blacklisted for 12 months while on elite visa.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd agree that there is a certain element of risk with paying up front for the Thai Elite membership.

The program was in fact in turmoil some time ago when it was discovered that funds had been squandered (as if anything else was going to happen in Thailand !) - I think it was Abhisit’s government which attempted to terminate the program and actually put it on hold for 8 months while Thai Elites assets were investigated. 

Ultimately, the government could not close Thailand Elite, that would have been illegal and class action lawsuits were threatened (by the members who got together).

So far the program has stood the test of time (over 15 years), I believe it has entered a level of general acceptance and reliability where the risk of closure or loss of money is sufficiently diminished for it not to be a concern. 

Regarding your comment on ‘using an agent’....   Perhaps someone below 50 can rely on an agent can get a Ed Visa or a Visa based on charity work although that is still somewhat ’sketchy’ - how much do the agents charge for this ??... 

I do not know as I have never been involved in what you mention, this forum AN/TV sponsers an agent, and can probably put up a list of their services. It appears here from time to time.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Comments were to highlight that mistakes are easily made.

FYI - the subject of the OP overstayed his permission of stay by 3 months while holding valid Visa - it's hardly a major crime - a 12 month black list is extremely excessive in this case. 

Note; no need to exit Thailand, just apply for a extension of stay for another 12 months. 

It has been very clear since years that any overstay of more than 90 days results in a 1 year blacklist. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He had a valid visa, really?  I thought he had exceeded his permission to stay by three months and I'm pretty sure that invalidates the visa.

You are wrong. An overstay does not invalidate the visa. The overstay may, however, as in the current case, mean that you are forbidden to use the visa. If the overstay had been shorter, and the fine paid, he would have been free to re-enter Thailand on the visa without any problem.

"The overstay may, however, as in the current case, mean that you are forbidden to use the visa".

So, I am correct, thank you, his visa is invalid.

"If the overstay had been shorter, and the fine paid, he would have been free to re-enter Thailand on the visa without any problem".

If, if if...   It wasn't, he didn't and he isn't!  Guess what will happen if he tries to re-enter in the next 12 months...he'll be told his visa was invalidated because he was blacklisted due to a long overstay.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Britmantoo stated earlier on, that Immigration in this case could have been lenient in this particular case.

MY reasons for doing this would be to do with an Elite visa Holder, the current situation re covid and the need to create as much positive attention for potential tourists, to show goodwill and the spirit that Thailand really needs at this time. I cannot agree 100% because what has happened is against the rules.

For those who say Immigration Officers don't have the power and yes, within the rules, they don't, but we all know that while I believe that the rules for all Immigration affairs should be applied equally countrywide, they most certainly are not! Many posts on this forum ask about requirements for visa matters depending on which Office they apply. When things are different, in my opinion, it seems that some Officers either do not understand the rules or ask for things not required for reasons I do not know; maybe for personal benefit. Circumventing the rules and the law is commonplace here because (personal) "power" has been assumed.

For me, I have a conscience; within which are a set of principles (my law) but there some occasions when a pr*ck to my conscience is more favourable than being a pr*ck, in a situation in which the progress I want to make is seriously impeded.

So as an immigration Officer in this case, I might let the "Blacklisting" part slip my memory - but don't tell anyone!

Edited by ChrisKC
word change
  • Like 1

personally i think elite visa is at fault here. He should have been notified in time to take action. Aren't they suppose to provide "concierge" visa service? They certainly seem to be on top of it when your visa is expiring and it is time to spend more to re-up. They must have had a process in place for those who could not leave the country.

That said, spending that much on a visa, i would have taken the time to find out the conditions, especially given the consequences for messing up. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Don't you just loath it when you have those who wallowing in the misery of others? so the man did a mistake, is this a good reason to mock him?...

I'm certainly not mocking him. In fact, have great empathy for him.

The system fails foreigners daily. We suffer through until we can't bear it any longer and quietly leave or if stuck with family just endure the ignorance and stupidity.

And they think this will appeal to millionaires?

I stand corrected on the 25k. Top fine as I know it is 20k. That's just sad. They gave him a shoulder to cry on while knifing him in the back. Again, Thailand!

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, GrandPapillon said:

why do people bother staying in Thailand with all the immigration non-sense, this country has no future, it doesn't change or improve, it's only great for coming 3 to 4 months a year

The only reason I'm left with is I got married.

3 minutes ago, TheScience said:

I'm certainly not mocking him. In fact, have great empathy for him.

The system fails foreigners daily. We suffer through until we can't bear it any longer and quietly leave or if stuck with family just endure the ignorance and stupidity.

