Did you graduate from Princeton or Yale? If so, can we start a conversation here?

GammaGlobulin

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Personally, I do know some guys on this forum who graduated from Princeton.

You might be surprised how many guys here are from the Ivy League.

As a person who may or may not be a Brown graduate, I'm a little skeptical about this.

Elite colleges tend to have two kinds of students: actually bright people, and legacy/privilege admissions from wealthy or notable families. Neither type seems to be particularly common on this forum.

My first boss had saying: "Real recognize real. But that also means that real recognize(s) fake."

• Like 2

Strangely enough, very many years ago, no one really cared about the snob appeal of prestige universities.

Those were the days when most people just drove a Lincoln Continental, and almost no one sported an XK-E.

Many years ago, almost anyone could attend an Ivy League school, even without good grades, and even if one were poor, and even if one had a criminal record..

As long as you had a heartbeat, unies like Cornell and Brown would be sure to take you.

These days are different.

These days, there are so many guys and girls from Asia who wish to attend an Ivy League school.

Also, it seems that almost everybody is walking around with shirts and blouses emblazoned with the names of Harvard, Princeton, Penn State, and Ted Bundy, not to mention Columbia.

Personally, I am not sure why they accepted me.

But, I am very glad they did.

For one thing, I never attended due to the so-called prestige factor.

And, I never enrolled due to the Sot-Weed Factor, either.

130290.jpg.48bbfedc12c645a1ae7337b53fa87047.jpg

John Barth (pronounced "bart") taught at Penn State, as I recall, and not at Penn.

Why did I attend?

Maybe just for the beauty of it.

In fact, there is great beauty in the sacred Ivy Halls of learning.

There are now so many from Asia who seek to gain admittance to these hallowed halls.

But, why?

The University of Minnesota is a dynamite research institution.

I really doubt that most Asian students, and certainly no American students, care very much about the beauty of the Ivy, nor the beauty of science, not to mention their disdain for reading books.

I received a dynamite education at various schools, some Ivy, but, really, you would not know it if you knew me, or spoke to me for more than two minutes.

I think that all Ivy schools are OK.

But, I draw the line at Cornell.

Something about either New York or the Cornell architecture turns me off.

The buildings at Cornell seem sort of like a prison complex, minus the bars.

Dartmouth is nice, though.

During the winter months, you don't need a refrigerator.

You can hang your beer from a sack outside your window, and it stays very cold.

Most people soak up a lot of culture while attending an Ivy school.

I did, as well.

One thing surprises me is how few Ivy schools actually exist in the world, or in our solar system.

Some say there are 9.

And, some say there are 9 planets orbiting around the Sun.

Actually, there are only 8 planets in our solar system, once we get rid of Pluto.

And, there are 8 Ivy schools, in fact.

However, I would say that the Ivy League should probably get rid of Cornell University, so that we could have a lucky 7.

Also, I have always thought that Cornell never measured up to a university such as Brown.

Maybe we should downgrade Brown, too, and just think of Brown as a minor body, like Eris or Makemake.

Still, if education is the thing you love most, then I would encourage you to submit your application to an Ivy school.

There is much to be said for tradition.

Or, maybe you might prefer Bryn Mawr College.

The women there are amazing, and also nice.

Pretty sure that I will not be matriculating at Bryn Mawr any time soon.

The women at Bryn Mawr are scary smart.

Smart is fine with me.

I know that there are those in Thailand who do not prefer smart women from Bryn Mawr.

Glob

Note:  The guy who wrote Giles Goat Boy must have been one sick puppy.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

CalTech is a boutique school

CalTech is no boutique school.

Ivy league is not capitalized.

I graduated from a second tier school. Many ivy league undergrads would do semester / year there.

I've sent dozens of Thai students to top 50 universities QS (world) ranked including Columbia and Cambridge.

What's the point of the post?

UC Berkeley is a great school despite it leaning so far to the left it might fall over itself.

Not ivy.

