Why does it seem that so many here prefer Pie and Mash?

GammaGlobulin

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I eat oats too, not because its cheap but because its easy. Bit of oats, some milk, some protein powder. Then let it soak and put in the microwave for a bit. Breakfast is ready. I add the protein powder as oats is not high in protein and its protein that keeps me from getting hungry.

As for that great English breakfast, taste wise it beats oats, but like you said it will kill you nor is good for weight control.

Overnight oats made with blueberries, strawberries and a touch of honey flavored greek yogurt mixed with lowfat milk is a great breakfast or mid day snack.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

In a dry wine, all the sugar has been converted to alcohol.

As yes! This is one of those alcoholic’s myths.

All wine is made from the process of converting the grape's innate sugar to alcohol via fermentation. Simply stated, if a wine's fermentation is stopped well before all of the sugar is converted to alcohol, the wine will contain more residual sugar and taste sweeter on the palate. 

Both dry red wines and dry white wines will tend to be lower in residual sugar levels, weighing in at 0.1-0.3 percent sugar per liter (or 1 to 3 grams of sugar per liter of wine). But the sugar is still there and it is what it does in your body afterwards that also adds up.

Alcohol really does a number on your blood sugars. Initially it raises them — especially if you're consuming mixed drinks. Moderate amounts of alcohol can cause blood sugar to rise, but once your body starts to process the alcohol, your blood sugar drops dramatically.

Alcoholic drinks account for 11% of the UK population’s daily intake of added sugar.

Despite this, many people forget to factor in what they drink when calculating daily sugar intake. All alcoholic beverages contain some sugar, fortified wines, sherries, liqueurs and cider are in  particular causes of excessive consumption. It’s also important to consider what you’re mixing your drinks with, as the carbonated drinks popular with spirits are often very high in sugar. 

Myth number 2? - "I can stop drinking whenever I want ... I just don't want to"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thunglom said:

As yes! This is one of those alcoholic’s myths.

All wine is made from the process of converting the grape's innate sugar to alcohol via fermentation. Simply stated, if a wine's fermentation is stopped well before all of the sugar is converted to alcohol, the wine will contain more residual sugar and taste sweeter on the palate. 

Both dry red wines and dry white wines will tend to be lower in residual sugar levels, weighing in at 0.1-0.3 percent sugar per liter (or 1 to 3 grams of sugar per liter of wine). But the sugar is still there and it is what it does in your body afterwards that also adds up.

Alcohol really does a number on your blood sugars. Initially it raises them — especially if you're consuming mixed drinks. Moderate amounts of alcohol can cause blood sugar to rise, but once your body starts to process the alcohol, your blood sugar drops dramatically.

Alcoholic drinks account for 11% of the UK population’s daily intake of added sugar.

Despite this, many people forget to factor in what they drink when calculating daily sugar intake. All alcoholic beverages contain some sugar, fortified wines, sherries, liqueurs and cider are in  particular causes of excessive consumption. It’s also important to consider what you’re mixing your drinks with, as the carbonated drinks popular with spirits are often very high in sugar. 

Myth number 2? - "I can stop drinking whenever I want ... I just don't want to"

Shtttt, on this forum never say anything bad about alcohol they will lynch you.

• Haha 1

Guest Isaanlife
2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Actually, this is an incorrect interpretation. Firstly there are many kinds f rice and most don't fit your premise. If they all lead to diabetes then it would be really much higher than in theWest which it isn't.

White rice, do your research or provide some facts. Any diabetic knows this.

16 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Sugar is in everything - sweet and savoury....Honey is sugar and by weight has more calories than honey , malt extract is sugar, it's in everything we eat - ketchup is about 90% sugar as are jams and chutneys. There is a lot of debate about "different" sugars but in reality they are pretty much the same. 

More crazy talk. There are 4g of sugar in 17g if ketchup. That's roughly 25%.

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"I steam a large chunk of broccoli."

"I would prefer a leg of lamb, but lamb is expensive here."

So is broccoli , 148 thb a Kg , at Makro this morning , 

regards Worgeordie

This comment  is either deeply worrying, sad, ironic or nonsense. A portion of 100 grams is appropriate  at a sitting which works out at less than 15 baht. This is not expensive

1 hour ago, Isaanlife said:

White rice, do your research or provide some facts. Any diabetic knows this.

there's tons ofstuff diabetics can't eat - but you are making a jump logic talking about white rice as if 

a - it is one single item

b- it is the reason for high diabetes rates in Thailand - either is true

Edited by Thunglom

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I asked my wife, "How do you want your eggs this morning?".

