Thailand considers triple AstraZeneca vaccine regimen to fight Omicron variant

webfact

18 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Thailand may have been late to start vaccinating but let’s give them credit for what l believe has been a great catch up. Personally I feel I was treated exceptionally well.

...i agree 100%...but they are/were late to adopt proven practices.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, dinsdale said:

Interestingly an Oxford uni research team, seperate from the vaccine makers, said that 3 AZ proving more effective.

Interestingly, Thailand is offering Pfizer "boosters," so that's what I took."

"Any port in a storm." ????

On 12/25/2021 at 9:47 AM, dinsdale said:

Restrictions are to flatten the curve. People will be off work for sure but not for long and then they have gained immunity. With the very rapid increase in infections it could be all over soon. A bit of short term pain with little health impact to society. As it is people get colds and spread it in the work place and some will get more severe cold symptoms and have to take time off of work. This is just happening all at once. There definitely seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.

I wouldn't dispute that scenario, but someone has to decide when the virus is safe enough to live with and they need to get that right or it could be back to square one.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:52 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps they should have listened to what the nurses were saying, i.e. not to make vaccines mandatory and give them better wages, fact of the matter in my opinion is that governments will take other measures as opposed to facing the problems at hand when faced with them, because they think that they know best.

Of course they know best, it is what the public decided, called democracy.

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 3:38 PM, ozimoron said:

Yes, that's economics 101.

The fear will end when the virus ends. The best way to end the virus is to get vaccinated.

Didn't you get the latest memo?

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/trump-covid-vaccine-one-of-greatest-achievements-mankind-owens-interview-2021-12

Vaccines are temporary, thats why they require endless boosters. How can they end the virus?

1 hour ago, Mike KIWI said:

Vaccines are temporary, thats why they require endless boosters. How can they end the virus?

The same way as vaccines ended Polio and Smallpox. By reducing the number of available hosts to such a low level that it can't transmit. Basic science. Eventually there will be more effective vaccines as well.  Delta was well on the way to being controlled by vaccines before omicron mutated in an unvaccinated person.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, billsmart said:

Interestingly, Thailand is offering Pfizer "boosters," so that's what I took."

"Any port in a storm." ????

I had 2 AZ. Booster which I thought would be mRNA due in May. I don't think I'll bring it forward three months if I don't have too. It's going to be an intersting month or two to see how this plays out. The whole thing may (?) be over by the time I am due for a booster.

On 12/25/2021 at 3:18 AM, Stoker58 said:

Last week my wife met with a senior consultant from one of the Bangkok hospitals on a non-medical business matter. I thought that her not being vaxxed might be a problem and sure enough that was one of the first questions he asked.

But no, he was not vaxxed either and he warned her in the strongest possible terms not to get vaxxed. 

Interesting, what reasons did he give her to support his warning?

21 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The same way as vaccines ended Polio and Smallpox. By reducing the number of available hosts to such a low level that it can't transmit. Basic science. Eventually there will be more effective vaccines as well.  Delta was well on the way to being controlled by vaccines before omicron mutated in an unvaccinated person.

Current vaccines don't reduce transmission, and please cite a source that omicron is a result of non-vaccination. Given its seemingly increased ability to infect the vaccinated, the opposite seems just as if not more likely. But I'm speculating, you seem to know for a fact where it came from, I'd love to see your sources. 

Edited by bananafish

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Oh yea like the way getting flu jabs ended the flu. seriously dude. what are you smoking. You cant vax against a virus that mutates like this. All you can do is maybe protect the vulnerable.  This virus will continue to spread no matter how many people get jabbed. Dont you know the vax doe not stop you getting it and it does not stop you transmitting it?

Just now, Mike KIWI said:

Dont you know the vax doe not stop you getting it and it does not stop you transmitting it?

I wish people would stop spreading this falsehood. 

IF there are 100,000 unvaccinated people and they are all exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus (of any variant including Omicron) more unvaccinated people would contract Covid-19 than if there were 100,000 fully vaccinated (and boosted) people exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus (of any variant). 

While vaccination does not offer 100% protection against contracting the virus (everyone knows that), it does provide increased protection from severe symptoms and an increase probability of outright protection compared to unvaccinated individuals. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bananafish said:

Current vaccines don't reduce transmission, and please cite a source that omicron is a result of non-vaccination. Given its seemingly increased ability to infect the vaccinated, the opposite seems just as if not more likely. But I'm speculating, you seem to know for a fact where it came from, I'd love to see your sources. 

Your claim is misinformed. Vaccines reduce transmission enormously. There are many, many links posted already to proof. I would post another one if that were not the case but since you haven't bothered to read posted links I will not.

