British man's visit to wife in Buriram turns into Covid Christmas Nightmare

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A British man aged 46 who had all the tests went to the village of Khok Wat in Ban Dan sub-district of Buriram in the north east of Thailand to visit his wife.

He arrived in Thailand for the festive season on December 20th, reported Daily News.

But by Christmas Eve he had developed a high fever and checks at the house revealed it was Covid-19.

He was whisked away immediately to Soon Buriram Hospital where checks are being made to see if it is the Omicron variant.

Also now infected are an 80 year old woman at the house. 

Among 14 other close contacts from 4 familes who have to isolate for two weeks is a P2 child. 

Phoo Yai Ban Sirilak Kanram said that the British man had also visited a local market two days before Christmas. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-27

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Sad 14
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

sounds to me like he got infected in Thailand, this is what happens when there is no mass testing going on, the virus could be rampant and you will only find out when someone gets sick, out of all the people involved in this, the only person very recently and extensively tested is the foreigner, logic tells me - it didn't originate with him 

Sure Smedlly, he arrived the 20th and 24th sick. too short to be a Thailand infection. So it's more than likely that he indeed brought it with him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, smedly said:

sounds to me like he got infected in Thailand, this is what happens when there is no mass testing going on, the virus could be rampant and you will only find out when someone gets sick, out of all the people involved in this, the only person very recently and extensively tested is the foreigner, logic tells me - it didn't originate with him 

So same as with the Kalasin cluster, how many places are there in Buriram where there are COVID19/Omicron infections where  the Brit in question had NOT visited.

So far there seems none.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Not if the incubation period for Omicron is 3 days.

True, i read its faster so maybe he got it in Thailand. But id bet there is more omicron in the UK then Thailand. But then again you could be right. Not going to bet on it. I was still thinking about the other variant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Caught it on the flight from

a Thai person ???

kidding of course… but this is what happens with all the speculation.

If reports are correct the incubation period of Omicron can be 3 days. 

Caught it at the first bar he popped into ??? I know, unlikely & odds are he brought the variant into Thailand from his home country or from the airport (transit or origin). 

That’s the risk of travel & point of quarantine. 
This sort of news plays into the hand of abolishing ‘test & go’ which would be devastating for any attempts at stimulating the tourism economy. 

Chances are higher he imported it, but nothing is sure. But yes this will destroy chances of test and go. ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Really, latest figure for Buriram was 4 new cases on the 24th Dec, not updated yet for latest.

So I guess they should start testing all the places the Brit gent hasn't been and, if there are positive cases, that proves they didn't get it from him.

Buriram province 2018 population about 1.6 million. Have fun.

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

So I guess they should start testing all the places the Brit gent hasn't been and, if there are positive cases, that proves they didn't get it from him.

Buriram province 2018 population about 1.6 million. Have fun.

Not sure I suggested they test 1.6m 

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not sure I suggested they test 1.6m 

no you asked if there had been a "decent size random testing" of 1.6 million.

But it seems to me they are doing a pretty decent job in following up on all those who might have had exposure to the Brit in question and that I guess would be a decent first priority.

Edited by jerrymahoney