Thailand remains unprepared for another tsunami 17 years after last one – Thai experts

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Public disaster experts admitted Sunday that the Thai public is generally unaware of the danger posed by a repeat of a devastating tsunami, like that which struck many countries in Southeast Asia and around the Indian ocean, including the west coast of southern Thailand 17 years ago, and that there is a lack of a credible tsunami early warning system.

Don't worry I'm sure the "Go-fund-me" will work again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand has so many experts in so many fields, it should be called a "HUB" if they could only find people with common sense and who don't take brown envelopes and care about there citizens and country more than there own greed, God what am l saying sorry l forgot this is Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Hard to really.

Every Thai should learn to swim though.

Lots of drownings every year.

Unfortunately you can not outswim a Tsunami.......learning to swim ain't the answer.  The Tsunami warning systems buoy's are a right mess and not fixed as needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately you can not outswim a Tsunami.......learning to swim ain't the answer.  The Tsunami warning systems buoy's are a right mess and not fixed as needed.

Didnt the batteries go flat on them there buoys?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Didnt the batteries go flat on them there buoys?

One wonders if they were made in China Batteries or buoys for that matter....yes I went there.

SAIC | Sensor Buoys Help the World Track Tsunamis

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Hard to really.

I agree with the Thai nation needing to introduce school based learn to swim and water safety campaigns but how does knowing how to swim equip any human being in the face of  wave/s many metres high and carrying along with them bone crushing, body slashing debris.

As a highly experienced surfer of 50 years I can tell you it takes an extremely surf conscious swimmer to survive breaking waves ... this ability goes completely out the window when you are being struck and driven into all manner of hard sharp objects in the washing machine of a tsunami.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Hard to really.

I agree with the Thai nation needing to introduce school based learn to swim and water safety campaigns but how does knowing how to swim equip any human being in the face of  wave/s many metres high and carrying along with them bone crushing, body slashing debris.

As a highly experienced surfer of 50 years I can tell you it takes an extremely surf conscious swimmer to survive breaking waves ... this ability goes completely out the window when you are being struck and driven into all manner of hard sharp objects in the washing machine of a tsunami.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

wave/s many metres high

Tidal waves are actually surges of water.

Not waves like the movies.

Learning to swim is better than having a broken mega horn blasting run to the hills.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sadly, I'd be pretty confident in saying all these Asian counties affected 17 years ago would all be unprepared....... 

Unprepared for another Tsunami 

The OP quotes "there is a possibility of another tsunami in the life time of this generation, because a huge source of energy has accumulated under the Andaman Sea and is yet to be released in the form of an earthquake and tsunami."

To be precise, and at the risk of being pedantic, the issue is larger than the Andaman Sea. The huge 2004 tsunami was triggered along the north-western offshore of Sumatra, i.e. not in the Andaman Sea. That's part of the subduction zones along the Indian Ocean coastline of Indonesia.

Edited by gejohesch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:47 AM, Deli said:

Anyone surprised ? Being prepared is not on this Government's agenda. Unless it comes to buying watches, not ordering quality vaccines, unreasonable lock downs, prohibiting peaceful protests, overfilling prisons ...

This government wasn't in power 17 years ago was it?
What about the governments before it with massive corruption?