Back to UK for health treatment..

Worldplus

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Therefore it must be true as TV members don't lie.. As I've stated before. My Thai wife believed she had a fishbone stuck in her throat whilst we were visiting a couple of years ago. We went to the emergency at an hospital, no bone found, I asked for a bill but we were told 'no charge'. Now that is true.

Are you accusing people of lying ?

I don't think that anyone is lying , we all have just experienced different things from a NHS that somethings abides by the rules and sometimes doesn't , but no need to accuse anyone of lying .

I am a British citizen and needed a home address before I could register with a G.P.

The NHS are supposed to charge non British residents for NHS treatment , but they dont often bother chasing the payment or even giving a bill because very few people end up paying  

14 hours ago, Worldplus said:

Well..  I presume I am covered by UK healthcare...not lived in UK for 30 yrs..

I am British with a UK passport..

please check it out before u go .. i am from usa and my med ins was 50 percent canceled through my actions 

it took me 9 months to straighten out ..

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

The rules are full of holes.

"If you’re a British expat living overseas permanently, you won’t generally be entitled to access NHS treatment"

How many British expats in Thailand are "permanent residents"?

What does "generally" mean?

Why does paying income tax to fund the NHS get ignored?

Where is Gina Miller when you need her?

The rules are quite clear on the key points of the OP's case.

1. He is not "ordinarily resident" in the UK, so he does not qualify for free NHS treatment, despite being a British citizen.

2. His case in not an emergency case. If it were he wouldn't be posting here about it, or contemplating traveling around the world for treatment.

He has a few options:

1. Return to the UK and take time and expense to satisfy the criteria for "ordinarily resident". Then claim free NHS treatment.

2. Return to the UK and try to cheat the NHS, with the penalties that may be incurred.

3. Return to the UK and pay the 150% NHS fee for non emergency treatment for British citizens who are not "ordinarily resident".

4. Get treated in Thailand.

4 will be overall the cheapest and the safest for him and the people he would be traveling with in options 1, 2, and 3.

Given that we are in the middle of a world wide pandemic of an illness whose main symptoms are respiratory / lung problems, I think it would be foolish to travel across the world with TB - an illness whose main symptoms are respiratory / lung problems. It may also be illegal given the number of times people traveling with TB have been pulled off planes.

What the OP decides to do is his business. My aim is merely to give him accurate fact-based information to help him make a decision.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Worldplus said:

I'm thinking of going back to UK for proper treatment..

You can have treatment in the UK... but you'll pay 150% for it.

Unless you are resident then you will not qualify for "free treatment" under the NHS system.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Worldplus said:

I believe you have to have a UK address and wait 6 months for treatment on the NHS

Edited by Almer
Correction

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Good luck OP,

I'd just go back and not mention ever being outside the UK.

They probably won't ask if you don't volunteer the information. 

TB can be hard to treat, you might be back there for a long time.

I don't know about the UK, but the Australian government (social security office) knew my mother was out of the country when she visited. I'm pretty sure the UK government know the whereabouts of their citizens overseas. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, blackprince said:

What the OP decides to do is his business. My aim is merely to give him accurate fact-based information to help him make a decision.

First statement is indisputable but ignoring reality is of little help, there is no predictable outcome.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

First statement is indisputable but ignoring reality is of little help, there is no predictable outcome.

I am giving the OP the real rules, and his only real options for treatment, while you are saying:

"If you’re a British expat living overseas permanently, you won’t generally be entitled to access NHS treatment"

How many British expats in Thailand are "permanent residents"?

What does "generally" mean?

Why does paying income tax to fund the NHS get ignored?

Where is Gina Miller when you need her?"

What on earth does Thai Permanent Residence status have to do with this. The issue is UK "ordinarily resident" status, which the OP does not have.

As for "why does paying income tax to fund the NHS get ignored".

This has nothing to do with the OP's current predicament. If it's something you feel strongly about, then write to your MP if you are "ordinarily resident" in the UK. Nothing you can do about it as an expat in Thailand, it's just one of those inconvenient (for you) "realities".

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No, the UK never bothered to track it's citizens.

They have no idea I ever left the country.

Australia was a prison colony so obviously they want to keep track of the inmates. 

I'd got the impression you had been in receipt of a pension (or pensions) from the UK for some time.

If so, the UK govt clearly knows where you are.

