what was your career?

georgegeorgia

First real job was washing dishes at a curling club in Calgary

Then a cowboy in southern Alberta

some Uni then 4 years at the Old Guard in Arlington Cemetery

Fixed cars in my carport in Phoenix to help pay for Uni.

Then building telcoms for landline, then the first CDMA cell phones, 2G, 2.5G 3G, 4G and just before covid helped deploy Tmobile's first 5G.

Now I am tired and ready to retire...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Who had a job they remained in past 30 years ?

Yes, me. 34 years with the UK Police Service. 24 years with the "Met" in London then 10 years with a County Constabulary but not as a police officer. I was first a civilian forensic expert and then an intelligence analyst. I also worked a further 9 years as a Volunteer with the Thai Tourist Police. Retired to live in Thailand at the age of 56 years on the first of 3 UK pensions. Now live in Cambodia.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

I had a very eclectic career until I stopped working full time around 8 years ago. Had some great jobs along the way and some not so good ones but always had wall to wall employment.

Became self-employed eventually, starting and/or running a few different businesses. None of them was a great success but they weren't failures either, and they all enabled me to raise two separate families, following first divorce, and put bread on the table. 

I also managed to have the wit, and cash flow, to own five properties at one stage. Owning a property portfolio is kind of satisfying and reassuring that one has achieved something in one's life which is tangible (as opposed to having created a strong cv, for example).

Having finally hung up my boots, I have been authoring a novel for the past 3+ years. It is a fresh challenge, particularly mentally, and helps to keep me sharp, and motivated. 

I do miss some of my previous employed positions, but the others, not so much. I have been fortunate over all. When I look around me and see some of the jobs or work which people have to do to ensure basic survival, I give thanks to a higher power that I am not one of them.

• Like 2

I started out as a trainee buyer for a dept store,then for some yrs managed stores ,got into property,then all of a sudden everything changed ,lets say i could not work at that any more ,for  the next 20 yrs you would not believe my life ,from looking after strippers to ,importing and exporting  i cant even begin to say how my life changed ,it was a blast even had business in BKK , then we came to live in Thailand permanantly  , from living in London in the 60s until now life has been great.hope there is some more still to come ,

• Like 2

I have changed proffession every 4-5 years, and last I did was offshore. Was offshore 20 years ago, and then built a few businesses, and last I freelanced offshore, but because of covid, I laid it off for now. Will start a new company when everything normalize again. I do not believe I will retire completely, need something to do, or be creative somehow to feel alive. 

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

23 years seaman ................would drive me crazy stuck on a boat all the time away for weeks at a time 

Its not so bad.In far east 6 weeks on/off.Anyway sometimes we waiting for towing a olirig and that can takes many weeks.Then we stay in the harbour.And i can tell that singapore or labuan in malaysia is great places to be in.Orchard tower in singapore.In Labuan in malaysia has alot of pubs and bars with alot of pinays.But thats another story.ha-ha

4 hours ago, seedy said:

A bit off topic, but ...

If I had to do it all over again, would get a ticket as electrician or something.

A trade I could do world wide.

Work until had enuf in the bank. Stop working, and go Live

When the $$$ got low, go get another job.

Never invest in stupid things like houses, cars. Bikes maybe !

Then at the age I am now I would have a lot more memories than 'Going to Work' every day.

And would have slept with a LOT more girls

Even though i love my job , it is what i always wanted to do , and got a degree in chemistry , you are right . I cannot do anything else unless highly illegal ( or maybe making soap in Thailand ... Thai's spend crazy amount on a soap which promises white skin ... still on my radar to do something like that as a hobby ) . Being electrician mean you can be your own boss , and they got plenty of work nowadays , making as much as they basically want .

15 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Most people in our GEN remained in a job 30 plus years unlike nowadays 

Eh? Some of us gave up "job for life" a very very long time ago. People in high demand skills move around at will - a couple of times a year is not uncommon.

I'm not talking about the so-called "gig economy" which is highly exploitative.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have never understood why some people while at work, do as little as possible it just makes the day drag on, I always worked at a steady pace taking pride and satisfaction in what i did, the days flew past, when there were days of no work coming in it was soo boring and the day seemed to just drag on and on.

In my kind of work thats good . Like i said im a chemical process operator . This means our team , control the chemical plant . There are many days our PLC control can take care just about everything .Like the autopilot on a airplane . These days , i /team are working on autopilot also , company making money . Problem is , like in a airplane , autopilots do fail or things just break down and all hell can break lose in seconds . Compared to a aircraft , we control a few aircrafts at the same time , and we do crash a few times a year , but we do save many times the crashes also . In busy moments , theres a few 100 alarms to 1000s of alarms /h , trying to fix things , before a emergency shutdown ( thats a crash) .

So yes , my job is to try to do as little as possible,  check signs before something goes wrong , and adjust a few minor things before things turn really bad .

It looks weird but my job is like that , the less i got to do , the more my company is happy .

• Like 1

My first job/ apprenticeship I started at 15 yrs old only about 3 weeks after I left school, I started as a mechanic with the local council, before everything was contracted out, all equipment was owned by the council, from lawn mowers to dustcarts, tractors, compressors, JCBs, road rollers, cess pit trucks YUK, while at Brookland college day release 4yrs (the famous race track ) I used to get the pish taken out of me for working on dust carts, as the rest all worked on just cars, little did they know i was gaining so much more knowledge than they ever would, especially in hydraulics, at 18 i had passed my exams and was fully qualified, the council had to have a meeting to award me full pay as it was their policy not to until 21. I got my HGV licence at 18. After 9 yrs I left when my marriage failed. I had always been able to get work. then while in OZ at 52 one of these ran over me with the rear wheel braking lots of bones. i gave up work. and fulfilled my 20 yr in 18yrs plan to live in Thailand and no i did not get a big pay-out. I do miss work to a certain extent, but not HAVING to get up every morning 6-7 days a week. sometimes 12 hr days. However I would love to rebuild a large diesel engine again.1922682700_images(58).jpg.774512ae6ab444524ee8083a2d0d682d.jpg Ouch !

On 12/10/2021 at 7:17 AM, BritManToo said:

I much prefer not working, can't understand people who miss working.

Yeah, I retired at 53 and was glad to walk away. My father worked until his early 60's at the same place for over 30 years. He said he loved it. I just don't get it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tom89 said:

Yeah, I retired at 53 and was glad to walk away. My father worked until his early 60's at the same place for over 30 years. He said he loved it. I just don't get it.

loving the job vs not leaving the job is a different thing . I love my job , i would not like to do anything different ( well unless theres something i can do from Thailand which there isnt) , but i would not think about 1 second if i get the chance to leave . If i get pension age , i will leave and not think back 1 single second , same as i am home now for 2 months , love to stay longer like that , 2 months is nothing but at least it clears my head .

I was a professional/semi professional musician playing Bass Guitar and Keyboards since a teenager, right up until I came to stay in Thailand for good. as a semi professional maybe only playing three nights a week, I took on other jobs as an HGV, and PSV driver so I could get a mortgage to buy my house. There was a government scheme in Scotland at the time, early to mid eighties that allowed people in rented property to buy their house provided they had a full time job.

I also worked for about 10 years as a part time Private Investigator being trained by an ex policeman who was already in the job.