Danish family placed in isolation in Thailand after daughter test positive for Covid-19

webfact

32 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If our weren't for adventurous travellers like vikings and hippies, you type would never have found Thailand. 

BS. nothing to do with selfish people like this thread is about.

Sorry no excuses for idiots here.

Vikings, honestly !!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't remember reading about the Vikings sailing up the Chao Phraya river, must have missed that one.

And whats my type , lets hear it  ?

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Silencer said:

Like what? Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Costa Rica, Colombia, Portugal, where? I would think any such opinion of "nicer" (meaning what? exchange rate, people, government, visa, climate, cost of living, food, scenery, healthcare, entertainment?) would be rather subjective but since you seem to know this as fact, please enlighten us on those much nicer places. Thailand has its downsides so I'm interested in learning of where it would be nicer for all of us?

Spain would be my choice as soon as it's easy to travel to.

4 hours ago, Silencer said:

Like what? Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, Costa Rica, Colombia, Portugal, where? I would think any such opinion of "nicer" (meaning what? exchange rate, people, government, visa, climate, cost of living, food, scenery, healthcare, entertainment?) would be rather subjective but since you seem to know this as fact, please enlighten us on those much nicer places. Thailand has its downsides so I'm interested in learning of where it would be nicer for all of us?

Edited by bradiston

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

And she is not a child at 18.  18 yr old can go to war, kill, be killed, do whatever they want without parental consent in most countries.  Age of consent in Denmark is 15.  She can sex, baby, abortion, go to adult prison.

This is just a picture of someone's child on holiday! 

It is totally inappropriate to talk about the girl's looks. If you can't see this, then maybe you have been hanging out in Soi Bukhao for too long. 

In my experience, the Thailand guy who quotes legal ages of girls usually looks like Bernarnd Trink, and acts the same.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I know this is unfortunate for the Family, but was it absolutely essential that they had a Holiday in a Foreign Country.

They could have stayed at home, and not had all the hassle and extra expense.

Not too much sympathy from me

Nobody cares about your sympathy.

It is not your position to make judgement on someone exercising a right to travel.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

As far from the creeps on this thread as possible. So quick to condemn. How many others have arrived in Thailand with no hassle? One family is extremely unfortunate, and suddenly they are the subject of sexist comments, jeering and mockery. A nasty bunch of wise guys if ever there was one. Welcome to expat Thailand - NOT! Enough to put anyone off coming here, forever.

I take issue with your use of the words "wise guys"...... they are not - they are forkin idiots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People should inform themselves about the risk of travelling. I have not invited my parents here for this reason, quarantine is a real risk. That is just how it is can only blame themselves for not checking this out. Plus of course the travel agency as they should inform travelers about this. 

I mean your traveling in covid times even in the Netherlands people need to isolate, and in Austria there is also forced isolation for Dutch citizen. So people should really check before they travel in these times.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

People should inform themselves about the risk of travelling. I have not invited my parents here for this reason, quarantine is a real risk. That is just how it is can only blame themselves for not checking this out. Plus of course the travel agency as they should inform travelers about this. 

I mean your traveling in covid times even in the Netherlands people need to isolate, and in Austria there is also forced isolation for Dutch citizen. So people should really check before they travel in these times.

Quarantine is a small risk - the stats prove that.

A risk nonetheless, and your post is valid in that an informed decision is required from those choosing to travel at this time.

My daughter and her partner just traveled from the UK; my biggest concern was a positive test on arrival (or a close contact). They are staying 3 months so it would not have been the end of the world. Their biggest concern was a positive test in the UK that prevented them traveling. All these risks were taken into account before traveling.

I still admire the German? lady who was quarantined in the Phuket Sandox scheme as a close contact of someone who tested +ve. She didn't whinge or whine like a baby, she was very philosophical and accepted that it was only 2 weeks out of her long stay plans.

A 3 week holiday?  That is a different story and UK friends have cancelled their 2 week holiday in Khao Lak.

Understand the risks; understand exactly what will happen if a positive test is returned. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

They are staying 3 months so it would not have been the end of the world.

That's an important point. Planing a long stay is different to a 2 week holiday and take the risk of beeing quarantained and missing your return flight.

• Like 2

Anybody who is still flying for only a short vacation of a couple of weeks, should be

doing a lot more thinking of the risks before going anywhere.  I do not have much sympathy for this family.

I hope they enjoy the experience of their isolation, as it seems that will be the bulk of their stay in Thailand.

Happy New Year.  I have a few friends who are still hoping to go to Thailand from January to April, so

it looks like they may have to plan more expenses to stay in their quarantine hotel for longer than just a few

days.  A sad story that could have been avoided by more thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But IMHO anyone bringing their teen female children to Thailand (at any time past or present) probably needs their heads examined.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Why are you saying that?

Some posters are naturally prone to hyperbole.

Edited by TimBKK

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

This is just a picture of someone's child on holiday! 

It is totally inappropriate to talk about the girl's looks. If you can't see this, then maybe you have been hanging out in Soi Bukhao for too long. 

In my experience, the Thailand guy who quotes legal ages of girls usually looks like Bernarnd Trink, and acts the same.

Don't do bars or travel in those circles, though nothing wrong with it, as consent adults & all.  So you're generalizing, and that usually fails.  I quoted Denmark law, which I searched before posting.

So she is considered above & beyond child issues, in all issues.  Do agree though, most quoting 'age of consent' does give me a pause for thought.  Though age has nothing to do with maturity, so there's that.  I do prefer to have a conversation with who ever I'm with, so 25+ works for me if ever looking again.  Whether they would look at me is a different story.

It's really bad luck to get a holiday ruined because of disease, but they knew the risk in advance, and took a chance. Getting sick when travelling with an travel insurance is a matter between the insurance company and the clients, so correct that a tour guide says that they shall contact SOS International that handles insurance matters. I don't see why this shall be a news story, there have already been a couple of news stories about Danes complaining about being isolated after they test positive for Covid-19.

I saw in my Thai newsfeed yesterday that 12 Sandbox arrivals and 30 Test & Go arrivals tested positive on Phuket 26th December. I don't know the number of total arrivals but could be around 4.000 based on the monthly number of arrivals, so risk for testing positive could be something like about 1:100, or 1 percent...????