On racism and stereotyping in Thailand

rooster59

4 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

There are hours and hours of texts and videos of this prolific author. I do keep lots of his texts, those that I stand out

So why not post a direct link on this forum and let the rest of us judge the contents of that link, without your interpretation, or you hiding it behind a PM?

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Tell me how white people suffer disadvantage from racism. I'm not interested in hurt feelings from name calling, I'm interested in real consequences at a systemic level.

White people do suffer disadvantage if they are poor. That is a known fact, but many by their own efforts rise above it and make something of their lives. Two well known Brits without a high education and privalege, started life as market stall barrow boys. Their names Lord Alan Sugar and Sir Richard Branson. (Branson is a known dislexic). The Asian population I pointed out had a far bigger disadvantage than the Black population; in that they could not speak English. They were willing to work towards success and overcome their disadvantage. The Black population had a 10 year head start over them. There is only one Black disadvantage and that is the lack of effort to succeed in anything other than Sport, Entertainment, Politics and Crime. As Alan Sugar, Richard Branson and the Asian Community have shown, you can succeed if you try.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Similarly, people say locals getting discount at national parks is racist, when it obviously not. 

It's not a discount. It's non-Thais, many holding work permits and paying tax, being hugely overcharged. Who then go on to boycott national parks in Thailand.

I'm English. If I visit the Tower of London, I pay the same as Thai visitors. Otherwise it'd be discrimination. And illegal.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Tell me how white people suffer disadvantage from racism. I'm not interested in hurt feelings from name calling, I'm interested in real consequences at a systemic level.

White schoolkids (especially male) are now the least likely (per capita) demographic to go to university in the UK. They tick no diversity boxes, so don't get any special help. They also have the lowest social mobility.

Only 1 in 3 go on to university, compared to nearly half for black students.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/education-skills-and-training/higher-education/entry-rates-into-higher-education/latest

Actual direct discrimination can happen. A friend of mine's husband is Indian (as is she) and an IT manager. He will only hire Indian workers, partly because as an Indian, he feels it's his duty to help other Indians, and partly because he doesn't think non-Indians would fit in the the culture of an Indian team. That's completely illegal here, but his company (quite a large one) will never complain.

Edited by RichardL
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

White people do suffer disadvantage if they are poor. That is a known fact, but many by their own efforts rise above it and make something of their lives. Two well known Brits without a high education and privalege, started life as market stall barrow boys. Their names Lord Alan Sugar and Sir Richard Branson. (Branson is a known dislexic). The Asian population I pointed out had a far bigger disadvantage than the Black population; in that they could not speak English. They were willing to work towards success and overcome their disadvantage. The Black population had a 10 year head start over them. There is only one Black disadvantage and that is the lack of effort to succeed in anything other than Sport, Entertainment, Politics and Crime. As Alan Sugar, Richard Branson and the Asian Community have shown, you can succeed if you try.

Racist BS

On 12/19/2021 at 2:57 PM, Jingthing said:

A loaded question.

Being a racist and being considered a racist are different things.

We would need to know a lot more detail about your criteria for liking and disliking to give any substantive responses.

We’d also have to care. Racists pass through all our lives. I’m always happy when a racist has passed.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, Chris.B said:

" I left troubled Thatcherite Britain in the early eighties "

Op clearly has a far leftist agenda and 'Woke' with it. ☹️

Surely Thatcher thought early eighties Britain was a troubled place which is why she implemented so much change. So not leftist at all just observant. 

10 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Pay more at National parks, can't buy land, overcharged at hospitals...

Dual pricing is found in many places around the world. When I lived in Venice tourists paid 7 euros for waterbus rides - residents 1.30; Doge's palace price was 18 euros - locals free; free wifi for residence - 5 euros for tourists etc; Rome was also guilty of the same kind of price hikes as were some other European cities I lived in.  E-commerce has definite dual pricing on products such as video games and accomodation. 

Its not racism, its business. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

It's not a discount. It's non-Thais, many holding work permits and paying tax, being hugely overcharged. Who then go on to boycott national parks in Thailand.

I'm English. If I visit the Tower of London, I pay the same as Thai visitors. Otherwise it'd be discrimination. And illegal.

