Wise Gets It Wrong Again!

I have made regular transfers throughout 2021 using Wise to transfer money to my Bank in Thailand which is Bangkok Bank.   January to September inclusive, there was a seemless transfer and all was well.  However, in October, Wise sent it to one of its other partner banks, the Kasikorn, who then did a SMMT transfer to Bangkok Bank, that was on 8 October.   I rang Wise to discuss the matter and Imight have been better advised to have talked to a 'brickwall'.    Unable to resolve the matter, I decided to make a further transfer on 29 October, but before making the transfer I called Wise and asked them to ensure that the new transfer was maede in accordnace with my instructions in that it was required for my long term stay in Thailand.  No problem was the reply.    Regretfully, the transfer was yet again made to Kasikorn who then effected an SMMT.

I wrote a formal complaint to Wise, and having just received their reply, seems their is nothing they can or maybe want, to do about it, and suggested I make contact with both banks, Bangkok and Kasikorn, to resolve the problem.

Bangkok Bank say 'sorry cannot help' and Kasikorn also say that and added that as I do not have an account with them, they are unable to trace the two transfers.  

I made the November transfer on 13 November and it was an FTT to Bangkok Bank.

Any suggestions how I might resolve the October issues.

My contacts with Bangkok and Kasikorn Banks were made at local level and NOT at their respective HQs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All I can contribute:

all transfers done to Bangkok Bank account, specified at WISE as expense for long term stay.

Always shown as international transfer at Bangkok Bank (FTT).

A separate topic is whether immigration will accept the transfer statements (downloadable PDF) from WISE as proof of international transfer.

• Like 1

As those of us who suffered through through the 35 page thread on this topic can attest, there are two key pieces of information that are needed: 1. did you select "funds for long-term stay" as the reason?, and 2. have you instructed Wise to "tag" your account to Bangkok Bank?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexilis said:

As those of us who suffered through through the 35 page thread on this topic can attest, there are two key pieces of information that are needed: 1. did you select "funds for long-term stay" as the reason?, and 2. have you instructed Wise to "tag" your account to Bangkok Bank?

Funds for long-term stay is what currently does not work - you must have your Bangkok Bank account tagged to use Bangkok Bank transfer account.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

could WISE be "under review" with calling "international transfer" what is actually a "local transfer"?

There seems to be a lot of changes last October for international transfers and international banking, and compliance at WISE are probably under pressure to change things before they are accused of "mislabeling" transfers for compliance reasons.

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I always wonder why people use Wise. Is it for saving a few THB?

Otherwise just transfer from the bank of your home country directly and never have a problem.

it's usually very fast, sometimes a few seconds, and the exchange rate is known before the transfer, and it's also cheap

I usually use my credit card,

WISE is a smart business, they have identified 3 problems that "expats" were facing and provided the answer to them,

even though it wasn't probably not easy as a business to put in place with all the compliance burden

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

In everything there is the exception.  And sympathies to all who have problems in any endeavor in this life.

However, Wise has worked flawlessly for me since the big dust up couple years back.  I can not give a higher recommendation.

YMMV

you don't seem aware of the problem, may impact you soon

8 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

it's usually very fast, sometimes a few seconds, and the exchange rate is known before the transfer, and it's also cheap

I usually use my credit card,

WISE is a smart business, they have identified 3 problems that "expats" were facing and provided the answer to them,

even though it wasn't probably not easy as a business to put in place with all the compliance burden

Wise transfers are great but another option they provide is a Master Card debit card.  I can load my account with USD and their card will make transaction in any local currency while never charge fees, and no ATM fees (though the ATM owner will always take a nip).  It is so cool to make airport purchases for example and not be left with pocket full of local currency in change I will never use.  The card will operate as debit card or credit card so no pin required and can be used for internet purchases.

I like the transfers but I have really been impressed with the debit card.

YMMV

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Wise is significantly easier than using the banks, either from my UK or Singapore accounts. Wise tells me exactly how much I will get. Using the banks I'm invariable at the mercy of 'intermediary' bank charges that can appear weeks after the event, and then you never exactly know what exchange rate you'll get when the money arrives.

I don't need foreign transaction tagging, I just send money to cover living costs, so Wise is never an issue and just so, so convenient. 

Might be different in your country.

My German bank takes 0.23 percent, no further fees from BKK Bank and the exchange rate is the noon fixing of the same day. Transfer takes one day to be booked in may Thai account.

• Like 1

I have just come off the phone after speaking with a very helpful lady at Wise and I am better informed now.

Seems that at some point Wise changed the manner in which transfers were made.   Prior to the change the client sent GBP to their (Wise) UK Account and they (Wise) transferred the money from the UK to the clients Thai bank.   However, the current manner is that we still send GBP to them but the Thai Baht we received comes from one of their partner banks in Thailand.   Apparently they will aways try to take money from the Bangkok Bank but sometimes that may not be possible and that being the case, it is a local transfer.  Tagging an account 'Bangkok Bank' will not necessarily mean that the money will come from that bank.

Simple answer is don't risk it and have 400K THB in the bank for the rquired time.  Is it 2 or 3 months,, I'm not sure.

34 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Might be different in your country.

My German bank takes 0.23 percent, no further fees from BKK Bank and the exchange rate is the noon fixing of the same day. Transfer takes one day to be booked in may Thai account.

Sounds unlikely.

More like BKB deduct 500bht without telling you and you haven't noticed.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry but that is flat out wrong - Transferwise (now Wise) has been using local currency accounts for years.  Tagging will in almost all situations result in using Bangkok Bank payment channel (but of course is not guaranteed).  

Most of us are using for retirement extensions which is 400k in bank all year and 800k required for 5 months.  

There is no risk - you can still prove funds came from outside Thailand (as in 3 posts above or even Wise PDF) - but may require extra work so understand some will indeed use bank account rather than face that potential issue.  

Whatever you say but don't shoot the messenger!

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds unlikely.

More like BKB deduct 500bht without telling you and you haven't noticed.

Might be. I checked the booked amount a couple of times with the fixing rate of the day and it was ok. But that was many years ago. If they charged now, I wouldn't notice, I guess.

For me SWIFT is comfortable. I can order the transfer by a phone call. But Wise - if it works -  may be an option for those in other countries (GB?) having problems with SWIFT.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Whatever you say but don't shoot the messenger!

No shots fired.  ????  But often those we talk with only have part of the story and just as often two will have three stories.   For a time 'long stay in Thailand' was working to route money but now seems only tag of destination account seems to reliably result it FTT.

• Like 1