Thailand may cancel Test & Go due to Omicron: Anutin

webfact

38 minutes ago, Oracle2022 said:

Its not trying to stop the spread..........

Its about slowing it down and making it manageable.

If 30 million people in Thailand get Omicron at a rate of 50,000 per day thats manageable.

If 30 million people in Thailand get Omicron at 250,000 people per day, that will create a massive massive problem and many people will die who might not otherwise.

Lockdowns, quarantines, curfews..........its all about managing the situation.  They will never stop the spread, but they can delay it and slow it down and make it easier to handle.

Well, they have made it easier to handle for 2 years.  Only (insert number here) to go............

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't know if it is the same case  but there is also a report on the BP website of 1 person who came in under T&G, tested negative and then a few days later tested positive. Apparently this one case was what prompted MoPH to propose stopping T&G.

I just found another one, maybe this is the one being referred to? 

Officially 63 cases of #Omicron found in Thailand. At least one local transmission reported (spouse of a pilot). Thailand to step up control measures. To consider suspending “Test and Go” for foreign arrivals and bring back quarantine. Stay tuned…

https://twitter.com/Thai_Talk/status/1472824965313433602

Taken from this Thai article https://thestandard.co/coronavirus-omicron-20122021/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One of many pressing questions.

Impossible to say, we have to await announcement.

They will certainly have a credibility problem going forward if they do not honor existing approved TPs -- and create chaos for hotels etc -- but with this bunch it is possible.

You would think they would give notice and delay this until Jan 3ish to give people time to get back.

but as you say, who knows with this lot 

Hopefully Phuket sandbox remains available, but I can’t really be bothered with that lark again. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One of many pressing questions.

Impossible to say, we have to await announcement.

They will certainly have a credibility problem going forward if they do not honor existing approved TPs -- and create chaos for hotels etc -- but with this bunch it is possible.

Probably not.

I had the pleasure on May 6th. The quarantine was raised from 10 to 14 days again. Unfortunately, I was a day late. I had to book an additional 4 days of quarantine, at that time still with COE. Good luck for you.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Which means it's already here (unless they quarantined the whole plane including the crew).

There were rumours of some people being held up previously, as they had been sat near persons who tested positive... so either possibility.

1 hour ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Nope.

0.89% of 2019 figures and about to dwindle even more after even the possible mention of this quarantine.

One poster even thought Thailand could keep omicron out.

????

i would think a mad rush to get in if a threat of long term shut down. if i was overseas and wanted to get in i would be pushing right now.  but i suppose the pushy people are already here??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They probably don't want to remove individual countries from their Test & Go list, because that would look "offensive" to countries such as the UK where Omicron is surging but where many of Thailand's recent arrivals have been coming from. So scrapping the scheme altogether for the time being might look like the best course of action to delay the inevitable. I'm not surprised, I think it was bound to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

They probably don't want to remove individual countries from their Test & Go list, because that would look "offensive" to countries such as the UK where Omicron is surging but where many of Thailand's recent arrivals have been coming from. So scrapping the scheme altogether for the time being might look like the best course of action to delay the inevitable. I'm not surprised, I think it was bound to happen.

UK today, many countries will follow. They would be amending that list very regularly and it would be impractical.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, James105 said:

Unless I am mistaken people were dying before covid and will continue to do so after covid and unless some well meaning idiot invents the cure to death this is inevitable for everyone. 

"If 30 million people in Thailand get Omicron at 250,000 people per day"

Where did this bonkers number come from?   

sniff sniff!   I smell an anti vaxxer ????

25 minutes ago, bananafish said:

63 confirmed cases, probably all asymptomatic, but SOME may lead to the sniffles. 

Omicron is the end of the pandemic, the sooner it becomes the dominant variant, the better.

Open up everything now. It's time to revert ALL measures to 2019 standards. 

I hope your assessment is correct but still too early to be sure, Governments want to open but cant afford to get it wrong

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Willy Wombat said:

Boris got busted getting on the <deleted> when everyone else was in hard lockdown.

So let’s make Omicron worse than any other disease even though only a handful of people have died in two months from OMICRON

With, not from the Moronic variant. Please don’t spread misinformation ????

• Like 1

The biggest percentage of Omicron cases are actually returning Thai, or Mecca (Thai) tourists returning. The one case they refer too, after 2 x PCR, is surely a one off. If this happens they need to give a forward date, or at least make sure people are refunded.