Switch passports if you have a volunteer visa?

This suggestion was made in another thread. People said that the volunteer visa organization was busted and now immigration is blacklisting everyone they see with a volunteer visa stamp from that organization. But one work around is to get a new visa (like a covid visa), get a new passport, and transfer the non-volunteer visa to the new passport: 

Anyone able to comment on whether this will indeed work? And whether the volunteer visa is indeed causing a blacklist?

• Confused 3

How is moving a non valid visa to a new passport "getting around" the problem.

If this does turn out to be true, then I imagine that the only possible work around would be to leave Thailand, get a new passport in your home country, then re-enter on a valid visa/visa exempt stamp.

• Like 2

New pp won't help.

The one report that I read where someone had a warning that it might be difficult to return after Extension volunteering (agent) etc......

It seemed that other info was skipped over. Sounded like that guy intended to exit and bounce back after a long stay (15 months +) and then return  on visa exempt entry.

That's always been an issue and new pp won't help..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It seemed that other info was skipped over. Sounded like that guy intended to exit and bounce back after a long stay (15 months +) and then return  on visa exempt entry.

When has that been an issue?

Many people have left after a long stay here and re-entered the country to start all over again.

When entering the country with a new passport the only thing they would look for is being banned from entering the country or perhaps a arrest warrant.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JayClay said:

How is moving a non valid visa to a new passport "getting around" the problem.

I assume that they think that getting a new passport with just the covid stamp in will garner more success in getting a new visa or extension in the future, while having the vol stamp will make things difficult or perhaps impossible.  I further assume that they believe that the covid stamp although obtained through an agent will less problematic.

How true this would turn out to be, I don't know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

Ah okay. I missed the part about the covid extension, as the OP then went on to suggest moving the volunteer visa to the new passport.

The opposite actually:

get a new visa (like a covid visa), get a new passport, and transfer the non-volunteer visa to the new passport: 

Just a point of information. If the stay in Thailand has been

1. Tourist entry (whether with a tourist visa or visa exempt)
  2. Volunteer visa from immigration to "convert" to a Non Immigrant entry
  3. Extension of permission to stay based on being a volunteer
  4. Covid extension
  5. New passport and transfer of stamps

then I believe the transferred stamps will contain an annotation about the volunteer visa which is still the underlying basis for the Non Immigrant status. The annotation about the volunteer visa will not have all the data from the original passport, but would likely be enough to attract the attention of an alert immigration official who wanted to verify whether you have benefited from the improperly issued visa and extension.

• Like 1

The visa was fraudulently obtained. That is something immigration takes very serious. One can be prosecuted for that and see the inside of a Thai jail. A couple of years ago there was the story of a teacher who had all the required documents in his home country. He decided to take the easy route and got fake ones from  Khao San road. During a raid the police found a list of names at the shop he got the fake documents from. Despite him actually having the required qualifications the judge jailed him for using fake documents. Not long, but he was also expelled and blacklisted. 

If immigration blacklists someone than one can not enter, regardless of a new visa or new passport. In such case it will be better to plan for a future in another country. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Preacher said:

The visa was fraudulently obtained. That is something immigration takes very serious. One can be prosecuted for that and see the inside of a Thai jail. A couple of years ago there was the story of a teacher who had all the required documents in his home country. He decided to take the easy route and got fake ones from  Khao San road.

That is considerably different that what is being discussed in this topic.

For all intents and purposes it will appear to be a legitimate extension and even the supporting documents on file will appear legitimate if a investigation was done.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is considerably different that what is being discussed in this topic.

For all intents and purposes it will appear to be a legitimate extension and even the supporting documents on file will appear legitimate if a investigation was done.

The volunteer visa organization was busted and people with a stamp from that organization are blacklisted. Immigration has the names. I am afraid nothing will look legitimate to immigration.

2 minutes ago, Preacher said:

The volunteer visa organization was busted and people with a stamp from that organization are blacklisted. Immigration has the names. I am afraid nothing will look legitimate to immigration.

Immigration did issue the visas in question .

Will they be making enquiries and investigating themselves as to how and why the visas were issued by themselves ?

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Immigration did issue the visas in question .

Will they be making enquiries and investigating themselves as to how and why the visas were issued by themselves ?

Apparently they already did: they busted the organization and found that the organization is in the wrong by providing false documents/statements.

3 minutes ago, Preacher said:

Read the opening post. There the claim is made to which I replied.

That just seems to be a rumour , someone just thought that was what happened . 

Its quite likely that he was refused entry because immigration thought that he wasnt coming to Thailand as a tourist or maybe that wanted to fill their immigration cells up with 800 Baht per night people ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Preacher said:

That is more than likely false info. If the extension or visa application was accepted and processed by immigration they would not punish the person it was issued to.

If the stamps were fake and it was not done by immigration it would be a different story.

I replied to the part of you post that mentioned Khao San road.

• Like 2