Some may think this is off-topic. I attended a comprehensive clinic at the Bangkok public hospital I've used for 30 years. Second visit they refused to see me and told me the clinic was for Thais only. I'm sure this came from just one doctor. But it had a vicious sting. Feeling like my medical options are far more limited now.

15 hours ago, Worldplus said:

No you are not, not only will you be charged but it will be 50% on top. You can get excellent drugs for TB in Thailand my wife had a very resistent strain treated in the end with medicine from the West but it was hellish expensive stuff luckily we had insurance and the hospital arranged to be paid direct from the insurance so that we wouldn't be burdened with up front payments.

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Australia was a prison colony so obviously they want to keep track of the inmates. 

Actually Canada also very much tracks its citizens. They also don't  allow free healthcare for non residents unless you come back and intend to stay. Depending on the province the wait can be 3 months or you can receive it right away if you are in Alberta, but you have to remain in the province for at least 1 tax year.

They will chase you for money otherwise.

Edited by Pravda

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Actually Canada also very much tracks its citizens. They also don't  allow free healthcare for non residents unless you come back and intend to stay. Depending on the province the wait can be 3 months or you can receive it right away if you are in Alberta, but you have to remain in the province for at least 1 tax year.

They will chase you for money otherwise.

And yet a Canadian can cross the US border with no identification.

Which appears at odds with your 'tracking' claim.

39 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I don't know about the UK, but the Australian government (social security office) knew my mother was out of the country when she visited. I'm pretty sure the UK government know the whereabouts of their citizens overseas. 

They do. It's called a 'Biometric Chip'.

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Think again.

The coalition government committed in 2010 to reintroducing exit checks. From 8 April 2015, we will collect information on passengers leaving the UK as we do for those entering.

Exit checks will provide us with vital information that confirms a person’s exit from the UK. While predominately an immigration and data tool, the checks will also improve national security by helping the police and security services track the movements of known or suspected criminals and terrorists, supporting the wider work across government and law enforcement agencies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you accusing people of lying ?

I don't think that anyone is lying , we all have just experienced different things from a NHS that somethings abides by the rules and sometimes doesn't , but no need to accuse anyone of lying .

I am a British citizen and needed a home address before I could register with a G.P.

The NHS are supposed to charge non British residents for NHS treatment , but they dont often bother chasing the payment or even giving a bill because very few people end up paying  

I had a friend who through an allergic reaction to an injection at the dentist in the UK (on holiday from Thailand to see relatives) went into a 2 week coma, he had to have rehab afterwards, cost was over 100K in pounds, he was given the bill but told if he satisfied the NHS requirements he wouldn't have to pay so he rented a flat for 6 months had to show that he had paid council tax and all his utility bills etc after which he was let off paying.

I would think that by not paying they would have you by the short and curlys if you are getting a pension, they could, through a court order, make monthly deductions.

Edited by soalbundy

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They do. It's called a 'Biometric Chip'.

Think again.

Well the police certainly didn't know.

They used to regularly tour my old haunts in the UK looking for me.

And when I last entered/left the UK in 2016 I just waived my passport as I passed.

Nobody scanned it or even opened it.

I think you're confusing a 'statement of intention' with reality.

Government say lots of stuff they never get around to actually implementing.

Or their staff just can't be bothered.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I would think that by not paying they would have you by the short and curlys if you are getting a pension, the could, through a court order, make monthly deductions.

Deductions from UK state pensions are not allowed.

(without your consent)

• Thanks 1

Whilst it clearly would make no difference to the OP (before someone says it) I repeat what I've said before

Never ever completely sever your ties with the UK especially GP lists. Use children/relations address for any correspondance etc

The net has made it ever more easy to stay on a Doctors patient list

Just now, BritManToo said:

Deductions from UK state pensions are not allowed.

(without your consent)

I'm not certain about this but I've heard that this only concerns the pension pot, monthly payments to you are deductible which is why a person entering retirement can't just ignore his debts and say I'm not paying.

1 minute ago, howerde said:

Partly true, the visit to accident and emergency is free of charges, but if you are admitted to hospital then you pay, see last paragraph

That may well be true but to get initial emergency treatment it is free. I'm also sure we will all know of some expat here in Thailand that shot off home when they got diagnosed with the need of a heart by-pass and booked themselves into the nearest hospital on arrival. I know 2 guy in the years I've been here.

• Like 2