Honda Wave Tires: Suggestions?

Hey all, 

I bought my 125cc Honda Wave in 2019 and the stock tires look like they could use a change. I have almost 14,000km on them. I ride mostly on paved roads and occasionally do some light dirt roads while exploring. 

My questions are: 

1. What tires would you recommend for my upcoming change?
  2. Can dealers order tires for me or do I need to take in my own? 
  3. Approximate prices on any tire suggestions offered would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Edited by davidupatterson

29 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

occasionally do some light dirt roads while exploring. 

My questions are: 

1. What tires would you recommend for my upcoming change?
  2. Can dealers order tires for me or do I need to 
  3. Approximate prices on any

Chaoyang tyre made in Thailand from Lazada and get any small bike shop to change for you. 

I buy my tires locally. If the people who live near you are not patronized, they will be gone, and this is a blow to everyone who lives here.

Online sales benefit non local dealers.

That being said, I have had very good experience with Pirelli Angel CiTy

Have them on 2 of my bikes now, and will keep on replacing with same.

Excellent grip wet and dry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seedy said:

I buy my tires locally. If the people who live near you are not patronized, they will be gone, and this is a blow to everyone who lives here.

Online sales benefit non local dealers.

That being said, I have had very good experience with Pirelli Angel CiTy

Have them on 2 of my bikes now, and will keep on replacing with same.

Excellent grip wet and dry.

Yes, thank you, I read this earlier and I was racking my brains on what tyres I had bought in the past on recommendation of this thread. I was sure it was Pirelli.

The wife bought a second hand wave and living in the south, the rainy season drags on forever and I found the irc tyres got hard over time and slippery.

The pirellis were expensive, apart from the handling, the time and money we saved by not constantly mending punctures was really significant, maybe that's no different in any new tyres, but was something we would often comment upon.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Look at Lazada for prices. I like my Honda Click stock tyres IRC so I'm aiming to buy the same but garages want to sell you other ones. As a guestimate for you price is a approx 700 a tyre

I have a Yamaha, but it's the same for Honda: look at your tyres that  you have now and command the same  on Lazada : tyre 700 bahts about , motorcycle store installs it for 100 bahts 

don't go to a Honda shop, tyres are surely expensive

my local shop will not go : they have work every day , always full 

I had an Honda wave before and still a Spooky: many punctures all the time

my Yamaha n max 155 , never any puncture , tyres are full, puncture impossible !

Edited by Aforek

49 minutes ago, seedy said:

They are not the cheapest, but I look at it this way ...

All that is keeping me upright and on the road is those 2 small contact patches. Makes sense to me to ensure they are the highest quality I can find.

Don't want to be laying in a hospital bed and congratulating myself on saving a few hundred baht

I'm not sure it's the tyres, it's riding skill mainly, my stock tyres have been 100% ok, i doubt I'd notice any difference with Pirellis  but that doesn't stop iMoto trying to sell them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Look at Lazada for prices. I like my Honda Click stock tyres IRC so I'm aiming to buy the same but garages want to sell you other ones. As a guestimate for you price is a approx 700 a tyre

The local guy that does scoot tyres and wave tyres put Deestone on now there're a reasonable price.

• Like 1

I also use Pirelli Angel CT on my Honda Wave, no complaints.

If you buy them as tube type (your bike uses tubes anyway, so no point in buying the more expensive tubeless type), they cost less than 1k for the pair.

Here for example 900 for the pair: https://shopee.co.th/-ยางปี21-PIRELLI-ANGEL-CITY-2.50-17-2.75-17-ขอบ17-ยางมอเตอร์ไซค์แบบใช้ยางใน-i.166059424.7264334444

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I quote  you again ; I didn't see the brand, but I have also IRC tyres , 700 bahts, 25000-26000 kms without need to change them : Lazada

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor ...

>> Michelin City Grip Pro <<

Favored by busy mocy-taxi men.

Best on wet.

Puncture resistant.

Love you long time.

~1000baht the pair online,

& yea, buy local.

[iMoto if Pattaya]

If you have cast wheels,

convert to tubeless 'd be smart.

Holds air mo bedda.

Lighter.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I quote  you again ; I didn't see the brand, but I have also IRC tyres , 700 bahts, 25000-26000 kms without need to change them : Lazada

i toyed with buying from Lazada but for a circ 200 baht saving for the tyres i want I can't be bothered

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll check on Deestone, i need to change my tyres soon

I find Dunlop a good tyre they are doing a lot of different size tyres for smaller bikes now,  if you in big town worth a look if the tyre shop stocks them. 

57 minutes ago, papa al said:

Do yourself a favor ...

>> Michelin City Grip Pro <<

Favored by busy mocy-taxi men.

Best on wet.

Puncture resistant.

Love you long time.

~1000baht the pair online,

& yea, buy local.

[iMoto if Pattaya]

If you have cast wheels,

convert to tubeless 'd be smart.

Holds air mo bedda.

Lighter.

Where in Pattaya sell them? iMoto were just trying to flog Pirelli, 2nd choice an unknown guff Duro

Edited by scubascuba3

46 minutes ago, davidupatterson said:

Thanks, everyone! Lots of good thoughts/information here.

I'm in Chiang Mai - anyone have a recommended dealer/mechanic with regular tire stock?

I would be happy to pay a little more for a tire that will last a little longer/be a little grippier.

I use - https://www.facebook.com/CMSsuperbike

This is the Pirelli dealer - but prices similar

https://www.facebook.com/Piston.Shop/

Edited by seedy

I got the biggest tyres I could get for my wave for better grip and slightly softer ride. Not a big difference over stock size and you are limited by the width of the swinging arm as to how big you can go.

Just buy locally to help local business. Where I buy mine they fit them for free.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

With a different valve and fitting a tubeless tyres. ??

The bead on a tube type rim together with a tubeless tire isn't airtight.

More importantly, the tubeless tire's bead will probably not seat properly and seal on the tube-type wheel's rim. They're not made for each other, after all. In short, it probably won't work and it may be unsafe to try.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/tubed-vs-tubeless-tires-all-you-need-to-know

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The bead on a tube type rim together with a tubeless tire isn't airtight.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/tubed-vs-tubeless-tires-all-you-need-to-know

Yeah I assume a tyre fitting place would know whether the cast rims on your bike could take tubeless. 

On my Airblade scoot I would never bother. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I assume a tyre fitting place would know whether the cast rims on your bike could take tubeless. 

Right.

It would work just fine.

Just drill out the hole and push in a plug-valve.

Rim profiles are close enough.

Tire bead will seat okay.

Edited by papa al