It is thought by scientists that omicron is the product of a virus infection which mutated many times in a patient who is likely to also have had HIV as it would have taken time.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-omicron-variant-got-so-many-scary-mutations-so-quickly/

5 hours ago, Mike KIWI said:

Oh yea like the way getting flu jabs ended the flu. seriously dude. what are you smoking. You cant vax against a virus that mutates like this. All you can do is maybe protect the vulnerable.  This virus will continue to spread no matter how many people get jabbed. Dont you know the vax doe not stop you getting it and it does not stop you transmitting it?

Would you care to post evidence that a vaccine can't or won't eventually stop the virus? You are just guessing without any scientific evidence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Would you care to post evidence that a vaccine can't or won't eventually stop the virus? You are just guessing without any scientific evidence.

Umm, annual flu shot.

Edited by shdmn

8 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Umm, annual flu shot.

But 'the' virus that we are talking about is a Coronavirus, not a flu virus.  Influenza viruses are able to recombine with different strains and form an entirely new strain.  The original strains can come from birds, other mammals (especially pigs) and there is a human strain as well.   

Coronaviruses have an 'error editor' that drastically slows down mutations.  In spite of what it seems, there is a low rate of mutation in Coronaviruses.

13 hours ago, bananafish said:

Current vaccines don't reduce transmission, and please cite a source that omicron is a result of non-vaccination.

In the very early days of Omicron, this was indeed cited. South Africa presented  large unvaccinated numbers of people in which the infection had the maximum opportunity to mutate in host. It was even mentioned that the high percentage of AIDS in the population also presented more opportunity of immune compromised hosts. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 12/25/2021 at 8:54 AM, fredscats said:

There is no stopping it anyway,  Know of a few in UK 2xs AZ ,2xs booster still got it

You mean after having 2 booster shot, they still got infected? Then why the booster in the first place?

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

Umm, annual flu shot.

actual evidence. I could umm, polio shot as evidence that they do. The flu shot is a very different vaccine and we don't yet even have an omicron specific vaccine.

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

You mean after having 2 booster shot, they still got infected? Then why the booster in the first place?

No stopping it,friend UK  his Thai wife now bed ridden,after taking every shot,  4 in all,he himself may come down with it too,not feeling too good either

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

A vaccine can never stop a mutating virus. They can keep coming up with new vaccines to try to mitigate the effects of different variants but that is all. I am not sure what evidence you require.  Over time viruses tend to get more transmittable and less dangerous and covid seems to be following that path. Vax might help some vulnerable people deal with effects but thats about it.

1 hour ago, Mike KIWI said:

A vaccine can never stop a mutating virus. They can keep coming up with new vaccines to try to mitigate the effects of different variants but that is all. I am not sure what evidence you require.  Over time viruses tend to get more transmittable and less dangerous and covid seems to be following that path. Vax might help some vulnerable people deal with effects but thats about it.

All viruses mutate. Some viruses have been stopped by vaccines. Stop spreading misinformation and baseless fear mongering speculation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fredscats said:

No stopping it,friend UK  his Thai wife now bed ridden,after taking every shot,  4 in all,he himself may come down with it too,not feeling too good either

Was his Thai wife also in UK at that time?

Is her condition serious or just mild flu-like symptoms?

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Was his Thai wife also in UK at that time?

Is her condition serious or just mild flu-like symptoms?

Not been in TH for years,both of them,she is bed ridden,lot more than flu,but Ive read southern Asians come down with it harder

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I got a booster on 24 Dec. I was told it was Pfizer, but when I got my electronic record updated, it was listed as "Comirnaty"! I searched for that on the Internet, and found that it was Pfizer. I've never heard of this before. ????

Since late August Comirnaty is the trade name for the Pfizer's mRNA vaccine.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/meaning-behind-pfizerbiontechs-vaccine-moniker-comirnaty-180978535

On August 23, Pfizer-BioNTech's Covid-19 vaccine was granted official approval for use in individuals 16 years of age and older by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

With official FDA approval, the company was allowed to start marketing the vaccine with an official name, Comirnaty. Pronounced koe-mir'na-tee, the term was designed to represent a mash-up of the words Covid-19, community, immunity, and mRNA, the technology used in the vaccine, writes Insider's Dr. Catherine Schuster-Bruce, a health reporter and National Health Service medical doctor in the United Kingdom.

On 22 Dec I got my Pfizer booster jab...below is how it appears on my Mor Prom vaccine certificate.

image.png.b485796309c0a00c59b1833bd7494ef0.png

• Thanks 1