Hope for same-sex marriage still a faint glimmer in Thailand

webfact

000_9BU9NX.jpg

People pass through a rainbow walkway inside the Samyan Mitrtown complex in Bangkok on June 11, 2021, in celebration of LGBTQ Pride Month. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

Despite being considered one of the world’s most tolerant societies, Thailand is unlikely to bless same-sex marriages any time soon.

Efforts to legalize the status of same-sex couples in Thailand have been dealt harsh blows recently. The Constitutional Court’s ruling last month supported the Civil and Commercial Code’s edict that only marriage between a man and woman is constitutional. Later it went even further in its explanation of the ruling, which seemed to reflect prevailing prejudices against Thailand’s LGBTQI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersexed) community.

In response, many from the LGBTQI community vented their frustration online, complaining the verdict portrayed them as less than human and as a minority trying to overthrow the culture of the majority.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/hope-for-same-sex-marriage-still-a-faint-glimmer-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I don't think the "Q"  in  LBGTQI is for queer lol. It used to be LBG just a few years ago it seemed. Soon it will have more letters. It's kind of getting confusing. Most gay and straight people don't know what each letter means. Most people refer to Q as questioning. I think Queer is covered in the LBG already. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I don't think the "Q"  in  LBGTQI is for queer lol. It used to be LBG just a few years ago it seemed. Soon it will have more letters. It's kind of getting confusing. Most gay and straight people don't know what each letter means. Most people refer to Q as questioning. I think Queer is covered in the LBG already. 

Often when people self describe as "queer" irrespective of gender, and many youger people do, they are referring to an activist/political theory, which began in many Universities and schools of philosophy during the 1990s.

What are the main points of queer theory?

Queer theory emphasises the fluid and humanly performed nature of sexuality – or better, sexualities. It questions socially established norms and dualistic categories with a special focus on challenging sexual (heterosexual/homosexual), gender (male/female), class (rich/poor), racial (white/non-white) classifications.

25 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

it is their PRIVATE LIFE , and the dinosaurs of the government should keep their nose out of it . Not their business .

Excepting that they are being pressed to legislate on their behalf......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

By that logic, we should bring back slavery, if the majority wants it. Equal access and equal treatment are not important.

Does the majority want slavery? No. 

And about equal treatment: Will I be allowed to marry my favorite twins? If not, why not? Equality and all that...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1