Cobra Anti Venom

kbb

^ +1

We never had cobra's but lots of other Snakes (green and gray) some around 1-2 meters in length.

Fortunately our dog alerts us and fights them but I doubt that she will win from a cobra (especially with that spitting)

May I ask how did you deal when your dog got hit in the eye with the Cobra spitting????

TiA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The average list price for CroFab is $3,198 per vial, according to the health care information tech company Connecture. Manufacturing costs, product improvements and research all factor into the drug's price

Shelf life of the anti venom is about 2 months. So yes it's a really good idea to stock anti venom.????

• Haha 1

A few years back I lived up in the mountains with a lot of snakes Cobra and pythons being the main ones . The King cobra loves eating fellow snakes the biggest python I saw in my garden was more than 5 mtr I always knew when the <deleted> was around as one of my 10 cats would go missing until I was left with just two and yes I had a monocle cobra inches away from me in my car port all you do is stand still and they go away . Dogs agitate them by barking at them and yes when they spit they can spit a few mtrs which cause blindness when ever I came across a cobra in the garden I would always put my crash helmet on and pull down the visor for protection I understand that we’re you to get a venomous bite you’ve got 45 minutes left on this Earth if you panic however if you stay calm and relaxed it slows down the poison so you should be good for another 30 minutes I would of thought  you could of stored AV in a household fridge if this is the case should you get bit stab yourself with it and get down to the hospital .by the way Cobra is very tasty I’ve had it twice once in South Korea and once when my Burmese gardener caught one and made the most wonderful soup out of it but you have to know what your doing in preparing it !

Edited by crazykopite
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

A few years back I lived up in the mountains with a lot of snakes Cobra and pythons being the main ones . The King cobra loves eating fellow snakes the biggest python I saw in my garden was more than 5 mtr I always knew when the <deleted> was around as one of my 10 cats would go missing until I was left with just two and yes I had a monocle cobra inches away from me in my car port all you do is stand still and they go away . Dogs agitate them by barking at them and yes when they spit they can spit a few mtrs which cause blindness when ever I came across a cobra in the garden I would always put my crash helmet on and pull down the visor for protection I understand that we’re you to get a venomous bite you’ve got 45 minutes left on this Earth if you panic however if you stay calm and relaxed it slows down the poison so you should be good for another 30 minutes I would of thought  you could of stored AV in a household fridge if this is the case should you get bit stab yourself with it !

wow , a 5mtr one is huuuge , thats very uncommon . Biggest i've seen so far was a 1.5 to 2 m , but they were a few around that length . I don't measure them , when they get sizes like that , better stay my distance and not take my measuring tape ... haha

• Haha 1

Cobras will warn but not attack unless threatened. Vipers are much more dangerous. Nevertheless(sadly) my father in law always kill  the cobras if they come near the house and eat it with his mates. Apparently it is an aphrodisiac.

• Haha 2

One hour to the next hospital will be close enough, even in case of Cobra bite.

Instead of focusing on AV, I would recommend to learn and train First Aid practises with regards to snake bites. Eg, wound cleaning/disinfecting and correct bandaging. Another poster pointed out a very good point: staying calm and keeping heart rate down.

OP, I don't want to promote certain businesses openly here but will ve happy to answer your PM in this regard.

Edited by fabruer
Write out abbreviation for clarity
  • Haha 1

Cut back the vegetation around your yard close to your house.

I live in Issan.  I make sure the front and back yard is CPack or tiled.

Plants are in containers.

I've never seen a Cobra in our backyard in 5 years.

That would freak me out!

Good luck!

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:51 AM, pacovl46 said:

https://www.snake-antivenin.com/

They sell all sorts of anti venoms. I think they’re made by the Thai Red Cross Society snake farm in Bangkok, if I’m not mistaken.

Keep in mind, though, that one vial most likely won’t do the trick. In case of a king cobra bite you’ll most likely need 20 or 30 vials depending on how much the snake actually injects you with. You’ll have to do some research on how many vials you will need for a monocle cobra. Also, snake venom has a rather “short” shelf life. So, this can get rather expensive. 

I was told by red cross 10 vials for the most dangerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiSmarterThanYou said:

I was told by red cross 10 vials for the most dangerous.

I know a guy in the states that got bit by a king cobra and he needed 30 vials in total. It all depends on the species and how much venom is injected. I’d rather have too many vials than not enough. 

1 hour ago, ThaiSmarterThanYou said:

also wrong, antivenom has 5 years shell life...

and as most expiration dates, this is pure bull$hit and you can use them so much more time !

Where did you get five years? Normally it’s between 1 and 3. The main problem, though, is that once it’s expired hospitals might not administer it to you anymore, despite the fact that it might be good for much longer than the actual expiry date. 

I've had 4 cobra's at the house this year.

Thanks for letting us know Chumphae is the closest hospital with av.

They do get the hairs on the back of the neck to stand up.

I have a dog which has lost one eye from a cobra and a family of mynar birds who are good for alerting the presence of a snake.

The tool i use to remove them is a 10 foot long piece of bamboo with a fishing harpoon end on it with 4 spikes.

Edited by farmerjo