She shouted back, "fertilised!"

That's exactly the joke a chick in our science class cracked when we were like 13.

"And how do you like your eggs, Sarah"

"Fertilized, Miss"

The joke went over most of our heads, but Sarah got her ass whooped. 

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I asked my wife, "How do you want your eggs this morning?".

She shouted back, "fertilised!"

That's exactly the joke a chick in our science class cracked when we were like 13.

"And how do you like your eggs, Sarah"

"Fertilized, Miss"

The joke went over most of our heads, but Sarah got her ass whooped

Edited by 2009
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

This comment  is either deeply worrying, sad, ironic or nonsense. A portion of 100 grams is appropriate  at a sitting which works out at less than 15 baht. This is not expensive

But by the Kilo ......it is , the usual price is about 50 Baht a Kilo 

regards worgeordie

47 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The price went up ×3 in like a month.

It is more expensive than imported potatoes, chicken, pork, probably durian, lol.

Corn flakes (Nestle) and raisins, 5 out of 7 mornings for brekkie w/large coffee (3 tsp sugar).

Nothing wrong with sugar .... moderation.

Most store bought pie here is c r a p, and too heavy for first meal.  If wanting a pie, I'll just make beef stew.  Much healthier if that's a concern.

Edited by KhunLA

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Expensive is subjective, there are some things I don't buy here because i consider them expensive as im used to cheaper prices of it back home. Certainly a lot of the vegetables are cheap back home. I would not classify 148  bt  for Broccoli expensive. Especially as like you said you don't eat a whole KG. However you certainly eat more then 100 gram per sitting. 

I am amazed that people economize on food but still buy beer. Its a strange world. 

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am amazed that people economize on food but still buy beer. Its a strange world. 

Especially is sipping more than a couple everyday.  Will easily surpass there food budget.

We won't even discuss cigs ... as amazing how much they cost, and people still indulge.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Especially is sipping more than a couple everyday.  Will easily surpass there food budget.

We won't even discuss cigs ... as amazing how much they cost, and people still indulge.

Basically that was what i was referring at, a few a day can easily get higher as food budget.

To be honest up till a while back i was almost not cooking ordering everything with grab (heart of BKK so much choice) and i would easily go for 800bt+ a day on food. I changed it 1 1/2 month ago as it was not good for my diet. 

Preparing food myself is much better to cut weight and stay in shape.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I eat oats too, not because its cheap but because its easy. Bit of oats, some milk, some protein powder. Then let it soak and put in the microwave for a bit. Breakfast is ready. I add the protein powder as oats is not high in protein and its protein that keeps me from getting hungry.

As for that great English breakfast, taste wise it beats oats, but like you said it will kill you nor is good for weight control.

Make it the night before and put it in the fridge. No waiting in the morning. It's ready as soon as you get up.

• Like 1

Just now, phetphet said:

Make it the night before and put it in the fridge. No waiting in the morning. It's ready as soon as you get up.

The few minutes in the microwave and preparation of oats is not a problem. It does not break my basic rule that i don't want to put longer into preparing food then it takes me to eat it.

Im not sure i like cold oats, though overnight oats is a different kind of beast. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

The few minutes in the microwave and preparation of oats is not a problem. It does not break my basic rule that i don't want to put longer into preparing food then it takes me to eat it.

Im not sure i like cold oats, though overnight oats is a different kind of beast. 

Yes, and overnight oats are very creamy and tasty with the added fruit.

Edited by ThailandRyan

19 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

weird combo for sure, in which nationalities is this popular ?

bout the only thing i can eat after a night on large changs.

used to bring frozen meat pies from oz @ 25 baht each in my pre covid thailand swings.

cheap charlies delight! 

4 minutes ago, Bvor said:

bout the only thing i can eat after a night on large changs.

used to bring frozen meat pies from oz @ 25 baht each in my pre covid thailand swings.

cheap charlies delight! 

Meat pies and mashed potato after a night on the Changs..... is that to induce the vomiting ?

• Haha 1