And they think this will appeal to millionaires?

I stand corrected on the 25k. Top fine as I know it is 20k. That's just sad. They gave him a shoulder to cry on while knifing him in the back. Again, Thailand!

I really do not think that Thailand and their immigration systems deserves criticising on this matter .

The guy overstayed his Visa and paid the consequences .

I do have sympathies for his predicament , but  he really should have made sure that his visa remined valid and that he didnt go on overstay 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My existing Visa expires in March 2022.

I will then be issued another visa which is valid until March 2027. 

The visa is valid, it is the permission of stay which is variable. 

Yes, of course your visa is still valid, you're not on a three-month overstay! 

There are circumstances in which IB can cancel visas, a long overstay, accompanied by blacklisting being one of those.

But you know that already, surely?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

43 minutes ago, n00dle said:

personally i think elite visa is at fault here. He should have been notified in time to take action. Aren't they suppose to provide "concierge" visa service? They certainly seem to be on top of it when your visa is expiring and it is time to spend more to re-up. They must have had a process in place for those who could not leave the country.

That said, spending that much on a visa, i would have taken the time to find out the conditions, especially given the consequences for messing up. 

Thai Elite does provide information on this, but they don’t ‘baby-sit’ their members.

When paying a chunk on money some may expect a reminder etc but I would my trust someone else to do this. 

Ultimately the system itself is somewhat clumsy - it’s understandable that this mistake happened, it’s not the first & wont be the last time something like this occurs. 

People & the system are both fallible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai Elite does provide information on this, but they don’t ‘baby-sit’ their members.

When paying a chunk on money some may expect a reminder etc but I would my trust someone else to do this. 

Ultimately the system itself is somewhat clumsy - it’s understandable that this mistake happened, it’s not the first & wont be the last time something like this occurs. 

People & the system are both fallible. 

if they send emails to an invalid address, or probably ends up in SPAM with their "wording" and heavy "images" in emails

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, of course your visa is still valid, you're not on a three-month overstay!  There are circumstances in which IB can cancel visas and a long overstay, accompanied by blacklisting would be one of those.

I get your point.. permission of  stay supersedes the visa. 

It’s clear this guy was going off the visa dates not knowing what permission of stay is. 

I wonder: if he was in a 5 year membership he would have had Visa stickers valid for 12 months. 

I guess he was on a 10 year membership if he had 2 years remaining on his visa which would have been 5 years visa sticker (renewable for another 5 years) 

He then stayed  15 months on a 12 month permission of stay. 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"If the overstay had been shorter, and the fine paid, he would have been free to re-enter Thailand on the visa without any problem".

If, if if...   It wasn't, he didn't and he isn't!  Guess what will happen if he tries to re-enter in the next 12 months...he'll be told his visa was invalidated because he was blacklisted due to a long overstay.

They wouldn't tell him this, because his visa isn't invalid. They would tell him that he can't enter because he is blacklisted.

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There are circumstances in which IB can cancel visas, a long overstay, accompanied by blacklisting being one of those.

The IB doesn't cancel visas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"The overstay may, however, as in the current case, mean that you are forbidden to use the visa".

So, I am correct, thank you, his visa is invalid.

Sigh! If the visa had been invalidated, he would not be free to use it to enter Thailand in a year's time.

Your position is similar to saying that his visa was invalidated because he did not have Covid insurance to enter. There is a difference between a cancelled visa and a denied entry. You are showing another example of the confusion between different regulations as the OP's friend showed in misunderstanding th difference between visa validity and permission to stay expiry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

For those who say Immigration Officers don't have the power and yes, within the rules, they don't, but we all know that while I believe that the rules for all Immigration affairs should be applied equally countrywide, they most certainly are not!

Actually, as long as the case is escalated to the necessary level, very senior officials do have the power to exercise their discretion and waive the blacklisting. Indeed, on very rare occasions, this has been known to happen, though I cannot recall it happening at Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

When someone with an Elite membership exits and re-enters Thailand, they may or may not be aware of the updated permission to stay. It is not possible for them to have an automated procedure that will inform members shortly before expiry of their permission to stay. All they can do (and I believe this is already done) is send regular email reminders to members that they must take care to understand the expiry date of their permission to stay and avoid overstay.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have never read of anybody being successful when filing a appeal for it.

If he had not paid the fine and was taken to the detention center (IDC) he might of been able to get something done.

You need to have good Thai friends. My son overstayed his visa while visiting us in Thailand. My friend took him to the immigration office no fine no ban and a three month extension bt1900 no bribes too.