wifi antenna or extender?

Don Chance

29 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

SO i am thinking an antenna like this one. 

Where does your WiFi signal come from?

Is it public WiFi? (guess from your description)

If so I would invest in an extender with a proper antenna.

And 69 Baht??? Looks like a typical Laz fake.

This thing would occupy a USB slot and add another wireless network adapter to your laptop.

(it's not just an antenna, no such thing for WiFi adapters built into laptops)

Edited by KhunBENQ

If the original router and signal is so poorly already, wireless extenders and the like won't be helpful at all. You might get a full strength local connection but the Internet speed would still suck.

Not sure how big your house is but just getting a new proper wifi router should be sufficient, mine goes 5 floors up and covers like 300 sqm on proper speeds with a basic Truemove wifi membership.

If you do have a big building and one router is not sufficient I would recommend getting Power over Ethernet cables and connecting those to repeaters. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

Before I could give a reliable answer I would have to have to know your home/network existing config.

Unless you buy an antenna that is sold as a legitimate upgrade to your existing router forget it and consider the repeater option. 

If your are currently relying on the wifi of a a router installed by you ISP it maybe worth considering  buying a wifi mesh with two or three stations. If you do so, turn off the wifi of the ISP's router and use i solely as an access point and DHCP server. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/asus-rt-ax53u-ax1800-dual-band-wifi-6-80211ax-router-mu-mimo-rt-ax53uivoryitshop-i2689997939-s9698925927.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.32447146sPB1uW&search=1&freeshipping=1

If your place isn't that big you could get a bit cheaper model for 1-1.5k too. I just use the standard one delivered for free with True internet and it works just fine tho.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Please explain the difference, thanks.

Power over ethernet - Is using a PoE enabled switch or injector to send power down the ethernet cable to power something, I have PoE cameras, Wifi access points and small single board computers.

Poweline is sending the internet down your power cables.

Im not sure what the poster is suggesting with the PoE, but that's what Power over Ethernet is. 

Edited by recom273
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Often the problem in guesthouses is that the router is just a little too far.  If i lift my laptop up now the internet connects but sitting on my bed it does not.

So i might try the antenna for 70 baht.  Also with a usb extension cable will be more compact.

Are you bothering to read the replies? You have already been told that it is not an antenna. The description also makes no mention of it being called an antenna. It's a USB network adapter; a substitute for the one in your laptop. 

An unlimited data pack via SIM costs as little as 150 baht per month; you can use your Smartphone as a hotspot.

It will cost less and be more convenient than a cheap and nasty USB network adaptor and  extra long USB extension cable.

44 minutes ago, Roger That said:

Laptops normally have pretty good internal antennae. Unlikely that a USB adapter like that will improve it, especially at that price.

As mentioned, moving or upgrading your wireless router might be a better option. Or some kind of mesh setup.

You should try reading too ????

It's public WiFi within a guesthouse. OP hopes using a cheap USB network adaptor hung on a curtain taking it closer to the public router and appending a long USB extension cable to the curtain hung USB adaptor witl do the trick.

I'd say it's more convenient to buy an unlimited SIM data package...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

To add on, in case the OP relies on public wifi in a building for apartment use only, just get a SIM card router for 1.5K on lazada instead.

No, i'm renting a room in a guesthouse that is normally 600 for 5,500 a month. Nice deal i can tell you it is a sweet room.  I talked to the owner he is fixing it for me now.

I've rented apartments before, in the end it is easier to rent from a guesthouse for a short term of  a few months.

you want an extender/repeater
most routers these days (not from ISP) can be set up as repeaters
you can also get cheap plug in repeaters, personally i would pay the extra for decent brand like ASUS or Xiaomi (like one linked above)
place them where wifi signal is strongest

if you have access to the original point router you can bridge them via LAN cable for better connection

if you want to run an antenna via USB from laptop to where signal is strongest
you will likely need a Powered USB lead (booster cable)
or USB to LAN adapters
so you go Laptop>USB>LAN>USB>Antenna

USB cables only work so far,
i use Booster USB cables (and also USB to LAN) and they are not too reliable for some devices.

Edited by patman30
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

No, i'm renting a room in a guesthouse that is normally 600 for 5,500 a month. Nice deal i can tell you it is a sweet room.  I talked to the owner he is fixing it for me now.

I've rented apartments before, in the end it is easier to rent from a guesthouse for a short term of  a few months.

?? That's what he said; that you are relying on public WiFi.

I don't think it's easier to rent from a guesthouse than to rent an apartment, especially for a "few months". Your experience is obviously different. 

What's important is that everyone concerned is happy. Sounds like you are, as is the owner of the guesthouse.

Does this mean that thread problem is marked as 'solved', as the owner is "fixing it for you"?