Black smoke: Officials and police cracking down on vehicle emissions as new regulations loom

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: INN

INN reported that the director of the Department of Pollution Control, Department of Land Transport and traffic police were out in force on Rama 2 Road in western Bangkok yesterday as a crackdown on vehicle emissions began.

Attaphol Charoenchansa noted that one of the main causes of pollution from PM2.5 matter between October and March were vehicles spewing out black smoke. 

INN didn't explain why in the rest of the year this didn't seem to matter so much. 

20 checkpoints have been set up on main and secondary roads in the Thai capital and a further 15 are in place in surrounding provinces.

From 13th June 2022 rules on acceptable emissions levels are being tightened up.

Levels of 45% and 50% will in future be readjusted to 30% and 40% limits. 

Total number of vehicle owners in Bangkok fined in 2021 has been 211,560 with 1,589 vehicles ordered off the roads.  

Visa-compliant insurance plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-18

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

5000 baht fine for the owner and 5000 baht fine for the garage that modified the vehicle. Trucks can easily be modified for more power and still minimise smoke output. 

They could make it 0 emmissions but nothing would change as none of the rules are strictly enforced. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Attaphol Charoenchansa noted that one of the main causes of pollution from PM2.5 matter between October and March were vehicles spewing out black smoke. 

Yes good to get the smokey vehicles off the roads but no mention of the decrepit public transport buses still in use in BKK spewing their black smoke  as always for years on end ( LPG buses still stuck in customs ? )

an no mention of the crop and forest fires !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

So 21,000 polluting cars were allowed to remain on the road spewing out their pollution?

No, 210,000 still on the road...............However, do we really believe the 1500 ordered off the road are actually not being driven around right now.:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AhFarangJa said:

No, 210,000 still on the road...............However, do we really believe the 1500 ordered off the road are actually not being driven around right now.:whistling:

Whoops....my bad......I used the online version of the TAT calculator.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Another crackdown... hubba hubba hub of crackdowns.

• Like 1

But what about the rest of Thailand ? Here in Hua hin and Cha am that is now open for tourist and on the open blue list it is like driving through a burning cole mine. So I ask why not putting in a combined evert and clean up the whole Thailand and get rid of this droped loud ilegal trucks that never see the inside of a Garage to get serviced.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL2hlLzAvdWQvMS82Njg1L2Fpci1wb2xsdXRpb24tZnJvbS1jYXItc21va2UuanBn.jpeg.19d721bf214fbc1a103333b0e7e03900.jpeg

6 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This has been a trend among diesel truck fans. I imagine they got it from America. There it's called "rolling coal". They modify the trucks to produce more smoke, then even go as far as putting an upward exhaust pipe that looks like a smokestack. CHOO-CHOO!

Yeah, i've seen the videos as well as daily experience here with the losers that drive these thing..."Look at me, look at me I make big smoke!" Morons here and other nations.

• Like 1

Crackdown? Where? Maybe in Bangkok.

Its a joke - take your car for its annual safety check and see what they do. When I did my car and my bike last the simply stuck the monitor up the exhaust for a few minutes, took it out and carried on.  No figures were noted, the only reason they guy even went back to the machine was to hang the sensor up.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Crackdown? Where? Maybe in Bangkok.

Its a joke - take your car for its annual safety check and see what they do. When I did my car and my bike last the simply stuck the monitor up the exhaust for a few minutes, took it out and carried on.  No figures were noted, the only reason they guy even went back to the machine was to hang the sensor up.

True, I have seen that myself. Safety checks are a joke.