Dozens of great liberal arts colleges now out of favor. Perhaps too woke. Middlebury, Williams, Grinnel, Oberlin, Colby, blah blah blah.

My aunt, uncle went to Middlebury. Cousins to Harvard, Duke and Oberlin.

You can get a solid education at a community college you pay the hell attention.

Edited by TheScience

22 minutes ago, TheScience said:

CalTech is no boutique school.

Ivy league is not capitalized.

I graduated from a second tier school. Many ivy league undergrads would do semester / year there.

I've sent dozens of Thai students to top 50 universities QS (world) ranked including Columbia and Cambridge.

What's the point of the post?

Sorry.

By definition, CalTech is a boutique school with relatively few students, and one which serves a very narrow and well-defined purpose.

CalTech is among the best.

Probably the best that the USA has to offer, in fact.

(Only my opinion.  Please feel free to disagree.)

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you are really interested to communicate with those guys, why don't you join some forums (or whatever they have over there) from those Ivy League places? 

You are in a Thai forum, or more precise the Farang Pub, which is supposed to be for: fun, entertainment and Expat life.

If you would share picture of hot Thai university girls from the Ivy League then maybe it would fit here. But otherwise...

5bae2dc52600003600811f31.jpeg?ops=scalef

Shouldn't bother, as he truly doesn't get it. 

Deluded.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

By definition, CalTech is a boutique school with relatively few students, and one which serves a very narrow and well-defined purpose.

Yeah, that's called a small school.

What is offered there is hardly narrow. Especially true at graduate level.

I think every student there would have issue with your term 'boutique'. Further, it's really not... there's nothing fashionable about it.  It's not bespoke learning. You make it out to be the LVMH of higher education or some such rubbish.

38 minutes ago, TheScience said:

I think every student there would have issue with your term 'boutique'. Further, it's really not... there's nothing fashionable about it.  It's not bespoke learning. You make it out to be the LVMH of higher education or some such rubbish.

Sorry.

The term boutique, in this case, as it applies to colleges or specialized tech schools, has nothing to do with Gucci fashion.

I think that if you google it, you might find the term boutique as applied to CalTech. I DO know that I have seen this term applied to CalTech in the media, for very good reason.  But, as i say, please do not take it from this horse's mouth.

Or, you might contact the administrar's office at CalTech, and ask if they do not consider themselves a very specialized school, and even a boutique school.

Sorry that I cannot inform you further.

Because, as you know, it is almost impossible to change anyone's opinion through plain logic, or facts.

In order to change opinion and beliefs, one must apply to emotions.

Anyway, you can take from this horse that I have seen CalTech referred to as a boutique school, and accurately as such.

(Please feel free to disagree.)

51 minutes ago, TheScience said:

I did not mean that anyone at CalTech was narrow minded, or that students are not free to roam widely.

However, please check out the enrollment.

Undergrads.... 948

Total students..... 2,233

Academic staff 300 professorial 

Get a grip, please, consider that boutique, in this case, has nothing to do with fashion.

In fact, CalTech is not as fashionable as you thought.

Wow!

And you thought I was the horse?

1 hour ago, chippendale said:

So much incoherent waffle by the OP in one short thread.

Are you using the term waffle in the British sense?

Or, the North American sense?

Because, some say that you and I might be separated by a common language.

Yet, I disagree that you and I are divided by much, other than that your English is better than mine, so true.

More interesting, though, have you ever used the term wiffle-waffle?

In Montreal, waffles are served with syrup made from maple trees..

The syrup is produced from a tree that looks like this.....

800px-Acer_saccharum.jpg.e5efbd9dffa47d6fa6edb8aca975aa1f.jpg

O Canada!

Our home and native land!

True patriot love in all of us command.

(Canada is a wonderful country with amazingly kind and considerate people.)

So, which university is considered to be the Harvard of the north?

Obviously, McGill.

I have been there.

I even studied there.

The teachers there are amazing.

