Prices of Land in Issan

3 hours ago, stigar said:

I paid total 40K for 14 rais.It was cheap because my exwife bougth it from her grandfather.

If it was Sor Por Kor land, which I think it was/is, then it cannot be bought only inherited. You need to check to see if you got conned.

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

So they build girlfriend/wife a house rather than rent, who cares whose land it is on if built with permission.

Mother in law gave my wife the land our modest home is built on

Sor Por Kor land cannot be given away. The name title, on the paper, can only be changed upon death of the person named. Many a farang get conned by their teelaks/wives as to the status of the land title. IE will tell you it's Chanote when in fact it isn't and pocket the difference. Obviously the farang paid for chanote but got Sor Por Kor. Simple way to find out is to ask a Thai to interpret the contents of the papers notification in the top right hand corner of the land paper and google the result.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Sor Por Kor land cannot be given away. The name title, on the paper, can only be changed upon death of the person named. Many a farang get conned by their teelaks/wives as to the status of the land title. IE will tell you it's Chanote when in fact it isn't and pocket the difference. Obviously the farang paid for chanote but got Sor Por Kor. Simple way to find out is to ask a Thai to interpret the contents of the papers notification in the top right hand corner of the land paper.

I think what you say in general is true but there are many people, Thais and foreigners who have built homes on such land and although in principle a risk, no one has heard of anyone who has been asked to knock it down as a result. In fact, in many of the villages are sois full of properties that do not have Chanotes and the new building still continues. 

Currently there seems to be some kind of program where people are able to upgrade their land to Chanote  status and there have been queues of villagers turning up to meet the local chief or another official to submit their paperwork to progress to the next phase. Obviously this may not be the policy everywhere and may not come to fruition, but the locals seem optimistic. 

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Currently there seems to be some kind of program where people are able to upgrade their land to Chanote  status and there have been queues of villagers turning up to meet the local chief or another official to submit their paperwork to progress to the next phase. Obviously this may not be the policy everywhere and may not come to fruition, but the locals seem optimistic. 

I agree with the paragraph above this but to upgrade ones land to chanote title is like waiting to win the lottery. Chance of getting it are remote. Thais know this and are prepared to pay backhanders/tea money to obtain it. But it's just another scam in the life of a Thai. It ain't gonna happen.

Of course the locals are optimistic. We all want to win the lottery.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I think what you say in general is true but there are many people, Thais and foreigners who have built homes on such land and although in principle a risk, no one has heard of anyone who has been asked to knock it down as a result. In fact, in many of the villages are sois full of properties that do not have Chanotes and the new building still continues. 

Yes our house block in the village would be in this category. The village is designated as 5 so everyone is in the same boat, not a chanote between us. I did enquire at the land office but all I got was a "think too much" her house so I do not care much anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sherwood said:

I do not care much anyway.

But you will care when someone comes knocking on your door saying 'this is my land. Get off.' If you ain't got the right documents then it's court proceedings and a money loss for you. Either way, you lose.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Yes our house block in the village would be in this category. The village is designated as 5 so everyone is in the same boat, not a chanote between us. I did enquire at the land office but all I got was a "think too much" her house so I do not care much anyway.

Yes there is a general dismissal of any concerns about the type of paperwork one has when building homes. I’m guessing the reason they all want Chanotes is to sell on at a huge profit. 

A Thai lady I am aware of has just sold 10 rai of land around a lake, 6 of which has Chanote,  for reportedly 7 million baht. The buyers are from Bangkok and are already digging out to build a large hotel. She, in the meantime, bought a non Chanote one rai plot for 300,000 from a family member. 
I say reportedly as we all know they can tell a porkie or two. 

It seems the same wealthy family and friends of, are looking to buy a lot more in what they see as prime land and investment opportunities and obviously see a market in the future for people retreating to Isaan. I think one result of Covid is that more people with money may be looking to get away from the big cities and either build second homes or move away from the areas that got the worst covid hits. 

Good luck to her, and her family. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

But you will care when someone comes knocking on your door saying 'this is my land. Get off.' If you ain't got the right documents then it's court proceedings and a money loss for you. Either way.

No I will just walk. Mate we have the blue book and it was Mums land to start with, you have your problems I have mine but really life here is simple so long as you do not think too much.  Now if the Govt decides to get into the land caper then yer, thats a whole new ball game. Lets hope that these stupid powers that be stay around for awhile, 55555

• Like 1

No understand.

