Test and Go: Tourists who received QR code can still enter Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Wouldn't it have been enough to let the TP program continue to run and also to install the test for everyone on the 7th day on top?

In which case just revert to 7 days quarantine, as that's probably the only way to manage or control a 2nd test ?

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your view and again not a holiday, but I will agree to disagree, and When i fly I fly in a suite, first class, wear my mask and still social distance. Enjoy your view that you would impose on others and not on those who you deem healthy.

Well, I doubt that Omicron avoids first class any more than it avoids restaurants until alcohol is served. I'd be more concerned about what happens between leaving the plane and getting back on it if I was you, given the way Omicron is absolutely skyrocketing in the US. 

I'm not imposing anything. But maybe it's best to practice what you preach in future because you appear to be putting yourself (and others if you bring it back with you) at quite substantial risk for just a holiday.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nothing makes one immune to any virus except your vaccinations and immune system, even then you may or may not get sick or get it so bad you may die.  Nothing is certain in this life except death and taxes.  After two years of this constant disruption, and if we have learned anything, the virus will be amongst us just like all of the viruses that before now never killed millions, yet those days are dwindling as folks being vaccinated have helped get a foothold on a new immunity for their bodies.  Even being quarantined for 7 days or 14 days does not mean you can not be infected, as it has happened here once already and elsewhere as well.

Quaratine of 7/10/14 days greatly reduces the risk of more Covid entering Thailand - fact.

It's now too late.

My point is either do nothing at all or do it properly, not half assed.

As someone has mentioned you seem to have changed your tune as your one of the people holding a QR code for return, unfortunately ( for you ) i'm sure this will change shortly as cases go through the roof and it'll be back to everyone doing quarantine. I can soon see HKT sandbox getting shut down too, it also makes no sense to remain open, when Omicron arrives there they'll soon be crying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mancub said:

In which case just revert to 7 days quarantine, as that's probably the only way to manage or control a 2nd test ?

As I understand that the 200K already registered Test and Go tourists can enter as before. Just have to do an additional PCR test on the 7th day. Until then, they had already been tested twice (before departure and upon arrival). Then why is the test and go program stopped? But let the 200K in as before in the near future. It doesn't make sense to stop or interrupt the program. Surely there wouldn't be millions of additional tourists either. But as before, around 150K per month. With a positive rate of 0.1 to 0.2 that would be around 150 tradable cases, as Dr. Kiatphoom Wongjarit himself has confirmed. I don't understand the logic of suspending the program.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

With a positive rate of 0.1 to 0.2 that would be around 150 tradable cases, as Dr. Kiatphoom Wongjarit himself has confirmed. I don't understand the logic of suspending the program.

That 0.1 to 0.2% are people testimg positive on arrivall and they never make it out of Test & Go so tracing not an issue.

The concern is people who might have tested negative both prior to departure and again on arrival yet nonetheless be harboring an importwd ibfection.(would have had to be contracted right before departure or on the plane). This percentage would surely be even lower.  

They made a huge mistake in never  really implementing the planned day 5 ATK for Test & Go. Had they done so rhey'd have considerable information to go by re numbers slipping through the pre departure PCR and PCR on arrival net. As it is they have no idea.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am one of those who have not left Thailand yet, will leave in a few weeks and then return in February, but already have applied and been approved for my Test N Go QR code.  Hotel has even confirmed, based upon the news yesterday, by e-mail everything is still in place for my return.

Same as me travel on 29th

Will the hotel contact about paying for a 2nd PCR test?

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now there are 15% infections of Omicron, and they expect at the end of this week it will be 50% and at the end of next week the dominant strain.  Just to show how quickly the Omicron spreads. So what will happen here at the New Years Eve parties???

In Belgium and Germany right now new cases are 30% down on a weekly basis. Doesn't look like Omicron is taking Europe by storm. It's the usual 2-month roller-coaster with neighbouring countries slightly out of phase.

Covid is stubburn but it keeps exercising its right not to fullfill worst-case scenarios.

• Like 1

The full English text of the official announcement is on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). Points 1 and 2 apply to this topic.

Announcement:

Thailand Pass will be closed for all new Test and Go and Sandbox applications (except Phuket Sandbox),
starting from 00.00 hrs. on 22 December 2021 until further notice.

