WHO Recommends Canceling Holiday Activities Amid Omicron Spread

snoop1130

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

He's advising people not to travel to prevent/slow down the spread. It's actually good advice.

Perhaps if people followed his advice the pace of spread can be slowed and health services won't be overwhelmed. Instead of (for example) flying to the Omicron epicentre of the world (the US) and then using a grandfathered rule to return to Thailand without quarantining.

As a proud Brit i must take umbrage at the bolded point. The UK is quite clearly the hub for Omicrom, albeit your boys are doing their level best to catch us...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

and everybody else on the planet. What's your point? The media should not make money? The drug companies could not make (not would not) make vaccines if they were not profitable. I hope they become insanely rich so they can make more vaccines faster when the virus inevitably mutates because the slow learners won't vaccinate.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit, if a person spends years of their lives studying at university to better their life, they are entitled to a lifestyle way above the average working class, let me just simplify this. If they were making a certain amount before the pandemic and having a good life style which they have worked and studied hard for, then suddenly  their prices go through the roof because of the pandemic, there is a lot wrong with that, although if they are working more hours, they are entitled to extra for that but within reason.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There is nothing wrong with making a profit, if a person spends years of their lives studying at university to better their life, they are entitled to a lifestyle way above the average working class, let me just simplify this. If they were making a certain amount before the pandemic and having a good life style which they have worked and studied hard for, then suddenly  their prices go through the roof because of the pandemic, there is a lot wrong with that, although if they are working more hours, they are entitled to extra for that but within reason.

I agree with your general line of reasoning but it should be remembered that the drug companies are publicly listed companies and all of them have a constitution which mandates them to maximise the returns to their shareholders. That's aid, I hope the US Army makes it's new vaccine formula free to anyone who wants to manufacture it and that wealthy nations donate funding to poorer nations to help them manufacture it or provide the vaccines for free. The prices that pharmaceutical companies charge is obscene and many die because they can't afford the drugs, notably insulin. None of that is an argument against the vaccines themselves.

This is a pandemic which needs global cooperation and a commitment by all governments to prioritise public health. The mantra that the lock downs are severely affecting economies is false. A raging pandemic is likely to be more harmful to an economy than tight controls on public association until more vaccines are available and more people have received them.

Herd immunity has always been shown to be a solution which will never work without an unacceptable human price.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Again, I agree.

Much like the airbags in my car are supposed to protect me. That doesn't mean I drive into a brick wall at 100mph. Omicron is coming for sure, but I'd much rather it came slowly and we don't slip back into lockdown, rather than we all pretend Covid doesn't exist and remove all the shackles overnight, the numbers skyrocket and the government shuts everything again. I just want to keep moving in the right direction and if a few minor inconveniences allow that to happen I will reluctantly accept that. 

For how long will we have to protect the NHS whilst it fails cancers victims, locks its surgeries and refuses to be vaccinated? How many more years of lockdown to protect the NHS?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

For how long will we have to protect the NHS whilst it fails cancers victims, locks its surgeries and refuses to be vaccinated? How many more years of lockdown to protect the NHS?

We were asked for a TWO WEEK lockdown to save the NHS in 2020..but it lasted nearly a year. Now they are threatening another lockdown.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

What is more, the level of (political) control which reaction to the virus has allowed this naturally authoritarian regime to establish over its people will be hard to relinquish.

Permanent "State of Emergency", rule by committees apparently unaccountable to any parliamentary authority...

The WHO has no political control over anyone. They collect advice from the world's medical experts and disseminate that advice. That and provide medical assistance is all they do.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Well in fairness I am really talking about the situation in Thailand since that is where I live and where I am currently, and this is a Thai based forum.

As for your question, I don't believe there should be any more lockdowns, whether that is to protect the NHS (an expression I hate) or for any other reason. 

That is why I believe it is up to the individual to protect themselves by being given the facts (not the scare stories), assessing the risk and then making an informed decision regarding their own actions. If people would take responsibility for themselves and make their own decisions not to take unnecessary risks then we could move away from this paternalistic form of governance and authoritarianism.

We could also move away from lockdowns since the number of cases would fall due to people being more sensible about the risks they take. Not because the government mandates it, but because they take responsibility for their own well being based on the facts. This attitude of "They've relaxed the rules so I'm going to have a massive party, fly around the world for a holiday and let the NHS protect me" is a lovely idea but in reality it just perpetuates the cycle of Freedom, lockdown, freedom, lockdown that we've seen the last 2 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Well in fairness I am really talking about the situation in Thailand since that is where I live and where I am currently, and this is a Thai based forum.

As for your question, I don't believe there should be any more lockdowns, whether that is to protect the NHS (an expression I hate) or for any other reason. 

That is why I believe it is up to the individual to protect themselves by being given the facts (not the scare stories), assessing the risk and then making an informed decision regarding their own actions. If people would take responsibility for themselves and make their own decisions not to take unnecessary risks then we could move away from this paternalistic form of governance and authoritarianism.

We could also move away from lockdowns since the number of cases would fall due to people being more sensible about the risks they take. Not because the government mandates it, but because they take responsibility for their own well being based on the facts. This attitude of "They've relaxed the rules so I'm going to have a massive party, fly around the world for a holiday and let the NHS protect me" is a lovely idea but in reality it just perpetuates the cycle of Freedom, lockdown, freedom, lockdown that we've seen the last 2 years. 