Mate if the Govt wants to sell you Sor bor core land which was granted to poor families then yes there would be major problems, civil unrest for sure. I am not an expert in the Thai land title system but I studied Land economics in Australia for many years and I think the Law of ownership here is fairly solid. Oh but not when it comes to beach front and National Parks. Name your poison. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Mate if the Govt wants to sell you Sor bor core land which was granted to poor families then yes there would be major problems

Thai government does not SELL Sor Por Kor land. It really has no way of using its position to sell land. And when it does allocate land to poor people the first thing those poor people do is sell off what they've been given. And the cycle begins again.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Means nothing. It only registers the Thais living at the address registered in it.

Well no actually. What the Blue states is the actual block number allotted for a dwelling approved by the Tambon, and the the residents thereof. Slate me if I am wrong but that is how I perceive things. And of course I, being a foreigner am not included in said Tabian Bahn.  

4 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Well no actually. What the Blue states is the actual block number allotted for a dwelling approved by the Tambon, and the the residents thereof.

We're going around in circles mate. It's more or less what I stated.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thai government does not SELL Sor Por Por Kor land. It really has no way of using its position to sell land. And when it does allocate land to poor people the first thing those poor people do is sell off what they've been given. And the cycle begins again.

Ok that land was given as a grant, what I meant to say was that if the Government ever wanted to take that land away by charging the recipients or otherwise taxing the people then yes there would be strife. Anyway back to the OP 200000 baht for 5 rai, with water on about 1/4 rai, good size dam. My house block  1/4 rai with power and water 100000 and I had to demolish the old house that was built on the block. 

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If it was Sor Por Kor land, which I think it was/is, then it cannot be bought only inherited. You need to check to see if you got conned.

I dont care anymore because its my past.We divorced 6 year ago.I cant do anything about this anyway.Shes remarried..i have a new lady..the only thing i care about is our kids.My exwifwe and our 2 kids live in my country many years allready.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sherwood said:

The most amazing thing with the purchase of that land is that I was made a co-signatory to any future transactions on that deed, mortgage etc. I thought that extraordinary.

If you're a farang then I too see it as being 'extraordinary'.

480M2 is hardly much use except for building a house & a small garden.

If close to village with road access & pipes water available it is a pretty good price.

To the guy who commented on the Thai mentality of putting the price up next year

you are dead wrong, This is land, not a condo & if the guy is not desperate for a sale he is correct.

Wifes 1.1 rai (1760 M2) of vacant land is appreciating at about 160,000 Bht a year

11 hours ago, ehs818 said:

His asking price, plus his comment about raising the price if it doesn't sell this year up to 500,000 tells you all you need to know about this guy. Ask him just who he thinks will buy it next year for more money, since there will be no great return of tourists coming. Off him 200,000 and settle on 300,000. If not accepted, just move on. Forget that greedy fool.

People said the same about Sukhumvit road when they gave it to the Thai indians 100 years ago... now Shangri la bought a piece of land at 3.1 million per wah on Thonglor. Hindsight is great.

11 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You CANNOT get a secured loan on Sor Por Kor land. And I doubt anyone would farm Chanote titled land.

EVERYONE farms chanote titled land.

That is how they avoid property tax.

When you get a chance swing by my place and I will show you a near by beachside plot of 9 rai that just sold for 2.6 Billion baht.  They are currently planting it out with rows of coconut trees.

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

To the guy who commented on the Thai mentality of putting the price up next year

you are dead wrong, This is land, not a condo & if the guy is not desperate for a sale he is correct.

Wifes 1.1 rai (1760 M2) of vacant land is appreciating at about 160,000 Bht a year

Until Somchai next door opens a pig farm or aluminium widow making business. 

Also,  true value is only realized when trying to sell, said land.

Many, many, things can trip up an investment in Thailand.

Edited by Orinoco

The land here in this Country is very difficult to value. Its basically who will pay how much for what. 

Us for example: we bought a little over 1 Rai, 1800sqm for 1.2Mil in Saraburi which we built our home on, and I asked how much is the plot next door the same size as I was interested in extending our land. The same owner who sold us the 1st plot then said it would be 2Mil for exactly the same size and similar shape. They are nuts, why on earth do they add an extra 800k just because your interested? Anyway I declined and I'll let them get back to me if they drop the asking price to something reasonable. 

Again in Saraburi my wife has 4 Rai of rice land which is apparently worth 600k. 

So who knows the price of land, its who will pay how much for what and where. 

As someone mentioned DDProperty have land plots for sale so do a comparison on what you are being offered. 

• Like 2