Guy next to me on plane has COVID, so i have to quarantine?

hi all - i'm planning a group trip in april / may and have heard many news stories about covid negative travelers getting stuck in quarantine because they were near covid positive passengers during transportation (flights and/or van). you can see the richard barrow posting here: https://www.getrevue.co/profile/richardbarrow/issues/the-nightmare-of-testing-positive-848695 and i believe the Stefanie story from the Thaiger a few months ago are well documented examples of someone that was COVID negative forced to quarantine because of close contact with someone testing positive for COVID. 

can anyone find the official government policy on this? i have searched many times but cannot find the relevant official policy. for example, on a plane are persons seated within a 3 meter radius of someone testing positive forced to quarantine or is it a 1 meter radius? the entire plane? what about a group travelling if one of the travelers from the group is covid positive, does the entire group have to quarantine or is it just a select few that were seated next to infected passenger?

trying to bring a sizeable group of 50 people next year but need to understand the official policy first, any help would be appreciated

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik there is no insurance that pays if they put you in quarantine just because somebody who was close to you tested positive.

So the affected persons will have to pay this out of their own pockets.

I guess you are right. I heard there was insurance that would cover quarantine for asymptomatic covid, which is of course different. I came to Thailand twice this year for three months at a time, but I can afford unnecessary hospitalization and had the free time. One has to jump through hoops and there are risks. There is also a risk you'll fall off a motorbike, be drugged by a bar-beer, get scammed, be falsely accused of a crime and fleeced, or written up for a valid Agoda review.

All part of the fun and why this addictive Kingdom can attract SOME tourists even under these onerous conditions. Doubt there will be many actual tourists until the covid madness ends. Coming for "a holiday"?

High Season 2021-2022. Failure to launch. A self fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Which will change a dozen times between now and April. And how does a policy help you plan/mitigate?

Any current "close-contact" policy covers both the arriving aircraft and local ground transportation

Challenging to plan an event of this size, remotely five months hence.

Maybe choose a location which is more reliable?

this is absurd. yes reading official current policy helps. understanding current policy and comparing it to past policy will give us the trajectory of the policy which will help us to better predict where things are going. 

thanks all i understand that i can just pick another country however the group is set on coming to thailand so writing it off immediately without understanding the official is nonsensical

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Afaik there is no insurance that pays if they put you in quarantine just because somebody who was close to you tested positive.

I am no insurance agent and would ask anyone to call and confirm if the insurance covers for Government required Quarantine with no Covid Symptoms or without Positive Covid Test.  The  JAL Covid-19 Cover Assistance policy found Google searching "JAL Covid-19 Cover Assistance" in the "Applicable Service Conditions" section on the "NEW Applicable conditions for cover (JAL Covid-19 Cover Guide) : Departure from July 1, 2021 to January 10, 2022" PDF attachment and provided by some Japan Airlines flight states "Accommodation costs related to Covid-19 Quarantine" If diagnosed with Covid-19 or if suspected of having Covid-19.
On Page 10 (JAL Covid-19 Cover Guide) "Quarantine" is defined as Mandatory individual, involuntary confinement by order or other official directive of a government, public, or regulatory authority, which is intended to stop the spread of a contagious disease to which you or a traveling companion have been exposed, or which you are suspected of being exposed to."

This is for informational purposes and should not be relied upon until confirmed with the issuing agency or providing company.

• Like 1

There is a recent thread already on this. I believe legally the plane crew/passengers should all be quarantined, but the doubt is that the government will actually allow such a media crashing thing to happen. That is what my insurance broker has taken away from their investigation into this possibility. No guarantee, of course. Generally Thai insurance policies will only cover you personally testing positive (even if contracted after boarding) , I'm not sure whether the third party cover you are asking for exists, here or anywhere. 

Edited by Speedhump
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 8:44 AM, jackdd said:

On my policy, Item  3 was an "Overseas Quarantine Allowance"  at $150/day for up to 14 consecutive days.

My 15 day quarantine booking was $1132.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 8:35 AM, fhfuentes said:

have heard many news stories about covid negative travelers getting stuck in quarantine because they were near covid positive passengers during transportation

Where have you heard many stories? I have just heard a few out of probably thousands of travelers. Of cause the few that is affected will end up in media while all that has no problem will not.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 8:44 AM, jackdd said:

and what if they can't afford it? If it is a tourist with a return ticket they could send them straight back home. Supposing it is someone who is returning and lives here, maybe with a family relying on him financially, and only has his 40.000Bt per month from his own country.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

It has been reported in the press that the official ruling is that people two rows in front to two rows behind have to be quarantined.  However, the government is considering reducing this.

Link ???

Because... IF one person tests positive, that means 3 people in front, 3 people behind, 2 people to the left and 2 to the right (variable depending on seat allocation) would be forced into quarantine... 

Thus: with about 60 or so people testing positive so far for Test & Go arrivals we are looking at an additional 600 people being forced into quarantine.... 

There would definitely be plenty of stories and news articles about this - yet there has not been so much of a sniff other than the two guys sharing a van (see my comment in the post above - they were travelling together). 

Thus: the only logical conclusion is that those in seats nearby are not quarantined. 

Perhaps someone in a position of decision making power realises how poor the optics would be if this were to happen. However, I’m wondering why this has not been made publicly clear to provide travellers with additional confidence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Don't!

Hardly the time to be planning group trips.

New SA vaccine resistant variant could bring a 4th/5th wave by then. 

You can't plan 5mths ahead with unvaccinated mutations occuring around the world!

Yes, stay behind the sofa with your tin foil hat on. Even if we we survive Covid, by 2030 Bangkok could be under water if we don't "solve" global warming.

So best to put your life on hold indefinitely and do not plan anything.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Link not permitted by forum rules.

I believe you are wrong. Links seams to be allowed in most cases. Below is from the forum rules.

13) You will not post links to other Thailand or ASEAN based forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to ASEANNOW.com or its sponsors.

15) Any links posted must lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or direct to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed. No shortened version urls or affiliate links permitted.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.