there an official time period in which you can apply?

I recall some members on the original TP thread who had a few weeks lead time on actual travel stating that they got their QR codes in about 7 to 10 days. Obviously the earlier the better and the 7-days that they say may be too tight if there's need for a document to be resubmitted. Personally, I applied on 2 Nov for an 11 Nov departure and got my QR code on 8 Nov after sending a follow-up email. I read a few members on this tread getting their QR codes same-day or overnight.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

There's definitely a problem with the headline of this subject. Thailand Pass isn't being "uipgraded". That would mean new and better features were being added to it. What's actually going on is that it's being "debugged". In other words being made less defective. Maybe over time not defective at all. But that's still not an upgrade.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 10:13 PM, webfact said:

Officials, in the meantime, are encouraging potential travellers to allow at least 7 days to obtain their required QR codes to enter the country.

If one of the requirements to be submitted is a 72 hour old COVID test, how can one allow 7 days?

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

The most laborious part of the process was hotel booking (Centre Point Thonglor). Send all docs to them ... wait a day or so to get an approval and links to two separate payments, one for hotel, one for hospital for PCR test ... can't just pay them for everything. THB 6500 total (i splashed out for dinner and breakfast, which added THB 500!).

I just got confirmation from Centre Point Terminal 21, and the page they sent indicates the hotel charge and the hospital charge but doesn't say PAID because it's not. Second email sent same time with link how to pay the hospital.

How did you do it finally? Is there space on the TP form for more than one page? I'm doing the hotel etc. when my son gets here to work on it, morning in California. Without a computer person I don't see how anyone can do TP.

Edited by Enzian

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Actually for many people (depending on type of computer and what software they already have) it will  require researching the process and downloading and installing new software. PDF to jpeg/jpg is not something one needs to do often.

4-5 documents involved (depending on how the vaccine record is set up).  Insurance certificates and hotel confirmation come in pdf. It is hardly user friendly to set up a system that won't accept the format these documents typically come in.

I agree, it can be a total headache if you've never had to do it before. Fortunately, I've had some experience with the Thai electronic visa application system with these types of files. However, there are free converters available online that allow you to upload your PDF which converts the document to a JPG format and then downloads it to your PC, or phone, or whatever device you use. There is no real need to purchase software and install it as it can be done totally for free via a website.

Here is such a free online PDF converter to JPG site...

https://pdf2jpg.net/

There's plenty more, but that was the first one I happened across. You just need to make sure your settings for the file size come within the Thailand Pass upload parameters before you upload the final converted JPG file from your PC to the Thailand Pass site.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Senior Player
additional text
  • Like 2

Not sure if this will help many people. If you have ImageMagick installed on your system it is easy to convert PDFs to JPGs and to concatenate JPGs.

Command examples:

%  convert  Luma-Insurance.pdf  Luma-Insurance.jpg
%  convert  Luma-Insurance-0.jpg  Luma-Insurance-1.jpg  Luma-Insurance-2.jpg  -append  Luma-Insurance.jpg

The first command converted my 5 page insurance PDF to 5 separate JPG files.

The second command concatenated the first 3 JPG files into a single JPG file.

On later versions the "magick" command replaces the command "convert".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tingnongnoi said:

The 72 hr covid test isnt part of the Thailand pass requirements!

It is actually but is not required to get the QR code as you do it just before departure. It is required to board flight and to enter the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lapamita said:

i just checked  AXA thai

beginning october bought insurance  for GF 2730 thb  with 100.000 $ covid

now was checking , think now 50.000 $  and was think 100 thb cheaper,like thais are

NO !!!!

Insurance is now 4200 THB   a 100% increase with lower coverage of 50.000

no words

AQ hotels that are now charging around 5000 baht for the ThailandPass one night 'test-and-go' routine were charging 3,200/night under the 14-day CoE, multiple test ASQ regime.

That's 45,000 baht and 14 wasted days then versus 5000 and one wasted night now so are you coming or not?

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:
14 hours ago, Tingnongnoi said:

The 72 hr covid test isnt part of the Thailand pass requirements!

It is actually but is not required to get the QR code as you do it just before departure. It is required to board flight and to enter the country.

ThailandPass application does not require a PCR test therefore a PCR test is not part of the application to get the QR code.

The ThailandPass (and CoE) entry requirements state that the PCR test must be done within 72-hours of start of travel. Those with layovers or plane changes need to ensure that the commencement date/time of that final inbound flight sector is covered by the 'within 72-hours' rule.