Perhaps you are not aware of the degree of authoritarianism that crept into the UK as a result of enforced and inhuman lockdowns. Wanting to visit a dieing relative is not 'flying around the world having a party' .That silly comment invalidates the rest of what you wrote.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Perhaps you are not aware of the degree of authoritarianism that crept into the UK as a result of enforced and inhuman lockdowns. Wanting to visit a dieing relative is not 'flying around the world having a party' .That silly comment invalidates the rest of what you wrote.

You seem like a very angry man with limited comprehension skills, so I will wish you a good day and leave this discussion since it appears to be a waste of my time ????.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

We were asked for a TWO WEEK lockdown to save the NHS in 2020..but it lasted nearly a year. Now they are threatening another lockdown.

I actually think that this is what will cause Boris to lose the next election - not all the media nonsense about xmas parties - but the publics discontent with continually doing what they have been asked to do during covid, 3 jabs, 2 long lockdowns, mask wearing, etc only to be smack bang at the same place they were last year. 

Problem is though the opposition would be just as hapless, as they voted for it too !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I actually think that this is what will cause Boris to lose the next election - not all the media nonsense about xmas parties - but the publics discontent with continually doing what they have been asked to do during covid, 3 jabs, 2 long lockdowns, mask wearing, etc only to be smack bang at the same place they were last year. 

Problem is though the opposition would be just as hapless, as they voted for it too !

Yes indeed. But if Johnson is right about not locking down and omnicron fades it will be a winner for him especially with Wales and Scotland running scared and locking people up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You seem like a very angry man with limited comprehension skills, so I will wish you a good day and leave this discussion since it appears to be a waste of my time ????.

What a relief but I can't help but think you are projecting your own limited skill set on to me to avoid self examination and furthering your knowledge. As for anger: it's a common and valid reaction in many circumstances and yes people are angry with their political leadership. I'm sure you agree that is good. I am pleased you learnt something from our discourse  Glad to be of help..lol

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

He's advising people not to travel to prevent/slow down the spread. It's actually good advice.

Perhaps if people followed his advice the pace of spread can be slowed and health services won't be overwhelmed. Instead of (for example) flying to the Omicron epicentre of the world (the US) and then using a grandfathered rule to return to Thailand without quarantining.

It’s good advice and common sense at this time but unfortunately Thailand has mistakenly left the door open for people to exploit and potentially infect the country with their grandfathering quarantine. 

Let’s hope the health services don’t get overwhelmed with the inevitable incoming of Omicron as a result and worse case another extended lockdown.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

It’s good advice and common sense at this time but unfortunately Thailand has mistakenly left the door open for people to exploit and potentially infect the country with their grandfathering quarantine. 

Let’s hope the health services don’t get overwhelmed with the inevitable incoming of Omicron as a result and worse case another extended lockdown.  

Exactly. That's why I was hoping for people to take individual repsonsibility and not exploit this loophole that the Thai government has left open because it's clearly going to result in more cases.

Unfortunately there are people who love to tell everyone else what to do but don't practice what they preach. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What a relief but I can't help but think you are projecting your own limited skill set on to me to avoid self examination and furthering your knowledge. As for anger: it's a common and valid reaction in many circumstances and yes people are angry with their political leadership. I'm sure you agree that is good. I am pleased you learnt something from our discourse  Glad to be of help..lol

If you took the time to read and comprehend my posts before you started angrily pounding your keyboard you'd see that we agree on many points.

Unfortunately you seem determined to have an argument as opposed to a discussion which is why there is no point taking the conversation further.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

The WHO has no political control over anyone. They collect advice from the world's medical experts and disseminate that advice. That and provide medical assistance is all they do.

Neither I nor @possum1931 are talking about WHO - the debate had moved on.

Edited by herfiehandbag

Ok so scrap test and go, make a commitment to let the 200,000 people who had already applied through the system carry on with the application and those who had already been approved come as planned. No loop hole there just a fair and responsible response. Whether we agree with this decision or not is irrelevant as its already done.

Since they've decided to take this route however its pulled the rug from under the feet of the tourism industry and those that rely on it yet again and yet again compensation has not been mentioned. 

Then we have the Phuket Sandox still in operation as normal. Still hundreds daily been entering that way from the same countries that were entering via the test and go. The procedure for sandbox entry is a test at the airport and the straight the to SHA hotel to await the results, normally within a few hours, overnight at the latest then that person is free to head out everyday and night to visit where ever they want in Phuket, restaurants, bars etc. If they have Omicron as a result of the test not picking it up then it'll be spread to others quickly who in turn are allowed out of Phuket to infect the rest of Thailand.

The large Phuket new years event has been confirmed with that opera singer and celebrations in Bangla will be busy as in other areas. 

When Omicron is in the wild there is no slow spread, its a tidal wave as evidenced elsewhere, its coming regardless of the measures in place now and the impact will be as bad now or later. The only health benefit that I can see from delaying it is to top up on boosters for everyone but thats a long process. and by the time thats done Omicron will have already entered the community.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

City Hall Cancels New Year Events

BANGKOK, Dec 23 (TNA) — The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) cancels all its New Year events including a prayer gathering during the New Year transition to curb COVID-19.

Bangkok deputy governor Kriangyos Sudlabha said the BMA made the decision as the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) urged organizations to follow the request of the World Health Organization (WHO) for countries to cancel New Year events to protect public health systems because the Omicron variant of COVID-19 was spreading significantly faster than the Delta variant. Besides, Omicron infections were also spreading fast in Thailand, he said.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-848504

• Like 1