Advice on severe reaction to Astra Zeneca

cven

A friend has been suffering extreme back pain since receiving her Astra Zeneca injection two weeks ago. She vomited for several days but that's not an issue now.

There is quite a lot online about females being more adversley affected by AZ than males and particularly about changes in menstruation and cycles etc.

However, there is nothing about severe back pain, in her case it is in the centre of her back.

I would like to ask whether anyone else has heard of similar experiences and what hospital or doctor would you recommend she attend. She's in Bangkok, she's only 26 and has always been very healthy.

Any help much appreciated.

Some people do get reactions from the vaccines.  I know people that have gotten back and shoulder pain, and/or fever.  But this only lasted for a day. 
Since the symptoms have lasted for a long time a doctor should be consulted.  It can be unrelated also. 
Listen to Sheryl.  She is very knowledgeable in these matters. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

It is highly unlikely that the back pain has anything to do with the vaccination. There is no conceivable mechanism and to me (MD) it seems just a coincidence, however unpleasant.

A friend of mine had almost daily headaches for weeks after the Moderna shot. Also unrelated? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk Z said:

It is highly unlikely that the back pain has anything to do with the vaccination. There is no conceivable mechanism and to me (MD) it seems just a coincidence, however unpleasant.

Maybe so tense about getting jabbed she's pulled a ligament. Can be very painful when connected to the regular movements of the diaphragm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

A friend of mine had almost daily headaches for weeks after the Moderna shot. Also unrelated? 

Headache is a well known side effect from the vaccines, but if it continues after a few days, it's advised be a good idea to go see a doc.

No need to push the panic button.

Personally i had headache and felt seriously fatiqued after my first pfizer, but only fatique after second shot.

Both times the side effects only lasted a dayt, but i allready knew what side effects i could expect, so no panic here.

There is actually a study that implies that people who expect to get side effects, they are in higher risk of actually getting them.

it's called the noncebo effect.

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/519853

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I am absolutely baffled why anyone would come to this site for medical advice, rather than seeking help from a doctor and/or hospital.

Not necessarily for medical advice, but other's experiences. The average doctor probably doesn't know that much about Covid and the vaccines. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Virt said:

Headache is a well known side effect from the vaccines, but if it continues after a few days, it's advised be a good idea to go see a doc.

No need to push the panic button.

Personally i had headache and felt seriously fatiqued after my first pfizer, but only fatique after second shot.

Both times the side effects only lasted a dayt, but i allready knew what side effects i could expect, so no panic here.

There is actually a study that implies that people who expect to get side effects, they are in higher risk of actually getting them.

it's called the noncebo effect.

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/519853

How far apart were your Pfizer shots. CDC says 3 weeks. I got my first shot 2 days ago, so far no side effects. 

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Headache is a known side effect.

So are muscle aches and pains, for a short period (.e. few days after the injection). I had that myself, similar to with dengue fever. But only for about 36 hours right  after the injection.

But what is described here does nto sound like that and is also persisting 2 weeks after vaccination.

There are many possible causes, most of them unrelated to the vaccine, but no point in  speculating. If it is really a severe pain (i.e. not just a pulled muscle type of thing) she needs medical attention and evaluation.

Not unusual. A Thai female friend suffered for a month after her second AZ vaccination. She went back to the vaccinating hospital and they said her condition was not unusual, supplied her with painkillers and told her to take it easy until she felt better. Not very helpful, but she's fine now anyway.

Just now, Thingamabob said:

Not unusual. A Thai female friend suffered for a month after her second AZ vaccination. She went back to the vaccinating hospital and they said her condition was not unusual, supplied her with painkillers and told her to take it easy until she felt better. Not very helpful, but she's fine now anyway.

Did she specifically have severe pain in the mid part of her back?

As this is not a common side effect of AZ. General achiness, fever, head ache, dizziness yes but not this.

OP one of the reasons I am ocncerned is that this can sometimes be due to a pulmonary embolism, and at her age she may be on birth control pills which are a risk factor for that. If she has any shortness of breath, should not delay in going to an ER.

Of course it might also just be muscle spasm, perhaps related to sleeping position, posture, work on a computer etc, combined with  an over-heightened sense of its severity because of all the social media hype around the vaccine and the temporal connection. But we can't assume that.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Not necessarily for medical advice, but other's experiences. The average doctor probably doesn't know that much about Covid and the vaccines. 

Doesn't need any knowledge about the vaccines or COVID to evaluate this symptom, Whether related to the vaccine or not, the pathology will be the same.

But don't see an "average doctor". Certainly not one in a small private clinic or lower tier hospital.

24 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

How far apart were your Pfizer shots. CDC says 3 weeks. I got my first shot 2 days ago, so far no side effects. 

I had second shot 5 weeks after 1st. Got second shot in June.

Now awaits when i can get my booster.

I think I'm able to get it in jan or Feb 2022.

1st Az jab March 2021 left arm 

Developed some pain in my knuckles of my left hand, for a few days the middle two fingers, should I clench my hand, had to push the middle two fingers straight again.

A few days after the jab, a very bad headache for about 24hrs.

The joint pain in the knuckle joints faded away and was zero by about 5 weeks (only a problem for the clutch on my motorcycle really).

2nd Az May 2021

Slight return of the left hand knuckle pain for a few days only. (The nurses at this station had not heard of the joint pain issue, but a bit of a headache was common, though I thought their description of the headache, was perhaps less than my experience).

3rd Jab, Booster, [Last night] Pfizer (&Flu) both in the left arm.

These nurses were aware of a few people having the Joint Pain that I had experienced after the 1st jab back in March.

So far so good, feel slightly more sleepy than normal today, but no other reactions.

If the joint pain I experienced in my left hand, had happened to my back, I could see why it would be an issue. I hope She recovers soon , my Best Wishes.

4th Jab, depends on the rate of cases in the population, unlikely to be before April 22!

Well I had 2 AZ shots.....After first one just fatigue and sore arm for 24 hours.

After second jab I got a severe allergic reaction with face swelling and nausea which subsided gradually over 4 days.

I can only assume it was a reaction to the Vaccine, because I had not eaten or drank anything outside my usual intake prior to the symptoms developing!

13 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Well I had 2 AZ shots.....After first one just fatigue and sore arm for 24 hours.

After second jab I got a severe allergic reaction with face swelling and nausea which subsided gradually over 4 days.

I can only assume it was a reaction to the Vaccine, because I had not eaten or drank anything outside my usual intake prior to the symptoms developing!

It does indeed sound like an allergic reaction.

Do not get this or J&J in future. You might be able to get an mRNA vaccine (Moderna, Pfizer) but discuss first with a doctor.