Sending a laptop from USA.

graeme72

I'm looking for suggestions for the best (and ideally cheapest) way to send a laptop from the US. I've read that either DHL or Fedex (can't remember which one) create too much expense with customs. Is USPS a viable option - I'm concerned that it will be stolen once in Thailand. 

I've used them all with shipments from the US. With DHL, I've always gotten wacked with the largest customs fees so I never use them any longer. I've had good results with FedEx. I now use the USPS Global facility as it's cheaper, pretty quick, and have always had good results with customs. 

Edited by FarangRimPing
clarify that shipments were from the US
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

completely contrary to my limited experience with them.  DHL and UPS provide the worse & most expensive.

USPS was the best, till I discovered 'freighter' shipping, though takes more than a few weeks.  Need someone stateside to do though.  door to door service ????

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, graeme72 said:

It is made in the USA       https://frame.work/

These look cool but I'm not convinced that's its worth the trouble of importing one.

I get the customization angle, I support the right to repair angle, but it seems quite expensive. I'ts not like you can just pop it into Louis Rosman to get repaired, the parts will need to shipped from the US or am I wrong.

11 hours ago, graeme72 said:

I'm looking for suggestions for the best (and ideally cheapest) way to send a laptop from the US. I've read that either DHL or Fedex (can't remember which one) create too much expense with customs.

The best and cheapest way to send a laptop is to ask somebody coming in Thailand to take the laptop with them.

All courier services create much expenses, with DHL being the most expensive one. You might be made to pay import tax even with USPS regular mail.

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I get the customization angle, I support the right to repair angle, but it seems quite expensive. I'ts not like you can just pop it into Louis Rosman to get repaired, the parts will need to shipped from the US or am I wrong.

concerning the right to repair - we have old Thinkpads which still have spare parts being made in China. Some chinese enthusiasts even make custom motherboards to put newer CPUs into old cases, and replace old TFT LCDs with new better ones - fullHD IPS.

OK, so that is USA only thing.  Do consider, because of that, your 1yr warranty and especially 30day return may not work very well.  Electronics, if having issues, show up quite quick, that 30 day would be almost useless.  Already stated future repair, if staying Thailand could be an issue w/parts.

Base units now (Batch6) starting at ฿34k and pra ฿47.6k + shipping / duty.

Personally I think you can find something here i5 or i7 in the price range and warranty better.

I'm an ASUS fan myself, as they make many of the components many brands use to assemble, instead of just assemble & sell.  Along with 2 yr warrant.

6 hours ago, graeme72 said:

I'm not seeing anything there worth the hassle of importing. If you want to service your own notebook, buy yourself a set of precision screwdrivers, you can find parts for anything online. If you want a notebook that 'lasts', any notebook will 'last' until the hardware is so out of date you want to throw it out of the window. Buy locally if you have any sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, graeme72 said:

Give up on that and get a refurbed military-spec Lenova Thinkpad. Designed from the ground up to be "field repairable" At least all X-?? and T-?? models are military spec.

I was a software engineer. Everyone I know now uses these, and the general consensus is that it's the best laptop we have ever owned.

We generally change the OS to Linux, but they come with windows installed, so you can continue with that if you must.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

I've used them all with shipments from the US. With DHL, I've always gotten wacked with the largest customs fees so I never use them any longer. I've had good results with FedEx. I now use the USPS Global facility as it's cheaper, pretty quick, and have always had good results with customs. 

My last 2 shipments using USPS from the states took in the region of 3 months, one of them traveled over 18,000 miles from the west coast to get to me. So the quick shipping is now questionable, though both cleared customs quickly and once in county delivery was fast.

If correctly declared / coded / valued (this is where most people go wrong and have issues) you should only get charged VAT (computers are zero duty) plus a handling fee even if you use a courier.

I've had stuff via DHL and FedEx without issue although I would normally avoid the couriers and use a regular postal service.

But as others have noted, why not buy here and get a warranty? Pretty much anything is readily repaired here (except maybe Apple kit). 

14 hours ago, graeme72 said:

Fuhgettaboutit

It's one thing to purchase this during a trip back home and bring it back.

Customs and the Excise Department have clamped down on electronics imports.

Unless the seller guarantees delivery (full refund) with prepaid VAT/duty/excise I steer clear of this endeavor.

Did you plan to import the finished product or the kit? Getting flashbacks to the old Dynaco amplifier kit days.

Regarding USPS...and don't toss in a deck of playing cards.

see the last post in this thread: https://aseannow.com/topic/1241360-us-customs-refuses-to-ship-i-phone/

And:

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/tz_004.htm

Country Conditions for Mailing — Thailand

Prohibitions (130)

Coins; banknotes; currency notes (paper money); traveler’s checks; securities payable to bearer; platinum, gold or silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles.

Firing caps and charged metal cartridges for small arms and non-explosive parts of artillery fuses.

Lithium cells and batteries — including items containing properly installed lithium cells and batteries under IMM 135.6 — mailed to or sent via Thailand.

Playing cards.

Finally, the importing of devices with radio transmitters (so Bluetooth and WiFi in the notebook the OP desires) has also drawn the attention of the authorities here, according to first-hand reports here and on FB. These are intermittent/random of course.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:04 AM, graeme72 said:

I'm looking for suggestions for the best (and ideally cheapest) way to send a laptop from the US. I've read that either DHL or Fedex

In the past, when Amazon US didn't send computers to Thailand, I opened an account with Shipito as I didn't have any other address in the US. I then chose Fedex as they were always easiest, no hold ups and just pay 7% on top (7% of your declared cost) to have the computer delivered to door in Thailand, took about 5 days shopping for it online to arriving in Thailand. Fedex costs were around 120USD so need to be a high end computer to make it worth while. Did it several times.

Last purchase I tried sending by Amazon from US direct to Thailand but that meant added sales tax and the Amazon shipping agent costs which was non negotiable (UPS). UPS also made things difficult in Thailand if you first import, by needing to see you and passport at BKK airport before releasing product, and overall the delivery cost was an extra 100USD that I might have paid before.

If there was a next time I would go back to Shipto/Fedex route.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, gargamon said:

Give up on that and get a refurbed military-spec Lenova Thinkpad. Designed from the ground up to be "field repairable" At least all X-?? and T-?? models are military spec.

I agree with many of the statements. Should things go wrong with the laptop, you're going to find it hard to get parts for it. Yeah, it has the cool factor, but there are plenty of laptops with better specs for lower prices.

Lenovo makes awesome laptops. I have both the T480s and the Legion 7 gaming laptops. Both are a breeze to upgrade/repair, though I have not needed repairs on either.

Looks like a surfacelaptop, why not just get one instead?

The good thing with the surface laptops is that you can get an accidental damage warranty. Which means is after 2 years you drop it and they give you a new laptop Can't beat that deal. Then sell it when the warranty runs out, it will be brand new.