Back to UK for health treatment..

Worldplus

4 minutes ago, blackprince said:

"The NHS is a residence-based healthcare system, so British expats aren’t automatically entitled to medical treatment. It’s worth noting that you must have private medical insurance to cover you, as if you don’t you will face a charge at 150% of the NHS national tariff for any care you receive."

But if it's deemed an emergency you will be treated free of charge.

• Like 1

After working in the UK for 50 years and paying national insurance you would think i would be entitled to health care in the UK for the rest of my life but my doctor told me that if i move to Thailand i would not, NHS is a residence based service ie. you have to live here

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

But if it's deemed an emergency you will be treated free of charge.

They won't watch him die true, it's Britain after all old chap.

They'll just bill you 150% when you wake up as per my link twice here, and as per the NHS webpage that I linked for a different OP a few days ago.

That's assuming there's an available space in a ward anyway - everything's a bit crunched up now because of covid, right ????

An impecunious non resident setting out to defraud the NHS will not be top of their list. Especially when he reveals he's knowingly flown around the world with TB - see my earlier post on the latter.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Treatment in A&E departments and at GP surgeries remains free for all.

Please read the link page.     https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

I accept apologies     

Treatment in A&E departments and at GP surgeries remains free for all.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I suggest you read your own link and then learn what "ordinarily resident" means.

The OP is not "ordinarily resident" in the UK as is clear from his first post, and hasn't been for a very long time.

The OP will learn the hard way what "ordinarily resident" means if he falls for the nonsense you are proposing.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pravda said:

It seems you're the only one without a clue here.

No, I don't agree. I knew emergency treatment is free on the NHS. As for the other poster, do you think they are going to let a TB sufferer roam the streets without being treated? No, of course they are not!

• Thanks 1

From the BBC.

"All visitors to the UK and British expats are charged 150% of the cost of non-emergency NHS treatment in order to discourage people travelling to the UK just to use health services - so-called "health tourism"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34685022

TB can be life threatening, but the OP's condition is clearly not an emergency or he wouldn't be posting here and contemplating flying round the world for treatment.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

No, I don't agree. I knew emergency treatment is free on the NHS. As for the other poster, do you think they are going to let a TB sufferer roam the streets without being treated? No, of course they are not!

At last someone with brains. Thanks Chris.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, blackprince said:

"All visitors to the UK and British expats are charged 150% of the cost of non-emergency NHS treatment in order to discourage people travelling to the UK just to use health services - so-called "health tourism"."

You only pointed out what  what concerns your agenda. What about 

Treatment in A&E departments and at GP surgeries remains free for all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

Members of our family and friends work in the struggling UK health service, which now has a waiting list of 6 million +  people who are tax payers and residents in UK, so instead of idiotic comments like yours, have a bit of sense and ask yourself why someone should fly in for treatment, after no contributions for 30 years - No doubt you think the magic money tree applies to health services. Idiotic argument 

I was just giving him the information and the requirements , I wasn't passing judgement .

My comment was based in facts and current requirements , not sure how you can regard them as being idiotic , 

keeping a uk address; family/friend, staying registered with a GP and keeping a uk bank account is a sensible precaution. i'd never cut all ties with the uk, too much to lose. plus keeping up NI contributions which is a no brainer

Edited by it is what it is
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blackprince said:

Given that TB is a lung infection, and Covid is a lung infection, and the legal health and moral issues of flying with TB, and the fact that the OP does not qualify for free NHS care. I'd have thought it's better to get treatment in Thailand ????

"According to the WHO, no active TB case has been identified due to exposure on a commercial aircraft so far. This is because airplanes are built with HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filter systems on board which kill germs when air is circulated in the aircraft. Travellers can rest assured that under normal conditions, cabin air is cleaner than the air in most buildings".

https://www.iamat.org/travel-and-tuberculosis

• Like 1