Very few Thais have emergency funds to handle an unexpected situation: study

webfact

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Never a truer word was spoken! I mean physical laziness is one thing but I can't abide mental laziness. My wife has an utter aversion to sit and think through anything for even a minute, when she has nothing better to do apparently than scroll through Facebook for hours investigating other peoples lives. Forget planning, they seem to give every opportunity in life to set them selves up for failure. Have you ever seen 2 Thais organizing to meet somewhere? Meet you near Lotus on big road (the big road is 15km long and has 7 Lotus shops). I miss not having someone to bounce things off or give ideas. 

I thought it was just my experience ????

It's not a Thai thing; it's a manic female thing(hides).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I can’t think of a better example (although avocado toast seems to be the new example back in the US).  When I first came here in early 2011, just about every Thai I met would drink Starbucks frappucinos multiple times a week and laugh at me for drinking 10 baht coffees.  When I was derisively asked why I didn’t drink Starbucks, I replied “Starbucks is for poor people trying to look rich…I’ll bet that most rich people probably make their coffee at home and buy Starbucks stock instead of drinking their coffee”.

Haha, this resonated, I own Apple stock and a cheap Android phone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of them don't have the money.

But they do have a family farm where they can go and live.

There was a similar report, "most Americans couldn't pay an unexpected $500 bill"

Most of the world live hand to mouth, it's the way it is now, it's the way it's always been.

Foreigners love to bash Thais, but in reality they're probably more capable of surviving in an emergency than anyone in the western world, and as least they have no danger of freezing to death like many Brit pensioners every winter.

Good point. Also, plenty of western (or other) expats here are living pay check to pay check, running out before the end of the month and some neck deep in credit card debt. Those from the 'relatively' lower income bracket of 35-50k, I mean.

26 minutes ago, Denim said:

Do you have any reliable in depth links detailing this. I would be very interested to learn more about this. Thanks

I can send you a good link by PM (not allowed to link from it here).  But basically, as incomes for farmers went up during the scheme, they went into debt to expand operations and for other basic consumer based purchases.  Think of all the new pickups we would read about in Issan for example.

As incomes go up, people generally take on higher debt levels that are commensurate to the rise in incomes.  It wasn’t much different than the housing bubble in the US.  Then, when the game stops and incomes and asset valuations return to their true non-distorted market levels, the debtors can bo longer service the debt and then lose whatever collateral that was pledged in security for the loans.  In the US, it was houses, here in Thailand I guess we can assume it was farmland.

Debtors lose their assets to those who are cash rich after the bubble pops.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BumGun said:

Haha, this resonated, I own Apple stock and a cheap Android phone.

Yup…same here.  

I’m not sure that I know many Thais who don’t have IPhones.  

I had a 600 baht Nokia “dumb phone” for years when I first got here.  Upgraded to a ฿3000 smartphone.  Ex-gf bought an IPhone and gave me her “not good enough for her anymore” Samsung.  I’ve been using it for 4 years now and she’s probably on her 3rd IPhone by now.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

There is no such term in the Thai language as "emergency funds" Thais mostly lives from day to day, from the hand to the mouth...

"According to a financial literacy survey by the Bank of Thailand"

is there a Thai term for "Financial Literacy"? or do they just use the Chinese words......

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Foreigners love to bash Thais, but in reality they're probably more capable of surviving in an emergency than anyone

Both my in-laws have done a great job saving hard won wages.

I encourage my wife to save and she does a pretty decent job. Her sister with two daughters in university works hard and tries.

Her brother got into a financial mess but it's worked out. He's wiser for it.

I consider myself lucky

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Cipher said:

A few thoughts on this article. (1) It's really unfortunate that personal finance isn't taught in schools. People should have access to this info. If someone will translate and distribute I'll write/teach a beginners course for free.

(2) The quoted guy is right. Budgeting is critical and prioritizing the savings bucket before allocating the spending bucket is also the right move.

But at the same time like, if you're earning 30,000 and saving 10% that's like...$100 per month. Better than nothing but probably not gonna get you to where you want to be, either.

