Reopened Thai schools face biggest test as COVID fear stalks classrooms

webfact

D5CFC28B-1809-4AF6-AF6F-26975DCEA94D.jpg

Of the 12,000 or so Thai schools that resumed onsite learning in November, 71 per cent have successfully ensured that students can sit in class and study with their friends at least half of the time. These statistics offer hope, but prospects of a return to normal education were hit by the sudden temporary closure of several schools in recent weeks.

Schools where students test positive for highly-contagious COVID-19 respond by closing temporarily to minimize the risk of an outbreak. So far, schools have closed in Bangkok, Nakhon Ratchasima, Lampang, Roi Et and several other provinces after detecting COVID-19 infection.

“If you add the Omicron variant to the scene, schools will find it even more difficult to reopen,” predicts prominent educator Prof Dr Sompong Jitradub, a former lecturer at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Education.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/reopened-thai-schools-face-biggest-test-as-covid-fear-stalks-classrooms/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just 2 more weeks to slow the spread. Temporary lockdowns to protect the health care system. Just close the schools to protect the elderly. Keep your business closed to contain a possible cluster. Get your 5th booster to prevent a variant. Seems to be working after 619 days. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dr_lucas said:

Young people can just as easily infect older people they are in contact with and produce new mutations and variants. 

In China they are killing infected pets for that reason, so closing schools with infections and remote online education isn't as bad. 

Natures way of making run for the young. China killing infected pets? More like cooking them! Ha!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Uh oh, prepare for the sniffles everyone!!

Young people have barely been directly affected by covid.  Survival rate is among the highest for that demographic with many not even knowing they had covid.

People seem to forget that the cool season has arrived. i remember years ago at this time of year, and it wasn't as cool, students came to school with runny noses. sniffs and coughs and it went around for months.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dr_lucas said:

Young people can just as easily infect older people they are in contact with and produce new mutations and variants. 

In China they are killing infected pets for that reason, so closing schools with infections and remote online education isn't as bad. 

They are killing pets anyway. A (chinees) men have to eat.

7 hours ago, dr_lucas said:

Spot on. Covid has recently swept through my granddaughters school in the UK. Most of the kids were barely affected but we heard a couple of grandparents were very sick in hospital are catching it from their own grandkids.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But they  are extremely instrumental in the transmission of Covid... when attending schools. Why do so many seem unable to grasp this?

That's because the vaccines are ineffective. So we should inject children? 

8 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

The symptoms sound like something every kid has had growing up.  So she felt sick, had headaches, felt sore, and a cough.  How does that sound severe or something worthy of shutting down economies and closing off schools?  Basically just sounds like a bad hangover.  She isn't dead and isn't now disabled due to covid.

And of course, the general outcome is little to no symptoms and very rare death.  Taking one positive or negative experience doesn't change the expected outcome.

The worst thing she experienced was probably the quarantine and your paranoia probably wasn't good for her mind. 

I do feel very sorry for the kids and the interruption to their education. Also we can all see the disruption this virus has caused to economic activity. We as a family have suffered huge disruption to our business and have had the last two years without anything like our normal income, surviving really on our savings. However I think that you belittle the danger of this virus, in deference to the vast majority of the medical community and public health officials around the world. I gave my accurate and honest account of a young Covid patient from my direct recent experience. This was not the sniffles. A normally healthy child was pretty ill. Interestingly now that she is recovered the hospital have asked us to take her back in 3 months. Presumably to check for long Covid.

I also thought the quarantine would be traumatic for her. We got a roster of family - grandma's, aunties and uncles, older brothers and sisters etc involved to call her frequently. We delivered food every couple of days although we could not see her. But kids are quite resilient and apart from one moment just after we dropped her off, she remained cheerful throughout. She made friends of course as kids do, and her only complaint was the quarantine food was not very nice. 

I find your comment about "my paranoia" not being good for her mind somewhat offensive. On the basis of one anonymous posting you have diagnosed me as paranoid - interesting. 

• Like 1