New measures apply for all applicants on Thailand Pass, as follows;

1. Applicants who have received their Thailand Pass QR Code can enter Thailand under the scheme they have registered.

2. Applicants who have registered, but have not received their QR Code must wait for their Thailand Pass to be considered / approved. Once approved, they can enter Thailand under the scheme they have registered.

3. New applicants will not be able to register for Test and Go and Sandbox measures (except Phuket Sandbox). Thailand Pass will only accept new applicants seeking to enter Thailand under Alternative Quarantine (AQ) or Phuket Sandbox only.

4. Passengers who will arrive in Thailand under Test and Go and Sandbox Programme must undergo their 2nd COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR technique (not ATK self-test) at government-designated facilities (no additional cost).

Source: https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/ระบบ-thailand-pass-จะปิดรับการลงทะเบียน-สำหรับการเ?cate=5ddbe42115e39c4768007e1d

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now there are 15% infections of Omicron, and they expect at the end of this week it will be 50% and at the end of next week the dominant strain.  Just to show how quickly the Omicron spreads. So what will happen here at the New Years Eve parties???

Do not be afraid the virus will also spread in factories, construction sites, buses, trains, markets, restaurants, offices and hospitals. It is best to lock self up at home and cover all windows and door gaps with tape and wait 3 months with sufficient supplies; if you don't have to go out to work to earn food for the family. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

they will now have to have TWO more RT-PCR tests in Thailand not just one. 

This means more expense and possibly waiting for tourists, notes ASEAN NOW.

1 hour ago, gungadin1 said:

All of yesterday's announcements said that there would be no cost for the second test, though of course it's entirely possible that they might end up backpedaling on that - if they can even figure out where and how thousands of people spread across the entire country can show up to be tested.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I hate to say I saw the potential writing on the wall and so I applied when my 90 day window came up as I had already booked my flight out and back since the US had lifted restrictions in November

Your big problem may be trying to get a PCR test result back 72 hours before your flight back. Some places it is taking up to 168 hours. 

I would like to know what percentage on the post arrival 2nd PCR test is positive when the 1st test is negative?

under Thai pass, those 36 positive foreigners would have captured on the first and only required test….

A 2nd test and 7 day quarantine are not needed if the Pre and post PCR tests are negative….

what are you gaining from a transmission/conversion standpoint other than generating unnecessary costs to the customer?

90 day window? What does that mean? One can apply for the Thai pass within 90 days of arrival in Thailand?

will assume Thai Pass will resume again when this gov over reaction subsides…

Edited by cardinalblue

2 hours ago, Niteowl45 said:

The point of letting in the 200,000 that, like me, already applied (I literally got my thai pass last night) is not so much to get tourists, as much as the fact that to get the thai pass we booked flights and spent money on hotels, insurance and testing...

If at the last minute they void their thai pass, and make us lose a bunch of money in the process, it probably won't motivate us, or anybody else for that matter, to try to plan vacations over there in the future. Why would anybody go through all that again knowing that they can just deny us entry at the last minute?

As it is they are doing plenty of stupid things, imo, but at least they're honoring the thai passes they already issued. If they didn't they would lose face big time.

Having said all that, I agree that voiding those passes would have made more sense from a safety standpoint... but then again it's really a small number. Imo, honoring already issued passes is the right choice.

You are 100% right. People have to be able to book a holiday with a fair degree of certainty that the tables are not going to be turned on them. Even Australia, the most cautious country in the world, is not panicking over Omicron. Sure there are lots of cases and it's highly infectious, but hospital admissions and deaths have not been greatly affected and there is no need to lose the confidence of prospective tourists by once again changing their mind. The Thai government should make a decision and stick with it. We have to learn to live with the virus because it is not going away. If the population is vaccinated, life should be able to proceed as normal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not sure if you said that or not. I'm not going to trawl through all your posts but it just doesn't seem very consistent with your overall stance of ultra caution and constantly reminding everyone to stay safe etc. I guess when you need a holiday this approach can be adjusted a little bit. Piers Morgan was the same.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time, stay safe and don't bring it back to Thailand with you. 

It’s already here and this silly futile attempt to stop it makes no sense. At best it will move the spike in cases a few weeks into the future for no gain and a whole lot of pain. It’s here to stay and nothing will change that. A few infected tourists today will mean absolutely nothing in terms of numbers infected in a few months.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

"This means more expense and possibly waiting for tourists, notes ASEAN NOW"

yes, one more PCR test on the 7th day of hotel quarantine or phuket sandbox, probably around some 1500-2500b.

