Thailand criminality on the rise?

gejohesch

24 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

OP, I hope your mrs is okay, my mrs does most withdrawals from my account when she's out food shopping or paying bills, she will always use an atm inside a bank, never outside.

Yes I know you said the bank was shut - that's very unlucky, but these are dodgy times, one can never be too careful, regards to your mrs and I really hope she's okay.

Thanks, as you can imagine she feels rather destroyed. Thais tend to be more emotional than us "cold-blooded farangs". Yes, I told her many times to be careful but things happen....

1 hour ago, thaiman said:

Which bank allows 50k withdrawl in one day?

Bangkok Bank for one, probably all the others too.  Mine limit is B500,000 per day by ATM withdrawals.   The restriction is on the amount that can be taken per withdrawal, B30k.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiman said:

Which bank allows 50k withdrawl in one day?

Mine does but only because I nominated that amount. But only at a withdraw al maximum amount never found  over 30,000 per atm transaction.

Easy to say but a simple way to avoid an extortion event as described would be to deliberately enter  incorrect pin  3 times to void further withdrawal.

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

get the media involved, if you only report to the police nothing could happen, if you have the popular thai talking heads involved things will starts rolling, start from the local reporter they're sitting around waiting for things to happen, your wife's story will be the most exiting thing they have this week, start there and kick it up to national news 

Interesting suggestion but I will leave it to my wife to judge how far she wants to push this.

"kick it up to national news"? I wonder, maybe we should involve the FBI, NATO, the UN, Putin???

A lot of Thailand tourism advert are quite misleading. 

They only smile at you if they want a lot of money from you.

In this Covid times, many people are unemployed and there is food inflation.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Anywhere near what?  You think that ATMs don't hold B50k?

Quite right. I am surprised some people don't know better. 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a Honda 650cc in Bangkok, cost me over 300,000 THB, and had to be paid cash because, amazingly, the big Honda shop (on one of the large avenues out of Lad Phrao) would not accept to be paid online. I had to withdraw all that cash from a Bangkok Bank ATM, in sets of 25,000 each I remember.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Few thoughts myself, wife fine ????  and nothing loss that can't be replaced.

Hard lesson learned, do your banking during banking hours and never use outside or unattached ATMs, if not for safety, then to avoid skimmers.  Why didn't husband accompany wife to ATM, as I would never let wife go alone after hours, and be very vigilant of my surrounding if so doing.

3 folks laying in way, a bit suspect and should be noticeable ... does sound a bit off, and leans toward the comment about 'buffalo scam' run dry and a new strategy.  Hope not for OP's sake.

"3 folks laying in way, a bit suspect and should be noticeable ... does sound a bit off, and leans toward the comment about 'buffalo scam' run dry and a new strategy.  Hope not for OP's sake."  Sunday, not a busy day, relatively few people in the streets, plus the bank is not in a busy street to start with at any time anyway. Sure it was not the right time for my wife to go alone to the ATM.

8 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Quite right. I am surprised some people don't know better. 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a Honda 650cc in Bangkok, cost me over 300,000 THB, and had to be paid cash because, amazingly, the big Honda shop (on one of the large avenues out of Lad Phrao) would not accept to be paid online. I had to withdraw all that cash from a Bangkok Bank ATM, in sets of 25,000 each I remember.

Get a bank draft. Safe. Steal it - go ahead. Useless to anyone but the recipient.