70% voter turnout in Thailand’s first sub-district elections in eight years

webfact

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXYm9H9e0LxDWmyjDKCL2kBfgVrAbX5SQYSlnK.jpg

About 70% of eligible voters went to the polls on Sunday to cast their ballots in Thailand’s first nationwide Tambon (sub-district) Administrative Organization (TAO) elections in eight years, according to Deputy Secretary-General of the Election Commission’s (EC) Office Kittipong Boriboon.

He said the turnout is in line with the EC’s target and the voting at more than 60,000 polling units was orderly, with election violations recorded at less than 1%.

He noted that voter turnout in smaller TAOs was higher than in larger ones, some of which had a turnout of under 50%.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/70-voter-turnout-in-thailands-first-sub-district-elections-in-eight-years/

Logo-top-.png

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I do hope they voted wisely.

Wife said she was going out to vote yesterday, came back waiving 500 baht at me, I said where did you get that, she said in Thailand they pay you to vote (corruption), I said you didn't, of course not darling, I just pretend to vote and collect the cash.

How weird is that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kotsak said:

She was robbed ???? People being ferried from Bangkok by buses got 5 grand.. 

Somethings better than nothing, as for me, would have taken nothing and voted upside down, not what the boxes want, if that's the way they also do things here.

30 minutes ago, kotsak said:

She was robbed ???? People being ferried from Bangkok by buses got 5 grand.. 

Really? Excuse me if I don't believe you, but why would people be ferried from Bangkok to where just to vote?

If there are 50 people on 1 bus that comes to 250,000 baht a time. At 500 baht a pop you can get 10 times the voters.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Really? Excuse me if I don't believe you, but why would people be ferried from Bangkok to where just to vote?

If there are 50 people on 1 bus that comes to 250,000 baht a time. At 500 baht a pop you can get 10 times the voters.

Nephew was offered 1,500 to return. That is the highest amount I've heard of. Most seem to have been about 500. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wife said she was going out to vote yesterday, came back waiving 500 baht at me, I said where did you get that, she said in Thailand they pay you to vote (corruption), I said you didn't, of course not darling, I just pretend to vote and collect the cash.

How weird is that.

I have got used to it...... hear of it every election. 

People in rural Thailand are certainly not going to turn down 500 baht, and from what I hear there is no way they con confirm who you vote for anyhow. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I don't believe what you say. Which village? Who paying whom for which party?

My GF headed home to vote in a village near Prakhon Chai. Everyone in her family (2 brothers and mother) got 400 THB.

Kiniau! I remember times when voters were better payed ????

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 2:23 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

I don't believe what you say. Which village? Who paying whom for which party?

Ha ha ha, read the other posts and you will see the scale of the problem. 

The answer to your question, all villages all party.

Edited by Almer
Spelling

Yup, wife says the pay out here was around 400 baht also. Doesn't take much when everyone's been hurting, and as been said, the foreign ATMs they were once used to haven't been around.

There were also plenty of bottles of lao khao being handed out, and packs of M-150 to aid with the remaining rice harvest. Plenty of tuned up, staggering Thai farmers after happily unloading those bales and casting their votes.

There's also the issue of getting everyone to return to their home provinces to vote. They likely wouldn't do it without some incentive. When we went into town on election day there was a lot more traffic, and a lot more good looking women in the market, who I imagine had since been lured away for the lucrative careers available to such women. Some professional, office types, other professionals tattooed in tight dresses.