McGill-MBA-1.png.3ca16c6928129b68b16baa9de7e9e252.png

On the down side, the food is not spectacular.

The cuisine consists mostly of Inuit bannock fried bread and Canadian peameal bacon.

When the St. Lawrence freezes in Quebec, it's a spectacular sight to look down on the ice from Chateau Frontenac.

274332974_Chteau_Frontenac_02(1).jpg.8eeb692ab8c510794b16e70389a3af90.jpg

I was here....

50 years ago.

French was the lingua franca at that time.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

My education would probably, maybe, surprise you. I attended 2 UK universities. One significantly more highbrow than the other. I got there on merit not family btw.

Whats does it matter? I am a retired old man who in this stage of life likes to drink copiously and swear out loud and do all kinds of odd things my neighbours deign naff. I like cheap beer. What has my past to do with who I am now? The price of a bowl of rice with topping is the same to us all, is it not? 

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So, which university is considered to be the Harvard of the north?

Obviously, McGill.

I have been there.

I even studied there.

The teachers there are amazing.

McGill-MBA-1.png.3ca16c6928129b68b16baa9de7e9e252.png

On the down side, the food is not spectacular.

The cuisine consists mostly of Inuit bannock fried bread and Canadian peameal bacon.

When the St. Lawrence freezes in Quebec, it's a spectacular sight to look down on the ice from Chateau Frontenac.

274332974_Chteau_Frontenac_02(1).jpg.8eeb692ab8c510794b16e70389a3af90.jpg

I was here....

50 years ago.

French was the lingua franca at that time.

University of Toronto

A man of letters such as yourself I'd think this would be clearly known

On 12/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, simon43 said:

I see only a couple of the universities mentioned so far make the world's top 10 universities:

QS World University Rankings 2022: Top Global Universities | Top Universities

As a Brit, I'm happy that my college does make the top 10 ???? .  But I prefer to discuss Asian women, food and the pleasures of life in this sub-forum, and leave the rocket science out of it ...

I'm a disappointing 16th in that list. 

There should be a Scots uni in the top 10, it's a fix. Everyone in the UK know they have better unis than England ????

The Queen sent her kids to school in Scotland, Ed was the same age as me, some funny stories there when we played Gordonstoun at cricket and rugby. 

The future king Willy went to St Andrews. 

On 12/21/2021 at 12:25 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

I have never found it particularly odd that guys who have graduated from premier schools seem to gravitate to the Pub forum.

After all, being in Thailand, and similarly being alienated from intellectual stimulation, it is only to be expected that smart guys would eventually find us here, on the Pub. 

Might I even say that this Pub forum has become rather somewhat of a fraternity for the intellectually gifted members of the Farang society in Thailand.

Schools such as Harvard are basically slouch schools compared to CalTech, of course.

I wish I could just meet someone from CalTech on this Pub Forum, in fact.

CalTech is a boutique school reserved for the super smart, as probably everybody knows.

Still, even smart guys sometimes feel the need to get down and dirty with lessor mortals such as we.

The reason I have posted this is because.....

My landlady.

She did not graduate from a school like the University of Toronto, or McGill.

Instead, she attended a backwater school, and I find her mostly obtuse in all respects.

I don't know much, but I find it frustratingly difficult to communicate, in any meaningful way, with those who just don't "get it".

I mean...so much wasted time....trying to explain the very obvious.

Patience is so important when speaking to those who might be on a very different intellectual level.

All of humanity has intrinsic value.

However, some of humanity just gets it.

And, some do not.

Maybe you have noticed this, too.

FYI:  ASEAN Now provides the option of "ignoring" users who consistently post content that serves no purpose other than entertaining themselves (and only themselves).

On 12/22/2021 at 10:43 PM, Neeranam said:

I don't know what the Ivy League is but these US unis. mentioned can't be so good as the are quite recent. My first uni. is over 500 years old, and my high school, where Lord Byron went, is over 750 years old. 

.....and yet you still ended up here with us savages. 

The irony should not be lost on you.

• Confused 1