I read of a pax who was delayed at the transit airport as the 72-hours on his PCR test had expired during his 5-hour transit layover and before his final, 7-hour flight sector to BKK. He had to pay for another rapid-result PCR test at that transit airport.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm a EU member and the only vaccinationreceipt i've got is the second one and it states 2/2. Can I upload it twice?

In the form, you can use the same European Vaccination Certificate for the 1st and 2nd dose and also send the same QR-code twice. Just use a different date.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:17 AM, NanLaew said:

I recall some members on the original TP thread who had a few weeks lead time on actual travel stating that they got their QR codes in about 7 to 10 days. Obviously the earlier the better and the 7-days that they say may be too tight if there's need for a document to be resubmitted. Personally, I applied on 2 Nov for an 11 Nov departure and got my QR code on 8 Nov after sending a follow-up email. I read a few members on this tread getting their QR codes same-day or overnight.

I'm on day 7 today. Not too concerned yet as my departure isn't until December 7th. We will see how this goes

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I read of a pax who was delayed at the transit airport as the 72-hours on his PCR test had expired during his 5-hour transit layover and before his final, 7-hour flight sector to BKK. He had to pay for another rapid-result PCR test at that transit airport.

What transit airport was that?

13 hours ago, JCP108 said:
21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What transit airport was that?

Don't quote me on this but I recall it was ICN with travel originating on the US east coast, ie. taking the long way home?

I would think that most airports would have the fast PCR re-test ability just in case of flight delays or imprecise flight duration calculations? Otherwise they would be stuck with someone they would need to repatriate at their own cost?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, NanLaew said:

AQ hotels that are now charging around 5000 baht for the ThailandPass one night 'test-and-go' routine were charging 3,200/night under the 14-day CoE, multiple test ASQ regime.

That's 45,000 baht and 14 wasted days then versus 5000 and one wasted night now so are you coming or not?

No, will go ,if nothing change over new year  first to cambodia  ..bcs open , i must even go 7 days in thai asq, bcs not on the list. so saty first camb ..and after 14 days  to thai  maybe depend on situation, after 2 years have to look for my aparts and other things..... for only tourist reason i would not go to thai, nor any other in asia, bcs of the risks of goverment restrictions

On 11/17/2021 at 11:34 PM, Enzian said:

I just got confirmation from Centre Point Terminal 21, and the page they sent indicates the hotel charge and the hospital charge but doesn't say PAID because it's not. Second email sent same time with link how to pay the hospital.

How did you do it finally? Is there space on the TP form for more than one page? I'm doing the hotel etc. when my son gets here to work on it, morning in California. Without a computer person I don't see how anyone can do TP.

While it doesn't require an IT professional  it does require a person who is computer savvy -- and fluent in English. These 2 things combined rule out large swathes of the pitential tourist market.

It also requires a person willing to  spend the time, jump through complicated hoops, and take the risk of forced hospitalization if they test positive here (including a false positive --- they will not do an immediate retest to verify) and risk of forced extended quarantine if they have close contact with anyone who tests positive. Both these risks are small but they do exist.

Put togethe,  all these factors should deter anyone coming purely for holiday with no compelling reason for it to be in Thailand.

Reverting to your questions -- once you have paid both CentrePoint and the hospital you will get a one page confirmation from CentrePoint atating whole T & G package inclusive of test is paid for. You will need to convert it to jpg or jpeg to upload ir on TP app.

You cannot upload more than one document per section in the TP app which is a drawback especially for those with vaccination records that are front and back or more than one page. You would have to convert these to a single document first. Possible but like the pdf to jpg conversion, needs someone adept with computers and is a hassle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Their IT people aren't qualified to run such a critical program. Shutter the whole damned thing and just let fully vaccinated folks in unencumbered or suffer the consequences of failed tourism.

Or take a leaf out of the UK's book, with those who have been fully vaccinated being let into England subject only to (1) taking a test before the end of the second day, and (2) completing an online passenger locator form:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19#amber-list

And maybe compel their IT people to subscribe to lessons from their GOV.UK counterparts in the UK on how to design websites properly???????

Edited by OJAS

On 11/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, NanLaew said:

no i'm not coming ....   it's too complicated and it's too expensive.  I will go to VIETNAM instead

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Don't quote me on this but I recall it was ICN with travel originating on the US east coast, ie. taking the long way home?

I would think that most airports would have the fast PCR re-test ability just in case of flight delays or imprecise flight duration calculations? Otherwise they would be stuck with someone they would need to repatriate at their own cost?

ICN has a 24 hr transit stay limit. I don't believe the 72 hr covid time before his departure ran out, but if he had to stay in ICN transit for more than 24 hrs he would have to be tested again or go into quarantine.