There are places in England that give local discount, as in Australia -  I paid 5,000 baht more than an Australian friend at Royal Melbourne golf course, and about 3000 baht more than a Yank friend at Disneyworld.

I don't want Thailand to become like London. The last time I lived near the Tower, in Whitechappel, it looked like Bangladesh. 

Edited by Neeranam

5 minutes ago, siamshakespeare said:

Dual pricing is found in many places around the world.

Do two wrongs make a right?

It is business while it is allowed..... and as I live here in Thailand I would hope it was not applied to me, but it is. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Do two wrongs make a right?

It is business while it is allowed..... and as I live here in Thailand I would hope it was not applied to me, but it is. 

It quite simple, if you want the benefits of being Thai, change your nationality, I did. However, it isn't all better being Thai. 

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There are places in England that give local discount, as in Australia -  I paid 5,000 baht more than an Australian friend at Royal Melbourne golf course, and about 3000 baht more than a Yank friend at Disneyworld.

I don't want Thailand to become like London. The last time I lived near the Tower, in Whitechappel, it looked like Bangladesh. 

You don't want Thailand to have lots of Asians living in Thailand or you don't want many foreigners to live in Thailand ?

17 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

This is not racist.

They don't understand what racism is, they all live in a state of denial and are reduced to citing petty examples which aren't even relevant to avoid having to confront the elephant in the room. It's pointless arguing with these people. What you will never get them to do is even admit that real racism where the majority white population, of which they are a member, enjoys a privileged position in society vs the minorities. They need to deny it even exists or engage in petty examples of whataboutism to diminish the problem..

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I would if you'd post a link. I can't find one so I'll remain skeptical of that claim. Meanwhile your post appears to make the assertion that everyone has racist tendencies and therefore normalises racism. I reject that notion out of hand.

I don’t reject that notion completely!

I don’t consider myself racist…I don’t have to work at it I’m just not racist!

However there will be those that would point to some little thing I’ve said or perhaps even done and tell me I am a racist!

They seem to work very hard at keeping racism alive for some reason! Perhaps it’s simply to excuse their lack of confidence, success or motivation!

There are lots of people I don’t like! I don’t like them because of the way they talk…their negative attitude…the way they behave…the way they look…their lack of honesty..even the way they sound or smell!  I’m not alone….we’re not expected to like everybody…I’m quiet about my dislikes and I don’t think that’s racism

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They don't understand what racism is, they all live in a state of denial and are reduced to citing petty examples which aren't even relevant to avoid having to confront the elephant in the room. It's pointless arguing with these people. What you will never get them to do is even admit that real racism where the majority white population, of which they are a member, enjoys a privileged position in society vs the minorities. They need to deny it even exists or engage in petty examples of whataboutism to diminish the problem..

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

We’d also have to care. Racists pass through all our lives. I’m always happy when a racist has passed.

So you’ve never had a thought pass thru your mind that someone might think was racist? I know I have but it lacked the intent to be disrespectful 

12 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Richard Branson was never a barrow boy and grew up with great privilege. He was a public schoolboy at Stowe School, his father a barrister and grandfather a privy councillor, high court judge and knight of the realm. He wasn't academically gifted so turned his hand to publishing a student magazine and through that he sold mail order records. His signing of Mike Oldfield to his new record label when no one else would touch him proved a master stroke. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Everybody laughs about it all - it's very interesting - but "everyone is racist" - it's a white liberal invention - I simply don't buy it. It is completely unproven and seems to have been adopted by the left, rejected by the right and is now one of the "standard issues you must feel a certain way about" on both sides.

Absolutely. It's either one or the opposite in today's wokeness. 

Look at that <deleted> who was fired from UK morning TV. Although a total ****, I am with him this time. 

Even Ozzy's wife was attacked as racist just for standing up for him. 

Huge topic, and slightly trollish OP. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No thank you.....

Exactly. 

We have choices and when it comes down to it, many here don't want to give up their priveleges, and feel entitled and actually show reverse racism, through being brought up in a Colonial society. 

13 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Out of a discount. Tourists pay the full price, nor reduced, which is fair enough. 

When I was a foreigner, I was only asked to pay full price once in 27 years. I got in for the discounted price for showing my DL, or speaking Thai, my friendly banter, or for showing my pink ID.