comparing Thailand forums?

World Traveller2

Anyone ever found a 'reader's report' assessing the strengths and weaknesses of various forums on Thailand? And the plain truth (non-Garner Ted Armstrong)?

Firstly, on the practical level, what are the pros and cons, aside from the facts. For example, if you want to know about P4P the most suitable forum is A, for expat living forum B, for visa issues C. Etc

What I would also like to know, for plain curiosity and fascination with data...

Business

1. Years in operation

2. Registered where

3. Number of active posters

4. Owned by whom/what

5. Profitability history

6. History of ownership

Content

I. Moderation level (strict, loosey-goosey or medium?)

2. Moderation style (immediate banning for violation of two prohibited subjects or five actions)

3. Subject focus (e.g. bisexual twins in Chiang Mai or  where to send your kid to school in Samut Prakarn?)

4. Flaming wars %

5. Style (quick replies vs. considered detailed research)

Technical

i. ISP country & company

ii. speed max/min

iii. key hours (UTC)

iv. techie stuff

Mostly, where they differ. For example forum 'A', because it is registered in Thailand and its sponsorship is by domestic advertisers (and its ownership is publically-listed) is very strict about subjects a, b and c (even though Thai-owned newspapers mention the same) but not subject d. ISP is in Netherlands and it is owned by a consortium of farang businessmen, who also own bars in city X. It has gone through three major shareholder groups since its inception in year Z. There was a high-profile civil damages court case involving Q in 20XX, which the owners 'won' (if spending THBXXX in legal fees can be considered winning). Major content policies changed in years 1, 2 and 3. Policy X was reversed in 19XX.

Readership consists of largely Anglophones (especially USA and UK), and is divided between expats (23%), tourists (60%) and other (17%). Service business owners (at the conversational level anyway) account for only 3% of posters, but 20% of readership. Moderation is done on a volunteer basis by advertisers for reduced advert fees. There are approximately 50 paid contributors, two of whom left to start their own forums over a disagreement over company vision. The forum works best on browser Z and has an average (mean) speed of loading of X for attachments.

BTW, as I am sure is obvious I know nothing about e-commerce/publishing. I would like to read news journal articles and academic studies on the subject. But concise assessment will suffice.

Any takers?

• Confused 5

17 hours ago, World Traveller2 said:

Anyone ever found a 'reader's report' assessing the strengths and weaknesses of various forums on Thailand? And the plain truth (non-Garner Ted Armstrong)?

Firstly, on the practical level, what are the pros and cons, aside from the facts. For example, if you want to know about P4P the most suitable forum is A, for expat living forum B, for visa issues C. Etc...

What do you mean with

1. non-Garner Ted Armstrong

2. P4P

Edited by Puccini
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

What do you mean with

2. P4P

According to Mr Google P4P could be 

Pay for Play    
Pay for Performance

Pay for Placement    

Pound For Pound

As for non-Garner  I do not see what he has to do with forums on Thailand

Garner Ted Armstrong (February 9, 1930 – September 15, 2003) was an American evangelist and the son of Herbert W. Armstrong, founder of the Worldwide Church of God,

7 hours ago, Puccini said:

What do you mean with

2. P4P

Yes, you are correct on both...

First is a pun. 'The Plain Truth' was a magazine produced by the Worldwide Church of God, a non-mainstream Protestant church.

Second, P4P stands for 'pay for play', i.e. prostitution.

Edited by World Traveller2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, World Traveller2 said:

First is a pun. 'The Plain Truth' was a magazine produced by the Worldwide Church of God, a non-mainstream Protestant church.

Thank you for your helpful additional information.

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2021 at 3:55 PM, World Traveller2 said:

I remember the Plain Truth well, but while I read it to pass the time I recall nothing of the content.

P4P is salvation for men that can't be bothered playing the female's game.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I remember the Plain Truth well, but while I read it to pass the time I recall nothing of the content.

P4P is salvation for men that can't be bothered playing the female's game.

I am guilty of tangetical trivia related to my idiosyncratic interests (including history of religion).

For some, obligatory vaccination (even with public health rationale) could be a very big issue. I have reduced my libertarian ideals for survival and convenience.

Edited by World Traveller2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, World Traveller2 said:

I am guilty of tangetical trivia related to my idiosyncratic interests (including history of religion).

For some, obligatory vaccination (even with public health rationale) could be a very big issue. I have reduced my libertarian ideals for survival and convenience.

Translation please and relevanceto your OP?

On 12/17/2021 at 11:55 PM, fangless said:

According to Mr Google P4P could be 

Pay for Play    
Pay for Performance

Pay for Placement    

Pound For Pound

As for non-Garner  I do not see what he has to do with forums on Thailand

Garner Ted Armstrong (February 9, 1930 – September 15, 2003) was an American evangelist and the son of Herbert W. Armstrong, founder of the Worldwide Church of God,

On this forum there is also P4P meaning >      paid for posting.  I think most of us know the ones that

post thousands and thousand of times b'cos they know absolutely everything.

Also their posts don't get deleted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackSinclair said:

On this forum there is also P4P meaning >      paid for posting.  I think most of us know the ones that

post thousands and thousand of times b'cos they know absolutely everything.

Also their posts don't get deleted. 

Agree!

They even manage to give "click baiters" a bad name!