Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

It is still only one year after 5. Not three.

I’ve renewed my 5 year license 3 times after expiry, therefore I’ve had an extra 3 years of validity. 18 years as opposed to 15 years. I’m on about the total time of validity.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You are having a senior moment. Nobody gets 11 years. 5-6 is the max. You must have renewed it 5 or 6 yrs ago and could not recall.

The "issue date" on your DL is not necessarily the last time you had renewed your license. it is a mysterious date on my DL. I had renewed my DL in Dec 2011 and Dec 2017, the "issue date" on my DL is Feb 2012. duh...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

You are having a senior moment. Nobody gets 11 years. 5-6 is the max. You must have renewed it 5 or 6 yrs ago and could not recall.

The "issue date" on your DL is not necessarily the last time you had renewed your license. it is a mysterious date on my DL. I had renewed my DL in Dec 2011 and Dec 2017, the "issue date" on my DL is Feb 2012. duh...

sorry ,not a senior moment , i was in the office 11 years ago , i had a 1 year licence ,which i changed for a new one , thinking it would be 5 years , but no it was for 11 , now as we have lived here for 12 years , 1 plus 11 equals 12 . you can all go on and on as long as you like but thats it , and i shall be there next month for my new one , which i am sure will not be 11 years , but hey ho we can but hope .so duh to you lol

Edited by bert bloggs

On 2/21/2018 at 9:41 AM, bert bloggs said:

sorry ,not a senior moment , i was in the office 11 years ago , i had a 1 year licence ,which i changed for a new one , thinking it would be 5 years , but no it was for 11 , now as we have lived here for 12 years , 1 plus 11 equals 12 . you can all go on and on as long as you like but thats it , and i shall be there next month for my new one , which i am sure will not be 11 years , but hey ho we can but hope .so duh to you lol

Then someone made a mistake. There's no such thing as an 11 year licence.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, bert bloggs said:

On another note ,as i am going for my new licence ,does anyone know how long you can use your residence certificate , i get my licence end next month ,can i get my certificate now?

I think validity is normally 30 days?

Edited by topt
  • Thanks 1

I heard today that you now have to have a doctors certificate when getting a new 5 years licence it has to show that you dont have a variety of diseases including leprosy and elephantitus.no its not a joke it was in a Thai paper.anyone heard about it?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

I heard today that you now have to have a doctors certificate when getting a new 5 years licence it has to show that you dont have a variety of diseases including leprosy and elephantitus.no its not a joke it was in a Thai paper.anyone heard about it?

Yes it was reported on here a while ago but you will have to search for it if you want to see the article as I cannot find it.

This link mentions a med cert 5 diseases form..........

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

But I cannot see a reference to a 5 year renewal?

• Like 1

Yes it was reported on here a while ago but you will have to search for it if you want to see the article as I cannot find it.
This link mentions a med cert 5 diseases form..........
https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

But I cannot see a reference to a 5 year renewal?
Thanks yes i found that .but the article says it starts tomorrow having to have a doctors certificate again oh you musnt be an alchoholic either

my DL expired 3 years ago, can i extend it or do i have to do it all over again ?

also, if i extend, how much time would i have to sit there ?

and is there any way at all i dont have to go there at all, can i hire any company ?

Today i popped into the test centre to ask if you needed a doctors certificate( there was a sign on the wall saying you did from march 1st.. but the woman on the desk told my wife "depends on your residency certificate then went to immegration to get one .took 30 minutes and cost 300 baht asked the girl if i needed one .she said i did not. I assume its because i already have a licence and am on an oa visa. Hope this helps

On 3/1/2018 at 5:23 AM, poanoi said:

my DL expired 3 years ago, can i extend it or do i have to do it all over again ?

also, if i extend, how much time would i have to sit there ?

and is there any way at all i dont have to go there at all, can i hire any company ?

Can only extend upto 1 year after expiry or have to do it all again.

unless

If you have a licence from your home country  you may be able to just do the  eyesight and reaction test

to "convert" to a Thai licence with the same entitlements ie  if your home license enables you to drive a motorbike and car they can give you a Thai motorbike and car licence.

On 3/1/2018 at 5:23 AM, poanoi said:

i dont have to go there at all

No not possible, they will take digital photos and emboss them into the licence at the DLT

On 2/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, topt said:

I think validity is normally 30 days?

The certificate of residence I got  did not  have any date saying when it was issued or when it exprired

just the  dates of my visa start and expiration.... so I think its valid until your visa or permission to stay expires.

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Can only extend upto 1 year after expiry or have to do it all again.

unless

If you have a licence from your home country  you may be able to just do the  eyesight and reaction test

to "convert" to a Thai licence with the same entitlements ie  if your home license enables you to drive a motorbike and car they can give you a Thai motorbike and car licence.

No not possible, they will take digital photos and emboss them into the licence at the DLT

when i got to cambodia, i could convert my thai DL into cambodian DL,

can i revert back ?

problem is, since i always intended to go back, i didnt renew cambodia DL this year

on hiring a company in thailand, i can only sit up a limited amount of time,

i can put up with an hour, but i cant do a whole day

8 minutes ago, johng said:

The certificate of residence I got  did not  have any date saying when it was issued or when it exprired

just the  dates of my visa start and expiration.... so I think its valid until your visa or permission to stay expires.

That surprises me - all the ones I have had from Jomtien have had an issue date at the top.

Depending on the office you go to I cannot imagine them accepting more than 90 days and sure I have been quoted 30 before but happy to be proven wrong.

12 minutes ago, poanoi said:

when i got to cambodia, i could convert my thai DL into cambodian DL,

can i revert back ?

problem is, since i always intended to go back, i didnt renew cambodia DL this year

on hiring a company in thailand, i can only sit up a limited amount of time,

i can put up with an hour, but i cant do a whole day

You may be able to pay to short circuit the system but even then depending on how busy the office is you may have to wait to get the photos done. 

4 minutes ago, topt said:

That surprises me - all the ones I have had from Jomtien

Sorry my mistake,  there is indeed an issue date  on the one I got from Jomtien...no mention of expiry or length of validity.

Edited by johng

13 minutes ago, topt said:

You may be able to pay to short circuit the system but even then depending on how busy the office is you may have to wait to get the photos done. 

yes, and at this stage, i sooner part with money than endure even more pain,

dodging pain takes priority every_single time

Thanks for the update.. I thought it was always the case that for renewal of 5 year  a medical certificate was not needed.
thai license Checklist.pdf

That certainly used to be the case. I've not seen anything yet to say there has been a change in the requirements for renewing a 5-year licence.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2013 at 9:23 AM, craigt3365 said:

I just did this. Needed 2 medical certs and 2 residency certs. Ouch! 400B for the latter 2. For the medical ones, the place I went filled out 2 forms for the same price. 100B.

residency certs are free -  you were done!

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
23 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:
residency certs are free -  you were done!

When were they free? The last few years they've been 300 baht for me from Jomtien

They've been free for as long as I remember, nearly 30 years. Some immigration offices try to charge newbies, tourists and elderly people. Stick to your guns and tell them the law, preferably in Thai and you'll get it free. If not, report them to the immigration hotline.

I have just come onto this site, ive just renewed my 5 year thai licences car ,motorbike, I made many enquirys about  how to proceed.

DONT go to clinic for medical certificates,you don't need medical for renew 5 yr licence only need letter off immigration of your address,ie bike,,car,,3 photos 1 copy of every visa  and 300 baht per letter

Edited by bluebird1
more info