Trapped in Thailand

Troy Tempest

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

I must say that I feel trapped now as with all the Health Insurance restrictions (I am 64) and potential costs, whilst it would be relatively easy to go back to the UK now, it might prove difficult or even impossible for me to return to Thailand in the future!

I have a great home, Thai girlfriend for the last 11 years, a lovely cat here and live in a beautiful location right on the beach!

You should have started buying health insurance here 11 years ago.  Even at 64 you can get a policy from Pacific cross for less than 60,000 baht a year (5000 a month) for 5 Million baht coverage

Seems you have money, why would you not get health insurance in country? 

Edited by Skallywag
  • Sad 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:47 AM, BritManToo said:

Because Thai insurance is not worth the paper it's written on.

I had one when I first arrived, I had an accident, they didn't pay.

(from the green bank)

Same with all health insurance.

You pay, and pay.

Do you ever get what you paid for?

• Like 2

Troy Tempest- Your chances at 64 are better than mine. Insurance is available up to 75 with some companies. But for me at 88, I think the chances of being able to return to my family and home after 34 years here in Thailand are non existent, should I leave to visit my children and grandchildren scattered around the world.☹️

• Sad 6

On 11/25/2021 at 9:24 AM, tonray said:

Go and come back with a 30 day visa exempt and you need to buy 30 days of health insurance (as it stands now). Maybe in July nothing. Before your 30 days is up apply for an O Visa conversion (90 days) and then before that expires...your standard annual retirement extension (which I assume you are already familiar with).....30 day policy is all you need.

ok if he still has the 800k in the bank otherwise a possible drawn out affair with an agent  ? Also a return flight ticket UK to Thailand  to UK ?

9 minutes ago, superal said:

ok if he still has the 800k in the bank otherwise a possible drawn out affair with an agent  ? Also a return flight ticket UK to Thailand  to UK ?

I don't see any issues with using the 800K. I plan to do the same when my current OA extension runs out next October. Come back in with an exempt and so on and so forth.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:56 AM, tonray said:

Taking you on for 30 days will not be an issue....simply listed as pre-existing and non-covered conditions on your policy.

Retirees returning to Thailand are required to have a covid cover insurance from the day you re-enter up to the date of renewal of your retirement extension. 30 days is not an option unless your return date is within the extension renewal date. For many they may need 3 months, 6 month or even up to one year insurance coverage. Please read the rule carefully 

16 minutes ago, kennw said:

Retirees returning to Thailand are required to have a covid cover insurance from the day you re-enter up to the date of renewal of your retirement extension. 30 days is not an option unless your return date is within the extension renewal date. For many they may need 3 months, 6 month or even up to one year insurance coverage. Please read the rule carefully 

I bought the 37 days needed for this trip and still got stamped in right up until expiry of my Non-O retirement extension in May 2022.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 1:33 PM, Troy Tempest said:

See Britman's Comment above.

I used to travel back to the UK every year for a few months (Before Covid) and I am wealthy enough to self-insure for most things!

However, I did take out Health insurance recently because of the covid situation with a company I cannot mention because of the defamation laws here......

But, it was with a "Broker" who's name rhymes with the name of a large Black Cat and the Insurance Company name would rhyme with an alternative name for a "Dried Plum"! ......I am sure you will guess who I am talking about (even if you don't do crosswords)?

But, on September 9th I suffered severe chest pain and thought I may be having a heart attack so I went to the nearest Hospital (which is one of the larger Private Hospital Groups) in Thailand and after many tests spent the night "Wired-Up" in ICU....

Next morning I was feeling okay so I discharged myself against their advice/wishes and to date (fingers crossed) have remained well.

The bill was 67,960 THB

I am still awaiting compensation despite numerous calls and emails to both the Broker and The Insurance Company!

Conclusion: Never buy Health Insurance from a Thai Company!

I welcome your replies now! :wai::thumbsup:

I have health insurance with a Thai company (could be same) went in for operation, stayed 6 nights before I checked out of the hospital, I got an itemized bill, how much they pay/I pay, paid, easy peasy

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 6:33 AM, Troy Tempest said:

See Britman's Comment above.

I used to travel back to the UK every year for a few months (Before Covid) and I am wealthy enough to self-insure for most things!

However, I did take out Health insurance recently because of the covid situation with a company I cannot mention because of the defamation laws here......

But, it was with a "Broker" who's name rhymes with the name of a large Black Cat and the Insurance Company name would rhyme with an alternative name for a "Dried Plum"! ......I am sure you will guess who I am talking about (even if you don't do crosswords)?

But, on September 9th I suffered severe chest pain and thought I may be having a heart attack so I went to the nearest Hospital (which is one of the larger Private Hospital Groups) in Thailand and after many tests spent the night "Wired-Up" in ICU....

Next morning I was feeling okay so I discharged myself against their advice/wishes and to date (fingers crossed) have remained well.

The bill was 67,960 THB

I am still awaiting compensation despite numerous calls and emails to both the Broker and The Insurance Company!

Conclusion: Never buy Health Insurance from a Thai Company!

I welcome your replies now! :wai::thumbsup:

Are you sure?

Okay.....my guess it that you ignored the part of the policy that tells you to inform them before you check yourself into a hospital as an in-patient.

Looks like you checked yourself in on a whim and you checked yourself out in the same manner.

Every medical insurance policy I have utilised, states that you should contact them if the bill is likely to be over a certain amount. I am guessing that your bill is above that certain amount.

What happens is that you contact them and they, with your permission, liaise with the relevant department at the hospital. If all okay; they provide guarantee for your bill. 

The fact that you paid the bill yourself before leaving and again left without being discharged by the hospital, tells me that you likely did not do any of the things requested for your claim to be valid and now you are paying for your 'independent' behaviour.

Of course I am not in possession of all of the facts; so it's just an educated guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Same with all health insurance.

You pay, and pay.

Do you ever get what you paid for?

Yes. I cannot say that I have recouped all of my premiums over the years; maybe yes, maybe no. But they have always paid up and don't go the cheap route either.

Even now I am receiving treatment at the most expensive hospital around here; paid for directly through having an insurance policy.

I could afford to pay for myself; but this treatment alone exceeds the cost of the policy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kennw said:

When you come in on a visa exempt as we are discussing here that would mean 30 days coverrage only. Please read carefully

• Like 2

I don't understand the hate for Thai insurance companies. I'm 56 and have paying for a Thai insurance policy for over 11 years for 5 million baht health inpatient coverage, and also limited outpatient coverage. I've made several claims over the years for inpatient services, many of which were agreed and settled by the insurance company even before the hospital did the requisite weight and heart rate test. They even compensate me for salary lost due to time spent in the hospital, which is nil because I'm self employed but, still, it's a nice gesture. Never once has the insurance company even grumbled about not paying out. Perhaps they are biding their time until I make a huge claim, but hopefully I will never find out.

My understanding is that health insurance costs more the later in life you begin the coverage. If you retired at 46 I assume you still have the funds to pay for insurance, even if it's more costly for you. Not everyone has had bad experiences with Thai insurance and for peace of mind, and visa security, you should probably just get it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2