Man I hate these coffee examples (not sure why everyone uses coffee as the example). Specifically because saving 50 THB/day isn't enough to move the needle. 50*365 = 18,250 in increased savings per year. Less than $1,000. Like, I get that it's an illustrative example, but damn - everyone seems to paint coffee as the spending villain. Maybe I'm just triggered because I buy a lot of coffee ????

Anyway this brings me to the final point: (3) cutting spending is bounded on the lower end by zero. Can't spend less than 0. But increasing earnings really has no upper limit. Teaching people to be responsible with their money is important, but I feel that part of that financial responsibility ought to be making sure that you have enough income to live a good life while also being responsible on the savings/investment front.

The art of personal finance is walking the line between living well today and planning for the future. Starting early and expanding income is the best way to make sure you can do both.

I like my coffee like my women, cheap and from a 3rd world country 

• Haha 2

Wow...its a damn long thread where falang experts talked everything from Latte to Phone to cat pee, where Thais are overspending but not Lottery? That's where all supposed to be Savings are going...Poor are the biggest sucker of lotteries which has zero financial sense of all vices.

More now than ever, as the goons have been allowed 7 years of economic sabotage, combined with two years of surly, uneven shutdowns, the choice of low end vaccines, total decimation of the tourism industry, and countless other forms of destructive decisions and behavior. Out with the dastardly dinosaurs!

• Like 2

Yes, the lottery - a tax on the poor.

As all this covid hysteria turns countries inward I think foreigners will be singled out, double priced, taken advantage of even more than before. An attitude of - what are you doing here with your money and smiley face? Will develop.

Bubble tea, sweet expensive coffees, baked goods.

Many parents do very stupid things like giving their home to their children which they sell. Then, both have nowhere to live.

Cheap holidays in other people's misery - Rotten/Lydon

16 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Same could be said of USA citizens,

Like my sister "Susie Spendthrift".  She and her husband are lucky if they have 2 weeks worth of cash.  I loaned them $15,000. USD to have new shingles put on their house.  Not like they didn't see it coming for years. 

This was the reason my longest term Thai relationship ended. Her 22 yo son developed a bad case of colitis, without asking me she sent him to a private hospital and rung up a 47,000 baht bill over a weekend. No way any of them had that much on hand. I paid it and said this is the end.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

a large majority of Thai people don’t have enough money to handle an emergency situation for longer than three months

No problem, because that is offset by a tiny minority of Thai people who have "tucked away" more money than any of them could use up in a lifetime -- emergency situation or not.

16 hours ago, Denim said:

Do you have any reliable in depth links detailing this. I would be very interested to learn more about this. Thanks

I doubt whether there are any government statistics published about this but I believe that many foreigners have come across it. 

Thaksin is often criticised but was loved as he slowed this trend when bringing in the 30 baht health scheme as hospital costs were the main culprit. 

I had a gf whose family sold land and home to fund hospital costs for father. Another great guy refused to sell their house as he said he couldn't rest in death knowing his family were homeless. He got minimal health care. Buckets of tears in the telling. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

Good point. Also, plenty of western (or other) expats here are living pay check to pay check, running out before the end of the month and some neck deep in credit card debt. Those from the 'relatively' lower income bracket of 35-50k, I mean.

That's my car payment. 

11 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

That's twice you've posted here about Americans in debt. You do know this is a Thai forum right?

• Confused 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, webfact said:

A large majority of Thai people don’t have enough money to handle an emergency situation for longer than three months, especially during such a crisis as the pandemic.

In response the Thai government is currently negotiating with Dave Ramsey to conduct Thai Financial Peace University 

image.png.18929e89d6fff145ffb5ace0da3d2f4d.png

Edited by Longwood50

An expat would be wise to be keeping funds in the following assets:

Stocks/shares

Crypto

Luxury watches (esp. the big three; Rolex, Audemars and Patek)

Life and health insurance savings (I am in a life insurance policy from Samsung for tax rebate purposes)

LTFs and SSFs from Thai banks (again, tax rebates here)

Gold

Other precious metals

Your diversification will be up to your own preferences but that is what I recommend at the moment. 

Don't keep more than a million in a Thai bank either unless you absolutely have to, as it won't be protected when everything eventually goes tits up.

• Haha 1