British man chased by Thai with a knife after he refuses to buy him a beer

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a very unusual occurrence. In all the years I have lived in Thailand, I have never encountered anything like this. I have been threatened a few times by hothead Thais in Samui, but nothing ever came of it, and they backed down. Most Thais are not like this. This is one of the things many of us enjoy so much about Thailand. 

Situations can develop and it may be that whitey disrespected the Thai guy and <deleted> him off. It can be a fine line between toleration and abuse. I've been in many situations over the years where everyone has been wasted and some guys can be very persistent in their annoyance. Best just to humour them and if that means sharing a beer then so be it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

He should have bought him a beer and immediately left the premises.  I know trouble when I see it.

If you bother to read the story he only had money on him to buy cigarettes, the other Thais invited him over and brought him a beer.

• Like 1

Well He can certainly run that's for sure, lets hope it all gets sorted OK, the cops should make the perb. buy him a box of beer, then they could all sit down together with the cops and get pished. The cops should also drug test the perb coz my guess he was on Yabba.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, webfact said:

Eventually the Brit stood up and told the man to go home.

To defuse the situation one of the Thais present fronted up the price of a beer. 

This is what caused the problem. British Jack, bigger and taller, stood up and told the smaller Thai man to go home. Jack created a confrontation. But he got his wish. The Thai guy went home--and came back with his equalizer. It wasn't Jack's job to tell the guy to go home. And it wasn't smart. And now Jack cowers in his room, afraid to come outside. Might have been better to remain seated and then regretfully made a quiet exit.

21 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Had a similar thing happen to me. I didn't run and confronted him but I was armed with a similar weapon. Always carry some weapon with you. They back down soon enough. 

Never carry a weapon unless you're prepared to use it. Not a good idea here as self defense or not you'll end up locked up, or paying a lot of money not to be...

19 hours ago, SportRider said:

Not a good idea if this is a favourite watering hole....  just teaches the Thai guy he can pop along for a free beer any time he likes.

Not that I ever did this, but in my years in Thailand I heard people say many times that drinking with Thai men wasn't a good idea.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:25 AM, mokwit said:

More than once I have had some [usually drunken] Thai come up to me and demand money as it were some entitlement I had flown to Thailand just to give him.

This surprises me, I have never had a problem with any Thai guys in the 15 years

I have lived here.

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

One Thai, that's all.   Unless you're suggesting that all Thais are drunken, knife-wielding thugs?

Hmmm! The big question is. Are you suggesting that I am suggesting that?

No, it was a question.  The bigger question is why did you not see the question mark?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

This surprises me, I have never had a problem with any Thai guys in the 15 years

I have lived here.

Some is more likely to experience trouble than others. 

Same as you, but seen quite a few in trouble, and can not think of one incident they where not to blaim themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Some is more likely to experience trouble than others. 

Same as you, but seen quite a few in trouble, and can not think of one incident they where not to blaim themselves. 

As a non drinker I don't go into bars, so I'm unlikely to see any farangs in trouble with Thais.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:25 AM, mokwit said:

More than once I have had some [usually drunken] Thai come up to me and demand money as it were some entitlement I had flown to Thailand just to give him.

Never once in over 30 years has that happened to me or anybody I know. I have been politely approached by sad, poor beggars in Thailand and other countries. I don't believe stories of aggressive beggars as being in anyways normal or a Thai phenomenon. Total rubbish.

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I was just walking down the street [after dark, quite late] when some obviously drunk Thai blocks my path and puts his hand out and says "money", and I caused it? I get so tired of this "well he must have caused it". Next you'll be telling me it is because I don't understand Thai culture. I've lived here since 19 'effin 95. Yes people get themselves in trouble because they act inappropriately or don't recognise danger signals, but the assumption that this is always the case is just "billhooks".

I said my experience, I have also been asked for money, and experienced drunks and people on drugs, but so far no serious incidents. Same as I have experienced in other countries, so far all good. 

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Never once in over 30 years has that happened to me or anybody I know. I have been politely approached by sad, poor beggars in Thailand and other countries. I don't believe stories of aggressive beggars as being in anyways normal or a Thai phenomenon. Total rubbish.

If that is your experience, by all means say so, but to insinuate someone with a different experience is lying is very offensive and arrogant. Where have you lived, "village"? The experience I described was on lower Sukhumvit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

If that is your experience, by all means say so, but to insinuate someone with a different experience is lying is very offensive and arrogant. Where have you lived, "village"? The experience I described was on lower Sukhumvit.

Ah lower Suk. There are a few belligerent, slightly deranged Lady boy hustler gangs there I'll grant you that but the factors that make up that scenario are atypical. So don't hang out there so much. I think the begging front you describe is a distraction ploy for potential pick pocketing..But this petty criminality is no way representative of begging here in Thailand.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

don't hang out there so much.

How would I have got home then considering i live in the low sois? It wasn't a Ladyboys and I am well aware of distraction ploys, but this was neither 'KAY?.

Please don't extrapolate rural villages to a big city - small villages in Brazil are pretty safe.

I remember when I said to the THAI CEO of a company I worked for that central Bangkok is very safe (relative to many cities it is exceedingly so), he was very careful to make me understand that I should not extrapolate that to the rest of Bangkok - I think he specifically said don't go wondering around Bang Khe, but hey, what would he know?

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But this petty criminality is no way representative of begging here in Thailand.

I have very cordial relationships with lower Sukhumvit beggars, thank you - some have granted me 'special exemption' from being asked for money, we just exchange greetings. .

There is a group that sleeps on the pavement near Soi 5 that look rough, but actually don't bother anybody at all, and on the occasion that they have their hand out it is low key, and certainly not aggressive or threatening. I have had to politely decline offers to sit and eat with them after the food distribution people have been 'round.

13 minutes ago, mokwit said:

How would I have got home then

There is something called common sense? 

When in any bigger cities, you do not walk home, you take a taxi, especially if you have to pass curtain areas! Right?

When I was In Brazil, I was explained very detailed and carefully where to walk and not to walk, and guess what? Those who got robbed and mugged did not pay attention to the warnings.

If you do not want to be approached by beggars, take taxi home! 

Seems you take this thread a little bit to seriously, but there is good advises coming with it.

Edited by Hummin

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

When in any bigger cities, you do not walk home, you take a taxi, especially if you have to pass curtain areas! Right?

When I was In Brazil, I was explained very detailed and carefully where to walk and not to walk, and guess what? Those who got robbed and mugged did not pay attention to the warnings.

Seems you take this thread a little bit to seriously, but there is good advises coming with it.

Thanks, I didn't walk in Brazilian cities, but I don't think Lower Sukhumvit is so dangerous that you need to go everywhere by Taxi. Please don't tell me I am lacking in common sense when I live in that area and go about my business there every day and have for decades- almost entirely, but not completely without incident. I have seen far more violence in quaint English market towns.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

In my almost 20 years in Thailand that worked well for me. Also, if we're visibly drunk we become even more of a 'target'.