Thailand set to approve Special Tourist Visa for digital nomads

Jonathan Fairfield

The lack vision and "out of the box" thinking of the Thais never ceases to amaze me.

Why not another one year visa /extension "Non DN" requiring the payment of a flat income tax rate of 200k a year? And health insurance of course.

• Like 2

They are missing the boat with digital nomads.

easy solution is that you say that they have to be here a year and get a tax id and pay taxes on funds they earn while here.  Not sure how that would work with the U.S. but it would pose interesting thoughts for some countries because a lot of the time you can only be taxed in one country can you not.

put a minimum earnings level of lets say 1.2  million baht they have to claim and pay tax on and it makes the country a little pocket change and for renewal all you have to show is your tax return and the paid slip that goes with it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

No one in Thai Immigration understands what a digital nomad really is and no one has any idea what is really needed and no one will ever take the time to find out.

To be frank, I also don't.

When I travel for vacation, I always bring my laptop with me. I check my email, I answer those which are needed, both private and work, and do some transactions with banking and investments. I have done this for decades and I have always considered myself as a tourist.

So what's so different about a digital nomad?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

And what personal tax % is applicable, and how will it be monitored/collected?

If there's no tax, wait for the outcry from other foreigners employed here and paying tax. 

Tax is only applicable if there is income received in Thailand or income received abroad is brought into Thailand within the same calendar year. Besides tourists are not allowed to work this is just another funky new BS from someone who wanted his short moment in the news.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

To be frank, I also don't.

When I travel for vacation, I always bring my laptop with me. I check my email, I answer those which are needed, both private and work, and do some transactions with banking and investments. I have done this for decades and I have always considered myself as a tourist.

So what's so different about a digital nomad?

They are working.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

And what personal tax % is applicable, and how will it be monitored/collected?

If there's no tax, wait for the outcry from other foreigners employed here and paying tax. 

Why an outcry...they work in Thailand in local jobs or have local companies and need to pay the local taxes.

With the digital nomads they need to rely on goods and services consumed, not tax collected, otherwise the digital nomads being "nomads" can go "nomading" somewhere else...the others with work permits or local companies can't easily do this, nobody misses shooting a sitting duck.

Its a breath of fresh air, or even a step in the right direction, maybe?

I was glad to see the email, not on here too much, but I live in Ireland, work full-time in I.T remotely, part-time trader and looking to move out of Ireland next year.

Been back here 5 years, although lots of options out there.

Edited by ECLV

3 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Says who?

To be practical, how can Immigration tell that a digital nomad is working while in Thailand, unless he/she declares income and pays tax?

That's the meaning of Digital Nomad. A self employed or independent worker who is semi itinerant and works in or uses ICT to earn money. What on earth do think this discussion is about? lol

12 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Says who?

To be practical, how can Immigration tell that a digital nomad is working while in Thailand, unless he/she declares income and pays tax?

I don't care how or if Immigration wish to determine DN status..Perhaps by their DN visa? Perhaps because DNs tell people what they do. Perhaps DNs have working hours and workplaces , work habits and body language.

Edited by The Hammer2021

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They spend time but not money. Sex tourists and clubbers are the big spenders

There was an interesting piece in the BP - from memory, a "digital nomad" spends a pretty decent average of amount on living expenses and has a pretty healthy tourism allowance. While I totally agree with you, there aren't many (sex) tourists queuing up to enter but there are a lot of 'nomads that have been grounded for the past 2 years and are looking to make a move to somewhere welcoming. 

It's not just living and working expenses. Amongst other countries, Estonia is offering decent options to allow companies to be set up, offering preferable tax breaks and also offering citizenship and passports. I have a couple of friends who made a trek over there recently, although they wouldn't want to live there full time, its a good backup plan and forward thinking from the Estonians. The best Thailand can manage is rebrand a SETV with a catchy name. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

That's the meaning of Digital Nomad. A self employed or independent worker who is semi itinerant and works in or uses ICT to earn money. What on earth do think this discussion is about? lol

So everybody is a digital nomad.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has commended relevant agencies and the Thai people for making Thailand one of the best destinations for travelers. He also assured that the government would be ready to listen to all constructive feedback in order to draft policies that benefit everyone.

image.jpeg.aede8629980fb3950750a4094f027023.jpeg

These people cannot organize any idea (that they are not able to have anyway), so who is idiot enough to think that they could take any good decision ? 20 years here and still haven't seen any of those retards be able to think actually.

Edited by ThaiSmarterThanYou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Putting aside prosecution of digital nomads for years before, one thing i do not really understand.

So government is aware digital nomads working but approving tourist visa?

Would it not be wiser to offer digital nomad working visa and perhaps collect some taxes?

Exactly what I was thinking. Most Thais have neither the interest nor the skills to participate in the field, so nobody would be taking jobs from native Thai folk.

Thinking of ads I've seen for " native English speakers" to teach online. Perfect example of an area that should be allowed.

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The spokesperson said the government is working to accommodate the increasing numbers of digital nomads by approving a Special Tourist Visa (STV) that allows foreigners to stay for 90 days.

The visa can be extended twice, meaning tourists can stay up to 270 days at a time. The government hopes that STVs will help revitalize the tourism industry under effective COVID-19 control and prevention measures.

How lame.  If you want foreigners to work in your country, pave the path with incentives, not a glorified tourist visa.  How absurd!

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1