Of course, cost of the previous 2 other ones (before boarding and on arrival) do add up. 

Thailand pass is still being processed, even those submitted yesterday from afternoon to midnight - some lucky applicants got it already, but there is still 7 days window for getting it. Maybe even 1014 days, taking holidays into consideration. 

Timing is not changing. Most probably now will be faster, because less applications. And there would be reduction allowed countries from now 63. Details should be shortly.

No drama. Along what is happening now in the other countries.

Thailands T&G is far more complicated than in the other countries. They have time now to rethink and streamline, automated (certainly now 5 days is too long for many travelling for business or work), if they want to travel at short notice

Was led to believe the 2nd one done at a government facility 7 days after arrival was free 

2 hours ago, gungadin1 said:

It is supposed to be done at a government facility and free.  No details yet on how this will be arranged and tracked.

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So they're going to let Omicron in AND destroy tourism. Either do it properly or don't do it at all. Letting 200,000 people in before tightening things is mad. It will be too late by then.

I'm happy for those who get to avoid quarantine, but this is a case of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. In fact it's even worse than that, it's knowing that the horse will bolt, waiting until he does so, and then closing the door. 

Omicron is already in the country and more importantly, the first case of 'community transmission' has been found.  Given the rate that Omicron spreads at it will be everywhere in a few weeks, regardless. Its not 200,000, I believe 80,000 or 90,000 have already entered.  If they had closed the borders completely, what would they have achieved?  bought a 2 or 3 week breather? 

They don't usually give a flying &8^& about foreigners and the relatively few tourists that do arrive will not make much difference to the plight of the tourist industry so why do you think they've taken this decision?  Most likely because they've finally realised that if they had caused thousands to lose their flights and fight for refunds, it would do long term damage to business and make the recovery, when it does happen, a lot more difficult. 

They are no doubt aware of the power of social media and thousands of tourists posting their cancellation stories would cause immeasurable damage - I doubt this has been done as an act of kindness.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that there are 200,000 tourists who have already registered and received a QR code prior to the 21st who will be allowed to come under Test and Go and Sandbox,

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But new testing requirements are in place. In addition to being required to have a RT-PCR test 72 hours before coming, two doses of vaccine and insurance they will now have to have TWO more RT-PCR tests in Thailand not just one

A tad confusing...
as it was they had to book into a "safe hotel" while waiting for the result of the Thailand PCR on arrival.

So what happens to them now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10baht said:

Your big problem may be trying to get a PCR test result back 72 hours before your flight back. Some places it is taking up to 168 hours. 

Not an issue as contact has already been made by a family member in the medical field to get it done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bullseye66 said:

You've got to be desperate or stupid to want to fly to Thailand right now. Even if you have a track and go Q code.

I am not desperate, just returning home here in Bangkok after flying outbound to clear up some personal business and no it's not a holiday nor a vacation.

Man survived the Wild Animals several thousand years ago, and thousands of years of Wars, and Smallpox, TB, etc etc. So what we have here now are the "Wild Animals etc" once again. The World needs to open up and by having injections, wearing Masks, when need be, washing hands and Social Distancing, we face the World as we have forever. Please Sirs.

2 hours ago, micmichd said:

Most of them will. If they would not come then all these hustles getting a QR Code and bookings would not have been worth it. 

Agree, but those travelling from the UK also face the unknown as to whether Boris Johnson is going to introduce a further lockdown similar to Tier 2. This would mean no holidays/travel allowed.

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So they're going to let Omicron in AND destroy tourism. Either do it properly or don't do it at all. Letting 200,000 people in before tightening things is mad. It will be too late by then.

I'm happy for those who get to avoid quarantine, but this is a case of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. In fact it's even worse than that, it's knowing that the horse will bolt, waiting until he does so, and then closing the door. 

They are between a rock and a hard place. Either these new regulations that in many ways do not really make sense, or these new regulations but retro-actively meaning they also cancel the 200,000 QR passes already issued, which would cause endless havoc and recriminations in the airlines and tourism sectors, not helping Thailand reputation that's for sure.

Maybe the gvt knows the justification of these new regulations is questionable (Omicron most likely well established in Thailand already; very small numbers of Omicron carriers to be expected from thos 200,000 QR arrivals), but then the gvt has to be seen doing sthg. Remember, it's Thailand, they have to be seen doing sthg (even if not quite reasonable).

Not sure about the numbers, my apologies if not 100% correct, but you get my gist.